In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 11

In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 11

A Chapter by Yosh
"

Once Calista sits beside Marvin to console him after hearing bad news from Teresa about his family, she learns more about him that piques her interests.

"

Copyright ©2024 under United States Copyright office, Library of Congress. All rights reserved. This literary work is protected by the U.S. copyright laws. Reproduction and distribution of the work without permission is prohibited. The offender will be traced and will face the full extent of the legal ramifications as stipulated by the law.


Anything in bold is narration.


Anything highlighted in yellow is inner voices.


Anything in italics is stage directions.


Anything in bold and italics is context to the scene.


Anything highlighted in blue is numbered lines.


Anything highlighted in red is more information to the scene.


Episode 11:


April 16 2023. The day is Sunday.


Calista and Marvin are still talking to each other at the window sill.



Marvin

Line 1) All that you said was right. I should try not to worry too much about this whole situation. The reason I’m here with you guys is because I’ve been given this second chance to redeem myself.


Calista

Line 2) Yeah. Exactly.


Marvin

Line 3) I agree with everything you said except the part where you claimed that it’s your duty to help me. 


Calista

Line 4) B-But, I really think that it’s my duty to help you. That’s why out of everyone this could’ve happened to. It happened to me and Talulla.


Marvin

Line 5) That’s one way to put it. But the way I see it is that you can choose to help me through this, or you can walk away from it.


Marvin

Line 6) Don't feel forced to help me.




Marvin

Line 7) In the end, it was you and Talulla who initiated the whole process of giving me this second chance.


Marvin

Line 8) This amazing opportunity wouldn’t have been possible without you all.


Marvin

Line 9) The both of you have given me a new purpose in life.


Calista looked shocked.


Marvin

Line 10) Both of you have already done enough to help me. So, you don’t have to continue if you don’t want to.


Calista’s narration:


Line 11) But I want to continue.


Line 12) As I’m affiliated in this situation. I don't think I've fully played my part just yet.

 

Line 13) I’ll continue helping him until we achieve his goal.


Line 14) It’s something I feel like I’m destined to do.


Calista

Line 15) Marvin, I want to continue helping you.


Marvin looked confused.


Line 16) Marvin: Why would someone put themselves in this type of situation when they have the option not to?


Calista

Line 17) I want to help you get home. But I also want to help you for myself.


Calista

Line 18) In my point of  view, this is the role I play in helping you achieve your goal.


Calista

Line 19) I just know that I’m doing this for you and because I want to.



Marvin

Line 20) Hmm. Well then I guess I could use all the help I can get.


Calista

Line 21) That’s the spirit!


Calista

Line 22) Wanna shake on it?


Marvin

Line 23) This isn’t some sort of bet though.


Calista

Line 24) Just let it be proof that I’m devoted to helping you.


Calista lets out her hand. Marvins looks at it and hesitates for a bit, but then shakes it with her.


Marvin

Line 25) I’m just still a bit frustrated from not knowing exactly what went so wrong.


Calista put her hand on Marvins shoulder. He glances at her hand a bit confused


Calista

Line 26) Maybe if you open up a little, I could help you come to a clear understanding of our priorities.


Marvin

Line 27) So what should I tell you?


Calista

Line 28) Tell me more about your relationship with Elouise.


Marvin

Line 29) Elouise and I met each other through her brother, Todd Hall.


We get a flashback of him meeting Todd. Then at the dinner party.


Marvin

Line 30) I’ve known Todd since University. And one time he invited me to this house party for a promotion he got at his job. There he introduced me to his sister Elouise.


Marvin

Line 31) Right off the bat, there was something so captivating about her. And this made me want to know more about her.


Blurry shot of him arguing with his father.


Marvin

Line 32) However, during that time I was having issues with my father who heavily forced me to take control of his business.


Marvin was drinking that night a lot.


Marvin

Line 33) So being the stressed out guy that I was, I got heavily drunk at the house party that night.


Characters start talking in the flashback. Todd is standing over Marvin who is passed out on his couch.


Todd

Line 34) Hey, El! Could you do me a favor?


Elousie walks over and sees Marvin.


Todd

Line 35) Could you take Marvin home? I’m really busy tidying up my place after the party.


Todd

Line 36) He has a big meeting tomorrow and I think it’s best that he spends the night at his home.


Elouise

Line 37) Uh. Sure. I guess I’ll do it. Just give me his address.


Todd writes it on a sticky note and gives it to her.


Todd

Line 38) It’s about 15 minutes away from here, door number 108. Also, he has a clock by his nightstand so set him an alarm for 7AM. 


Elouise

Line 39) Fine. Help me get him into my car.


Marvin is inside of Elouise’s car as she drives him home.


Once she arrives at the destination she opens her car back door and grabs onto his shoulder to get him up.


Line 40) Elouise: Gosh he’s so heavy. Why was I burdened with the job of taking him home?


After struggling to get him up the steps to his apartment door.


Line 41) Elouise: Okay, we’ve made it. But how am I supposed to get in? There’s no key.


Line 42) Elouise: Could it be in his pockets? I should check.


Elouise rummages through Marvins pockets and eventually finds his key.


Line 43) Elouise: Bingo!


She gets him in bed and tucks him in.


Line 44) Elouise: Alright we’re all set. He owes me big after this.


Elouise gets a good look at his face. 


Line 45) Elouise: He’s lucky he’s this handsome. Or else I wouldn’t have agreed to help him so easily.


Goes back to Marvin explaining and then meeting again.


Marvin

Line 46) We eventually met again, and she explained to me how she took me home that night.


Marvin

Line 47) Since the help was highly appreciated by me, I wanted to see if I could pay her back in some way.


Marvin

Line 48) After all, it was my fault for getting so drunk. I was being irresponsible.


Characters start talking in this flashback.


Marvin

Line 49) I can’t thank you enough for that night. I would’ve been busted if I hadn’t gotten up in time for that meeting.


Elouise

Line 50) So why don’t you make it up to me?



Marvin

Line 51) I was actually thinking of that myself.


Marvin

Line 52) What’d you have in mind?


Elouise

Line 53) Take me out on a date.


Goes back to Marvin explaining.


Marvin

Line 54) I didn’t expect her to ask me something like that, but I was not in any position to deny her request. So, I agreed since it seemed like a fair way to compensate her.


They are on a date in a restaurant talking. Marvin continues explaining the story though.


Marvin

Line 55) That night I learned a lot about Elouise.


Marvin

Line 56) One thing I knew for certain after our date, was that I had no intention in pursuing her any further.


Marvin

Line 57) She was nice to me. But when it came to the waiter who was serving our meals, it’s like she became a completely different person.


Characters start talking in flashback.


Elouise

Line 58) I'm pretty sure my date ordered a Shirly Temple with no ice. But you gave him ice anyway. 


Marvin

Line 59) Don’t worry It’s no big deal-


Elouise

Line 60) I will have you know that my father is a very wealthy man who could easily get you fired from this darn place. So I suggest you get him a new drink, if you want to keep your job.


The waiter nervously gulps and takes his drink to get him a new one.



Waiter

Line 61) I’m very sorry ma’am. I’ll get you a new drink, sir.


Marvin is shocked as the waiter exits.


Elouise

Line 62) So, you were saying Marvin.


Marvin continues explaining to Calista.


Marvin

Line 63) She’s the type of person who uses her wealth to power over people. And I didn’t like that one bit.


Marvin

Line 64) What shocked me most was how she was the complete opposite of her brother.


Marvin

Line 65) She asked me out again after that, but I politely refused her.


Marvin

Line 66) Regardless of my rejection towards her, she was still interested in me, which caused pry further and further.


Elouise looking at him at a party with loving eyes.


Marvin

Line 67) When it came to my father urging me to get married to take control of his business. She was the first person that came to mind for him.


Marvin

Line 68) Although I wasn’t interested in her in that way, I was considering pursuing her again. But only as my last resort so my father would stop breathing down my neck about his business obligations.


Marvin

Line 69) And knowing that I eventually marry her. I’m assuming that my feelings for her never changed. Which is why our relationship didn’t work out in the long run.


Gets back to present time when Marvin is explaining to Calista.


Calista

Line 70) So, to conclude you never fell in love with someone throughout your whole course in life?


Marvin

Line 71) Um. Well that’s a blunt way to put it. But I guess you’re not wrong.


Calista

Line 72) Well then don’t you think that’s your unfulfilled duty?


Marvin

Line 73) I mean now that you bring it up. That could be a possibility.


Calista

Line 74) I was thinking we could call Elouise tomorrow to see if she could explain a bit more, or perhaps agree to meet up with me.


Calista

Line 75) So, from what she says we’ll be able to see if what we think matches up.


Marvin

Line 76) But do you really think it’s love? Something that pathetic seems unreasonable for all this time traveling fiasco to occur.


Calista

Line 77) It’s the only thing that adds up at the moment. And the fact that you think love is unreasonable explains a lot.


Marvin

Line 78) Why does that explain a lot?


Calista

Line 79) Because love is not pathetic.


Marvin

Line 80) Think about it. Does it seem like a valuable reason for me to time travel and fulfill it?


Calista

Line 81) I think so. Love is a huge aspect of life itself.


Calista

Line 82) And if Elouise is the only person you’ve ever married and then you get divorced and allegedly don't do anything else from what we know so far. That means that you’ve never been in love romantically throughout your entire life.




Marvin

Line 83) Just because I’ve never been in love romantically doesn’t mean that I didn’t live a fulfilling life. 


Calista

Line 84) From what we know so far it seemed to impact your life substantially, which is why you traveled to this time to fulfill it. That’s just my guess at the moment. But we’ll find out more tomorrow.


Marvin

Line 85) All of this seems like a waste of time if it’s for a reason like that.


Calista

Line 86) Well maybe it stems deeper than romantic love. What if it’s just love, period?


Calista

Line 87) Is there anyone in your life that you love?


Marvins looks confused.


Marvin

Line 88) I mean I love my friends. That’s pretty much it.


Calista

Line 89) I mean considering the fact that you have a complicated relationship with your dad, from what I’ve heard so far. That makes sense.


Calista

Line 90) But has there been anyone in your life that you’ve loved? As in past-tense.


Marvins eyes light up.

Marvin

Line 91) Yeah there has.


Blurry flashback of his sister.


Calista

Line 92) Was your love for this person strong?


Marvin

Line 93) Yes. Very.




Calista

Line 94) Well if it’s past-tense. Then I’m assuming that this person is no longer a part of your life. Therefore if your love for this person was strong maybe your unfulfilled duty is to experience a lasting love that was just as strong as that?


Marvin

Line 95) How did you come to a conclusion like that after what I just said?


Marvin looked shocked.


Calista

Line 96) It’s just a guess. I’m trying to put these scenarios into answers about your unfulfilled purpose.


Marvin

Line 97) I suppose it could be that.


Calista

Line 98) Well then that settles it. Let that be our main lead until we discover more.


Calista

Line 99) You should tell me more about your life though so that I get a full insite.


Marvin

Line 100) What else would you like to know?


Calista

Line 101) Let’s start with your father.


Marvin smiled. Nobody has ever asked him a question like this.


Line 102) Marvin: Not once in my life has anyone been this intrigued to hear more about my life.


Get a flashback of Marvin's dad.


Marvin

Line 103) My father is a businessman with a lot of work oriented priorities. Growing up he was very busy. And if I wanted to talk to him I would have to request to speak with him. I couldn’t freely go up to him since it was considered ‘improper and impolite’.


Return back to Calista.


Calista

Line 104) That sounds rough. Sorry to hear that.


Then it hit him.


Marvin

Line 105) Now that I’m thinking about it. Maybe I take after my father with my love life being a wreck.


Calista shrugged.


Calista

Line 106) What about your mother?


Marvin

Line 107) My father never had a wife. He only had…  Girlfriends? But they were more like flings. And my mother was one of them. I was never able to meet her though. And she died before I could.


Calista looked flustered.


Line 108) Calista: I don’t know what to say to that.


Marvin

Line 109) Don’t worry. I’m used to getting that reaction.


Marvin

Line 110) Anyways, because I didn’t have a mom to take care of me. My caretaker raised me.


Calista

Line 111) I had no idea. I’m so sorry.


Line 112) Calista: Now that I’ve gotten him to open up. I see him so differently. Who would’ve thought he had such a rough upbringing.


Marvin

Line 112) It’s fine. Although the main figures in my life didn’t do their jobs properly. I think I turned out okay.


Marvin

Line 113) It’s the main reason why I refused to take over my dads business. He inspired me to be nothing like him.


Calista

Line 114) Well I’m glad that you look at it from such a positive light.


Calista

Line 115) But why is your father urging you to settle down if you could just get a girlfriend like he did?


Line 116) Calista: Now that I’m hearing what I said. That question sounded blunt?


Calista

Line 117) Sorry. That was a rough way to put it.


Marvin laughs.


Marvin

Line 118) Don’t worry about it.


Marvin

Line 119) It’s because he wants me to seal a contract through the marriage for business purposes.


Calista

Line 120) But why? Doesn’t marriage have a way of disrupting business?



Marvin

Line 121) It can, depending on your partner. But people tend to take you more seriously after you get married. Which is why it’s good for business.


Calista

Line 122) It must be the difference in time. I’m sure in the 60s those were the traditions.


Marvin

Line 122)  Yeah you must be right.I’ve always thought that it sounded superficial. A deal like that never sat right with me, which is why I wanted to wait until I found the right person to settle down with.


Marvin

Line 123) But my father was a very work oriented guy. Which is why he viewed marriage in a business light. 


Marvin

Line 124) I’m relieved to know that part of him hasn’t rubbed off on me.


Calista looks intrigued.



Calista

Line 125) Huh? Tell me more.


End of episode.



© 2024 Yosh


Author's Note

Yosh
Yosh
Please ignore any grammatical errors as this was written a while ago. If you would like to read a more current version, please head over to Wattpad and search up, "In Another Lifetime by Yosh (wattpad formatted version)." From there you can find 10 episodes that are updated and formatted for the reader to better understand. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



In Another Lifetime By Yosh


Author

Yosh
Yosh

About
Someone that found a way to express themselves through writing. more..

Writing