In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 14

In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 14

A Chapter by Yosh
"

Calista and Marvin get themselves situated through the new day and get ready to call Elouise to seek more information out of her.

"
Copyright ©2024 under United States Copyright office, Library of Congress. All rights reserved. This literary work is protected by the U.S. copyright laws. Reproduction and distribution of the work without permission is prohibited. The offender will be traced and will face the full extent of the legal ramifications as stipulated by the law.

Anything in bold is narration.


Anything highlighted in yellow is inner voices.


Anything in italics is stage directions.


Anything in bold and italics is context to the scene.


Anything highlighted in blue is numbered lines.


Anything highlighted in red is more information to the scene.


April 17 2023. The day is Monday. It's morning.


Episode 14:


Marvin woke up and observed the time from the stand-by clock besides the couch.


Line 1) Marvin: It’s only 7:37 AM. That’s quite early.


*Gets a flashback of Calista telling him he can sleep in this morning.


Line 2) Marvin: I should try heading back to sleep. I’m not in any sort of rush to be up right now.


He ponders trying to go back to sleep, but ends up staring at the ceiling.


Line 3) Marvin: Ugh, I can’t. Once I’m up. I’m up.


Marvin gets himself up and rubs his face a bit.


Line 4) Marvin: Calista is most likely asleep. I don’t want to bug her.


Line 5) Marvin: What am I going to do?


Line 6) Marvin: I guess I could get ready.


Marvin looks over at the bathroom door which had its light off.


Line 7) Marvin: Alright, the bathroom looks unoccupied. I should head in.


Marvin tidies up in the bathroom, while he does he notices a straightener in the bathroom unplugged on the counter. He picks it up and examines it.


Line 8) Marvin: Huh? What could this be?


Line 9) Marvin: I was the last person in there yesterday. Could this be Talulla’s? She probably used it before she went to work.


Line 10) Marvin: I’m sure it’s nothing. But I’m so confused as to what this contraption is.


He sets it down and continues to get ready.


Shot pans to Calista getting awakened by her alarm for 8:00 AM.


She turns off her alarm and stretches and gets up.


Line 11) Calista: I have a feeling that Marvin would get up early. So, I did too because I wouldn’t want to keep him waiting.


Line 12) Calista: I should go check if he’s awake. If he’s still asleep I’ll head back to bed.


Calista goes to the living room to see that the couch Marvin was sleeping on was tidied up with all the sheets. She looked at the bathroom and saw that the lights were on.


Line 13) Calista: What an early bird.


Calista heads back to her room and does her bed. Then she goes to the kitchen with the thought of making breakfast.


Line 14) Calista: To make use of my time while he’s getting ready. I should make breakfast again like last time.


She opens her fridge and peers in to see what she could make.


Line 15) Calista: Making eggs two days in a row is quite repetitive. What else could I make?


She opens her freezer and sees frozen fruit. She grabs a package and looks at the expiration date.


Line 16) Calista: What a relief. Smoothie bowls it is.


As Calista assembles breakfast for the both of them, Marvin peers into the kitchen. All clean and refreshed while Calista stands next to him with her pajamas and messy bun. They smile at each other.


Marvin

Line 17) Good morning.



Calista

Line 18) Good morning. Breakfast is almost done.


Marvin

Line 19) Glad to hear it.


As Calista finishes up, she sets the bowls in front of each other signifying they would be facing each other while they ate breakfast. They begin to eat.


Marvin

Line 20) This is quite pretty. What is it?


Calista

Line 21) Oh. It’s a smoothie bowl.


Marvin

Line 22) Huh? But aren’t smoothies considered drinks?


Calista

Line 23) Smoothies still are. But a smoothie bowl has a thicker consistency, therefore it’s classified as a meal? I think?


Line 24) Calista: What was I thinking serving a guy from the 60s a smoothie bowl?


Line 25) Calista: This must be a huge shock for him.


Calista

Line 26) I’m so sorry. Would you like me to make you something else instead?


Marvin

Line 27) Oh. No. That’s not what I meant. This is alright.


Marvin

Line 28) It’s just a bit surprising. But I’m sure it’ll fill me up though. So, don’t worry.


Calista nods her head and they continue to eat.


Marvin

Line 29) So why are you up so early? I thought you said it was okay for us to sleep in?


Calista

Line 30) Oh. Well. I just thought I should wake up a bit earlier than usual, just in case you would as well.


Calista

Line 31) I wouldn’t want to keep you waiting. Especially since you’d have nothing to do.


Marvin

Line 32) I appreciate it. But you don’t have to keep adjusting your schedule just because of me.


Calista

Line 33) It’s alright. I really don’t mind at all.


Marvin

Line 34) Talulla probably went to work, right?


Calista

Line 35) Yes, her shifts usually start at 7:00 AM.


Marvin

Line 36) What does she do?


Calista

Line 37) She works at a pet shop.


Marvin

Line 38) Oh. That sounds nice.


Calista

Line 39) Yeah she loves her job.


Marvin

Line 40) I’m sorry for bugging you with so many questions. But there was this clampy thingy with a plug on the counter bathroom. Could you explain what that could be?


Calista

Line 41) Huh? Clampy thingy?


Calista

Line 42) Ohh. You must be talking about the flat-iron. It straightens your hair.


Marvin

Line 43) Huh, so that’s how they look nowadays. 


Marvin

Line 44) Sorry. I’m just still adjusting.



Calista

Line 45) Don’t apologize. I don’t want to keep you wondering. So ask as many questions as you want.


They finish eating breakfast, and Calista washes the dishes. She notices Marvin sitting around not doing much.


Calista

Line 46) So, what do you usually do in your free time?


Marvin

Line 47) Many things like: listening to the radio, cooking food, doing chores, watching TV, reading, sending mail, talking on the telephone, hanging out with friends. You know stuff like that.


Calista gets shocked from the detail of his response.


Line 48) Calista: That was more than I expected.


Calista

Line 49) Don’t you ever get bored sometimes?


Marvin

Line 50) Well of course, but I try to get involved in tasks to keep myself occupied.


Calista

Line 51) Hmm. Okay gotcha.


Marvin

Line 52) What about you?


Calista

Line 53) Well it’s not as recreational as your tasks, but I just go on my phone.


Marvin

Line 54) I bet you have many friends to call.


Calista

Line 55) Well, nowadays you can do anything on your phone.


Calista

Line 56) Being completely honest. I barely use my phone for calling people.



Marvin

Line 57) Wow. So by anything, what do you mean?


Calista

Line 58) Think of a modern phone as a compact TV.


Calista

Line 59) You can watch all sorts of things. Play games. Order food. You can even use it as a GPS.


Marvin

Line 60) Huh? A GPS? You mean the satellite navigation?


Calista

Line 61) Yes, but nowadays we use it to navigate locations. Was that not a thing back in the 60s?


Marvin

Line 62) I really don’t know what you could be talking about.


Calista

Line 63) GPS stands for: global positioning system. So it’s like a map or an atlas.


Calista

Line 64) However, you can just search up a destination and easily have the directions pinpointed for you. All you have to do is follow where it leads to. So, it’s less complex than reading a full on map.


Marvin

Line 65) Wow. So you don’t have to memorize where places are?


Calista

Line 66) You still can. But innovations like these help you out.


Calista

Line 67) Think of modern inventions as ways to make your life easier.


She finishes washing the dishes.


Calista

Line 68) Anyways, I think your clothes should be dry by now.


Calista checks and pulls out his stuff. She notices that his blouse is a bit wrinkly.


Calista

Line 69) I’ll get this steamed for you when I get changed.


Calista

Line 70) Can you occupy yourself with something while I get ready?


Line 71) Calista: It’s a bit childish to say that out loud, but it’s an important question.


Marvin looked confused; he didn't know what to say.


Calista

Line 72) Here. Take my phone. You can explore how to use it. 


She writes down her password on a sticky note. Then shows him how to maneuver her phone.


Calista

Line 73) Just swipe your finger up like that. And type the password from the sticky note in.


Marvin

Line 74) This is crazy.


Calista

Line 75) Yeah, I can’t imagine how shocked you must be.


Calista

Line 76) Anyways, I’ll be quick.


Marvin

Line 77) Take your time.


Calista gets ready and finishes steaming Marvins shirt.


Calista

Line 78) Alright, I’m back. Here’s your shirt.


She hands it to him on a hanger.


Marvin

Line 79) Oh. Thank you so much.


She glances at her phone and sees Marvin on the home screen.


Calista

Line 80) So, did you do much exploring?


He hands over her phone.


Marvin

Line 81) I’ve been stuck on whatever this is for the past 20 minutes.


Calista laughs.


Calista

Line 82) Someday I'll show you how to use a phone properly.


Marvin

Line 83) That would be very helpful because I had no idea what I was doing.


Marvin puts on his clothes and heads into the living room to see Calista writing on a piece of paper.


Marvin

Line 84) Are you planning on what you should say?


Calista

Line 85) Yeah. I want to avoid sounding awkward or suspicious when I say things to her.


Marvin

Line 86) What have you written so far?


Calista hands over her paper to marvin.


What the paper reads:


Hello Ma’am my name is Calista Turner.


I’m calling you on behalf of your granddaughter Teresa Douglas. 


She’s a close friend of mine, and gave me your mobile so that I could connect to you to ask you some questions.


I have a friend of mine who is searching for his cut-off family.


He found some things around his house in relation to you. I eventually spoke to Teresa upon those things, and she was able to verify them.


I was wondering if you could tell me a bit of information about your cut-off family, if you're okay with opening up about that. 


It could really benefit my friend in the long run, so I appreciate all you can tell me.


Marvin reads through the paper.



Marvin

Line 87) So far, it sounds good.


Calista

Line 88) Based on what you know of her communication style, do you think this will be okay enough to get through to her?


Marvin sat silent a bit, trying to relate what Calista wrote to the way Elousie talks.


Marvin

Line 89) Based on what I can gather, she's blunt, so she might talk in an unwelcoming tone, especially since you're a complete stranger asking about her family.


Marvin

Line 90) On the other hand, she might speak differently now that she's older.


Marvin

Line 91) All in all. I can’t give you a straightforward answer because I don’t know her current circumstances well.


Marvin

Line 92) But, it might be weird that you’re calling instead of me. So, maybe come up with an excuse for why you’re calling on my behalf.


Calista

Line 93) Oh! Good point. What do you think I should say?


Marvin

Line 94) Maybe instead you can say that you're the one calling to know more instead?


Marvin

Line 95) Instead of saying that you’re calling for a friend, just make yourself the friend and ask to know more about your cut-off family because you think you have relations to them.


Marvin

Line 96) If you’re calling for a friend, I don’t think she’ll be comfortable enough to open up to you about it since she’s not directly speaking to the person who wants to know.


Marvin

Line 97) If you say that the person is busy or some excuse to why he can’t talk on the phone directly to her at the moment. She’ll probably reschedule to talk another time when they’re available to speak to her one on one.


Calista

Line 98) Yeah, that makes sense.


Calista gets a flashback to Teresa saying she would give her grandma a heads up about the conversation.


Calista

Line 99) Wait, but don’t you remember what Teresa said?


Marvin

Line 100) She said many things. What are you referring to?


Calista

Line 101) She said before we decide to call Elouise she would call first to give her a heads up.


Calista

Line 102) So, she probably already told her everything by now. Which means we can’t say what you just had in mind.


Marvins face changes to realization.


Marvin

Line 103) Right. That completely slipped my mind.


Marvin

Line 104) At this point there are several possibilities to what she might say.


They write down each circumstance.


Circumstance 1: Elouise didn’t get intel from Teresas. So, Calista can just say she needs the information for a friend of hers.


Circumstance 2: Elouise knows about the ENTIRE situation from Teresa and would like to talk to Jimmy (Marvin) personally rather than Calista calling in for him. If this happens and she agrees to meet up, Marvin will go talk to her in disguise and hopefully she doesn’t notice him.


Calista

Line 105) Well here goes nothing.


Calista dials the phone number on the sticky note that Teresa gave her and calls Elouise.


Calista

Line 106) Maybe it’s a bit early to call her?


Marvin

Line 107) Old people are up early anyways so it should be fine.


Calista is obviously nervous.


Marvin

Line 108) Calista.


Calista faces Marvin.


Marvin

Line 109) It’ll be fine. If she rejects us, we have other things we can resort to.


Calista

Line 110) Yeah, you're right.


Line 111) Calista: There’s no need for me to be so nervous. Everything will be okay.


Elouise picks up.


End of episode.



© 2024 Yosh


Author's Note

Yosh
Please ignore any grammatical errors as this was written a while ago. If you would like to read a more current version, please head over to Wattpad and search up, "In Another Lifetime by Yosh (wattpad formatted version)." From there you can find 14 episodes that are updated and formatted for the reader to better understand. Thank you for reading! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



In Another Lifetime By Yosh


Author

Yosh
Yosh

About
Someone that found a way to express themselves through writing. more..

Writing