In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 8

In Another Lifetime By Yosh Episode 8

A Chapter by Yosh
"

What happens when Teresa catches onto what the group is planning? How will they be able to worm themselves out of that situation?

"

Copyright ©2024 under United States Copyright office, Library of Congress. All rights reserved. This literary work is protected by the U.S. copyright laws. Reproduction and distribution of the work without permission is prohibited. The offender will be traced and will face the full extent of the legal ramifications as stipulated by the law.


Anything in bold is narration.


Anything highlighted in yellow is inner voices.


Anything in italics is stage directions.


Anything in bold and italics is context to the scene.


Anything highlighted in blue is numbered lines.


Anything highlighted in red is more information to the scene.


Episode 8:


April 16 2023. The day is Sunday.


Back in the tunnel Teresa is pointing her pepper spray at the group. 


Calista

Line 1) This is all a misunderstanding. Just hear us out and please don’t hurt us.


Teresa

Line 2) What do you guys want from me?!


Talulla

Line 3) Nothing! You don’t have to be alarmed!


Marvin

Line 4) We’re not trying to harm you in any way!


Teresa

Line 5) Like I would believe you! You’ve been acting the weirdest out of the bunch!


Talulla

Line 6) I told you she would catch on.


Marvin

Line 7) I can’t control my nerves!


Teresa

Line 8) Catch on to what?! What are you guys planning?!


Calista

Line 9) Listen, Teresa. I know this whole situation looks bad, but we were all just nervous. 




Teresa

Line 10) Nervous of what? You guys know me. I’m not buying that excuse. 


The trio looked helpless. They didn’t know what to do, and Teresa obviously didn’t trust them.


Line 11) Calista: I don’t know what to say. She’s not gonna believe us regardless.


Line 12) Talulla: What do we do now? Do we tell her the truth?


Line 13) Marvin: I need to swoop in and cover for everyone.


Teresa

Line 14) What are you guys planning?! Tell me now!


The girls look at Marvin. The girls gave him reassurance to say something.


Marvin

Line 15) I know you don’t trust me but hear me out. We don’t wish harm on you in any way, so please put down whatever that is.


Marvin points to the pepper spray.


Teresa

Line 16) I’m not putting it down! I’ve seen some pretty gnarly things on the news lately!


Marvin

Line 17) We’re not affiliated with whatever you’ve seen on the news! We’re just-


Marvin

Line 18) Listen, I’m looking for my family… Talulla and Calista have been helping me to track down anyone that might have connections.


Teresa

Line 19) And what does that have to do with me?!


Marvin

Line 20) After we did some debriefing together, we’ve come to the conclusion that I’m related to you.


Teresa

Line 21) That sounds like something you came up with just now! If that were really the reason you could’ve just blatantly told me.


Marvin

Line 22) Yeah, I know that doesn’t look so good. 


Calista

Line 23) We didn’t approach you the right way. We’ll take responsibility for that. But when you mentioned how your grandma cut off your grandpa I told them about it and it seemed to add up.


Calista

Line 24) We think Jimmy is related through your cut-off family. I thought it would be viable information in getting us one step closer to finding his family, so that’s why I told him.


Calista

Line 25) I’m sorry for telling them so swiftly and not asking for your permission. It’s not my place to be sharing things about your family with them. 


Calista

Line 26) In any case, I told them so that they would be comfortable talking since the subject seemed uneasy for you. I wanted them to ease into the conversation so that you would be more comfortable.


Teresa

Line 27) So, you guys knew all along?


Talulla

Line 28) We initially came into the cafe to reach out to you. We saw a post of your socials of you and your grandma. Jimmy seemed to recognize her and thought it would be important to know more about her so that he would get in touch somehow.


*Talulla is lying Marvin didn’t recognize Teresa’s grandma (Elouise)


Talulla

Line 29) And then when Calista told us about your family it seemed to add up to Jimmy’s situation. And then when you decided to hang out with us, we thought it would be a perfect way to seize that opportunity. 


Teresa

Line 30) But I wasn’t planning on inviting you guys into my house, so how else were you gonna get to the bottom of the situation?


Talulla

Line 31) We didn’t intend for you to invite us. But when you brought it up, we all seemed to agree and thought it would be another way for us to get more information.



Calista

Line 32) You have every right not to trust us. But we just didn’t want to explain anything to you until we confirmed that you were actually related to Jimmy.


*Calista is lying. Marvin knows he’s related to Teresa through Elouise.


Marvin

Line 33) Sorry that we gave you the wrong idea.


Teresa lowered the pepper spray. 


She could tell by the looks on their faces that they were being genuine. 


She just knew deep down inside she didn’t want to talk to anyone about her family because she was having problems of her own.


Line 34) Teresa: They look genuine for once. And a bit desperate. The situation must be serious then.


Line 35) Teresa: They were quite considerate not to press further for information regarding my family. I should try to help them for that.


Teresa

Line 36) I guess that sounds reasonable.


Teresa

Line 37) But I would’ve been fine if you guys just asked me. You didn’t have to put on this show.


They all duck their heads to the ground in shame.


Calista

Line 38) We’re very sorry. We didn’t intend to make you feel unsafe.


Talulla

Line 39) We were just trying to help out Jimmy.


Calista

Line 40) It’s our fault for approaching you the wrong way.


Marvin

Line 41) We completely understand if you want us to leave.




Talulla

Line 42) We’re sorry for making you feel uncomfortable. Just give us your word and we’ll be out of here. We won’t bother you ever again.


Teresa

Line 43) Well, since you’ve come all this way.


Teresa

Line 44) Since all you guys want to know is for a good cause, I don't want to disappoint you all for coming this far.


Talulla

Line 45) If it helps, I was actually interested in seeing your art.


Talulla

Line 46) And bringing us to this tunnel was fun.


Line 47) Talulla: I think saying that might convince her to let us into her home.


Teresa

Line 48) Hmm. I guess I can invite you guys in after all.


Line 49) Talulla: I knew that would work!


Teresa

Line 50) I don’t know if I’d be much of help though since I’m not that close with my cut off family.


Teresa

Line 51) Any ideas on how I can help you guys?


Calista

Line 52) You can just tell us what you know. Perhaps you have some old photos that can help Jimmy spot things out?


Teresa starts to think. 


Teresa

Line 53) Now that you mention it, I think my grandma might have given me an album or stacks of photos. I have no idea where it is though. It might take me a while to find it. 


Calista

Line 54) We don’t mind the wait. 



Marvin

Line 55) We appreciate your offer.


Teresa

Line 56) I’ll lead the way then. Follow me.


Line 57) Teresa: I guess I was being dramatic. I should just help them out in return so that things are fair.


The group huffs out sighs in relief. Talulla whips her head in relief and walks beside Teresa. They all smile and walk by next to Teresa.


Line 58) Marvin: That was a close one. I’m glad we were eventually able to convince her.


Line 59) Marvin: I need to apologize to Talulla and Calista for dragging them into my problems. I feel ashamed.


They keep walking until they make it to Teresa’s place.



Teresa

Line 60) You guys can head to the living room.


The trio sits on Teresa's couch and waits patiently for her return as she hangs her jacket and puts her bag away.



Teresa

Line 61) Would you guys like some water?


Talulla

Line 62) Sure, that would be nice.


Calista and Marvin nod.


Teresa

Line 63) Alright, give me a sec.


Teresa reached into her fridge and pulled out 3 water bottles. She throws them to the trio and everyone catches except Marvin. The bottle smacks his nose. He wasn’t expecting her to throw the bottle.


Line 64) Marvin: Ouch! Who throws a water bottle?


Teresa

Line 65) Guess you need to work on your reflex skills.


They all pretended to laugh, but Calista looked at Marvin for reassurance to show that she didn’t find Teresa’s commentary funny. Talulla opens her bottle as a pro, but Calista has trouble.


Line 66) Calista: Agh! So tight!


Marvin notices and takes Calista's water bottle and opens it for her. She stares at him since it was so unexpected.


Calista

Line 67) Thanks for that.


Marvin

Line 68) It’s no problem.


Teresa

Line 69) Alright, I’m gonna search for some photos. I think I might have that album I mentioned earlier lying around somewhere.


Teresa got up and faded into her room.


Talulla starts speaking quietly.


Talulla

Line 70) I thought we were toast back there.


Calista

Line 71) So did I. I’m glad everyone played along though.


Talulla

Line 72) You covered well for us back there Marv.


Marvin smiles.


Marvin

Line 73) It’s the least I could do.


Marvin

Line 74) I’m sorry for putting you guys in this position.


Talulla

Line 75) It’s fine. Everything fell into place eventually. So don’t beat yourself up for it. 


Marvin stares at Calista. Calista notices.


Calista

Line 76) What? Something on my face?


Marvin

Line 77) No I’m sorry-


Talulla

Line 78) He’s obviously looking at you because he’s waiting for you to say something.


Line 79) Calista: There’s something I have to say?


Marvin

Line 80) No it’s nothing-


Calista

Line 81) Congrats for making it this far? I guess?


Marvin

Line 82) Oh. Um. Thanks.


Talulla looked at Calista in a questionable way.


Line 83) Talulla: That’s not what you were supposed to say!


The trio sits in an awkward silence


Shot cuts to Teresa finding some photos together on a paper clip and a photo album.


Teresa

Line 84) Hah, I found it.


Teresa walked out from the unknown room and back to the living room where the trio was. She presented an album and smiled looking proud of herself for finding it. 


Teresa

Line 85) Sorry for the dustiness.


Talulla

Line 86) Don’t worry about it.


Teresa grabbed the photo album and looked through it to find anything.


Teresa

Line 87) Ah ha.


She flipped the huge photo album to them so they could see.


It’s a picture of Teresa’s dad in his hometown New Jersey.


Teresa

Line 88) This is my dad. The only child my grandma and grandpa had.


*Douglas from Marvin. Same one from the instagram post.


Teresa

Line 89) Do you recognize him maybe?


Marvin

Line 90) Not really.


Teresa

Line 91) Hmm, maybe I should find a picture of my grandparents.


Teresa

Line 92) It’ll be a bit harder, but I think I’ll manage. 


Teresa continues to rummage through the pages. After many minutes go by.



Teresa

Line 93) I looked through all the pages. Still found nothing. 


Teresa got up and went back to the room to pull out all her family photos. She quickly came back and set the arrangements on the table in front of them. As she went back to get more she said…


Teresa

Line 94) Don’t be afraid to rummage through them. It’ll help get the job done faster.


Teresa exited. They all looked at each other and shrugged, picking up a stack of photos each and skimming through them.


Teresa

Line 95) I’ll be in the room just to tidy up the mess I made digging through the photos. Take this time to look through everything.


Teresa exited. As they were all looking through the photos they tossed them on the table into neat stacks when they were done examining them carefully. Looking at the subtle features and checking the back to see if there was a note on it. Some time passes by.


Calista

Line 96) Have you guys found anything yet?


Talulla

Line 97) If we found something we would have said so.


Marvin took a break and set all the photos down, leaning his head on the back of the couch, closing his eyes. Calista was quick to note.


Calista

Line 98) Hey, you alright?


Marvin

Line 99) Yeah, I just need a second.


Talulla

Line 100) You get defeated easily, huh?


Marvin

Line 101) I guess you could say that.


Talulla

Line 102) We won’t find all the answers so easily. So, cheer up.


Talulla pats his shoulder and continues to look through the stuff. 


Calista

Line 103) Talulla’s right. Nobody said this was gonna be easy. Let’s just try to keep our heads high.


Marvin didn’t say anything, he just looked at Calista on his side observing her sympathetic eyes. He knew she was being genuine. He propped himself back up and continued looking. 


Marvin

Line 104) I had no idea you two were motivational speakers.


Talulla looked at him strangely.

Marvin

Line 105) I-I was trying to make a joke.


Talulla

Line 106) Oh! I see! Hehe.


Calista looked at the both of them in a judging funny face. Marvin picks up another stack of photos and rummages through them a bit. He lands on a picture that catches his eye. 


Line 107) Marvin: It’s Todd (back from 3rd episode Marvin’s friend, Elouises brother), Elouise, and everyone (Russell, Cady, Jax)!


It’s a picture of him and his friends making a toast (they all look uncomfortable). His eyes sparked up and he quickly flipped it over.


Note on back reads: April 15th, 1967 Jersey City, New Jersey “To my dearest Marvin I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with you. I’m so happy you decided to marry me”.


Line 108) Marvin: This must be when we got married! It was during the dinner party? This was the day I ended up here! 


Line 109) Marvin: How did I get myself in that mess? Elouise and I were never a couple!


Line 110) Marvin: What demon possessed me to marry her so out of the blue?!



Marvin

Line 111) Hey guys! I found something!


End of scene.




© 2024 Yosh


Author's Note

Yosh
Please ignore any grammatical errors. If you'd like to view the updated version, please feel free to check my story out of Wattpad, titled, "In Another Lifetime by Yosh (wattpad formatted version)." Thank you all so much for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



In Another Lifetime By Yosh


Author

Yosh
Yosh

About
Someone that found a way to express themselves through writing. more..

Writing