In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 31

In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 31

A Chapter by Yosh
"

Marvin plans to do something special for Calista to show his appreciation for her.

"
Copyright ©2024 under United States Copyright office, Library of Congress. All rights reserved. This literary work is protected by the U.S. copyright laws. Reproduction and distribution of the work without permission is prohibited. The offender will be traced and will face the full extent of the legal ramifications as stipulated by the law.

Anything in bold is narration.


Anything highlighted in yellow is inner voices.


Anything in italics is stage directions.


Anything in bold and italics is context to the scene.


Anything highlighted in blue is numbered lines.


Anything highlighted in red is more information to the scene.


Episode 31:


April 25 2023. The day is Tuesday.


The girls go to work and Marvin begs his manager to give him the money he’s worked for to take Calista on a date after they both get off work.


Marvin

Line 1) Good day, sir. May I please speak with you?


His manager agrees by nodding his head.


Marvin

Line 2) I know it’s crazy to ask for this all too soon. But could I, by any chance, get my paycheck by the end of the day?


Marvin’s manager looks confused.


Manager

Line 3) Marvin, you’ll get your paycheck every 2 weeks.


Line 4) Marvin: 2 weeks? That’s way too long! How come I didn’t know about this earlier?


Marvin

Line 5) That’s news to me.


Manager

Line 6) It was in the papers that you signed.


*Shot of Marvin signing papers to officially be hired.


Marvin

Line 7) Right. I must’ve forgotten because I read through everything.


He didn’t read, he just got straight to signing.


Manager

Line 8) Right…


Marvin

Line 9) Well anyways, please hear me out.


Marvin

Line 10) You know I’m at that age where I’m looking for someone in THAT sort of way.


Marvin

Line 11) And I’ve found someone who’s caught my eye recently.


Marvin

Line 12) I really want to take her out to dinner, but I can’t do that because I don’t have enough money.


Manager

Line 13) Young man. How did you pay for yourself all this time before?


Marvin

Line 14) Uh. My parents did that for me.


Manager side-eyes Marvin.


Manager

Line 15) So, then why can’t you just ask your parents to lend you some money?


Marvin

Line 16) Uh. Because I’m trying to refrain from relying on them like I used to. It’ll make me independent, you know?


Marvin

Line 17) Listen, she’s really important to me. And I’m sure she’s the one. I just want to hang out with her all the time.


Marvin

Line 18) She’s showered me with so many gifts and I feel bad that I can’t do the same.


Marvin

Line 19) So, just help me out. Let me treat her tonight. As a way to show my appreciation for all she’s done for me.


The manager looks touched by Marvin’s words.


Manager

Line 20) Listen to me, Marvin. How serious are you about her?


Marvin says “huh” and is confused.


Marvin

Line 21) I-I’m very serious about her. I like her a lot.


Manager

Line 22) Promise me you’ll never let her go?


Marvin’s narration:


Line 23) About that…


Line 24) I’m falling for Calista. But I’ll have to let her go eventually.


Line 25) We live in completely different times. 


Line 26) She belongs to this time. And I belong to mine.


Line 27) We won’t make it. It can’t work between us.


Line 28) That’s inevitable for sure.


Line 29) But it’s something I can’t control.


Line 30) What I can control is how I spend my time with her now.


Line 31) Instead of brooding, I should appreciate all my moments with her.


Line 32) I won’t be able to reminisce about her in the future.


Line 33) What matters is what I do with the time I have now.


Manager

Line 34) Don’t let her be the one that got away.


Manager

Line 35) I also had someone like that before.



Manager

Line 36) I always think about what my life would be like if we had stayed together.


Manager

Line 37) It’s very bittersweet. A feeling I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.


Marvin

Line 38) I won’t let her go.


The manager smiles.


Manager

Line 39) Although it goes against the rules. I’ll make the cut this time around.


Manager

Line 40) I’ll give you the paycheck after you finish your shift today.


Marvin

Line 41) Yes! Thank you so much!


Manager

Line 42) You better keep your promise. Now get back to work.


Marvin

Line 43) You got it Boss.


Marvin clocks out of work and his manager hands him his paycheck.


Marvin is changing clothes in the bathroom (he brought a bag with himself)


Marvin’s narration:


Line 44) The plan is to pretend like I went on a date with someone from that dating app.


Line 45) I’ll tell Calista it didn’t work out and that I already reserved a spot.


Line 46) I think that’ll make her stay with me.


Line 47) Well, here goes nothing.


Marvin rings Calista. Calista sees that Marvin is calling and picks up.


Calista

Line 48) Hey, Marvin!


Marvin

Line 50) Hey, Calista. How are you doing?


Calista

Line 51) Eh. I’m alright. Just had a boring day at work.


Calista

Line 52) Are you heading home soon?


Marvin

Line 53) Uh. Actually I was planning on going on a date after work…


Marvin

Line 54) And it got canceled.


Marvin

Line 55) Only issue is that I already reserved a spot at a restaurant.


Calista

Line 56) I’m sorry to hear that. Why does canceling dates seem to be a recurring thing for you? You’re the perfect date.


Marvin blushes.


Shortcuts to Calista and she is also blushing but in an embarrassed way.


Line 57) Calista: Wait. Did I really just say that? He’s gonna get the wrong idea.


Calista

Line 58) Uh. I-I mean that you just seem like a good candidate for those reasons. It’s strange so many people are canceling on you.


Calista

Line 59) A-Anyways, you said you reserved a spot?


Marvin

Line 60) Yeah. I did it a while ago.


Calista

Line 61) Are you having trouble canceling the reservation? You know you can do that. Right?


Line 62) Marvin: Why didn’t I think of that? Now what am I going to say to get her to come?


Calista

 Line 63) Is that something the restaurant can’t do?


Marvin

Line 64) U-Uh. Yeah. They said they can’t do that.


Calista

Line 65) What kind of restaurant can’t cancel a reservation?


Marvin

Line 66) T-This one apparently.


Calista

Line 67) Can’t you just not go?


Line 68) Marvin: What can I say to excuse this?


Marvin

Line 69) Uh. They’ll charge a fee if I do that.


Calista

Line 70) That’s absurd! Well, how much is the fee?


Marvin

Line 71) Expensive. I was thinking instead of paying for the fee. Why don’t you and I go together?


Calista

Line 72) You and me?

Marvin

Line 73) Yeah. Consider it a token of my appreciation towards you. 


Marvin

Line 74) Listen, you’ve done so much for me, Calista. Both you and Talulla.


Marvin

Line 75) I’ll get Talulla back another time. But just for today let me take you out to dinner.


Marvin

Line 76) Not in that WAY, obviously. I always took my friends out for dinner back in my time too.


Marvin

Line 77) I just want to show you how much I appreciate all you’ve done for me. As a friend, of course.


Marvin

Line 78) So, what do you say? Can you come?


Marvin

Line 79) It’ll be a waste of money. Don’t you think?


Marvin

Line 80) Just let me provide you company, since you said you had a boring day.


Calista is blushing on the other line of the phone.


Calista

Line 81) Well. Um. Alright then. I’ll come. It might take me a while to get ready, though.


Marvin smiles.


Calista

Line 82) Before I end the call. What should I wear?


Calista gets dressed in something casual but sort of dressy-like.


Calista’s narration:


Line 83) He just wants to go as friends.


Line 84) Nothing more nothing less.


Line 85) He just wants to take you out to reciprocate for all the times you’ve helped him.


Line 86) Saying ‘no’ would be rude. Go, since he’s made such an effort.


Line 87) On top of that. What he planned to do today was canceled.


Line 88) You should cheer him up. He must be bummed out.


Line 89) Besides you’re bored anyways. This will make your day.


Calista makes it to the restaurant and sees Marvin sitting outside waiting for her.


She takes a deep breath and walks toward him.


Calista

Line 90) Hey there Marvin! Did you wait long? I tried to get ready as fast as I could.


Marvin glances at Calista and is shocked by how pretty she looks.


Marvin

Line 91) Wow!


Line 92) Marvin: She’s so beautiful. 


Marvin

Line 93) E-Excuse me. Where are my manners?


Calista sits down in front of him.


Calista

Line 94) Oh, don’t worry. You look very dapper yourself.


Marvin blushes.


Marvin

Line 95) Why thank you.


Marvin

Line 96) You look stunning.


Calista blushes.


Calista

Line 97) Thank you.


Marvin gives the menu to Calista.


Marvin

Line 98) Pick anything you’d like.


Calista

Line 99) Don’t you dare say my treat.


Marvin

Line 100) Too late. My treat.


Calista

Line 101) No, Marvin. I’m not letting you do that.


Marvin

Line 102) Didn’t you hear what I said on the phone? I’m taking you out for dinner. Not the other way around.


Calista

Line 103) At least let me pay for what I order.


Marvin

Line 104) I’m taking the check for the both of us.


Calista

Line 105) Ugh. Fine. You win.


Marvin

Line 106) Yeah I do. I won at un@ the other day.


Marvin’s narration:


Line 107) As much as I miss home.


Line 108) I love hanging out with Calista so much.


Line 109) I want this moment to last forever.


Line 110) I want to give her the world.


Line 111) I want her to be the happiest girl in the world.


End of episode.



© 2024 Yosh


Author's Note

Yosh

Please ignore any grammatical errors as this was written a while ago. If you would like to read a more current version, please head over to Wattpad and search up, "In Another Lifetime by Yosh (wattpad formatted version)." From there you can find 31 episodes that are updated and formatted for the reader to better understand. Thank you for reading! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



In Another Lifetime By Yosh


Author

Yosh
Yosh

About
Someone that found a way to express themselves through writing. more..

Writing