Be Thankful

Be Thankful

A Story by Katelin R.


    My family and I were driving in our car, on our vacation in Arizona. It felt like it was at least one hundred degrees, and I felt like I was going to melt! Then all of a sudden, my dad’s cell phone rang. The rest of my family didn’t know who it was, or what happened, but we knew something had gone wrong.

    My dad finally got off his cell phone, and explained to us that our great-grandma was in the hospital. The day before, she had gone outside, accidentally tripped, and hit her head on the ground. She thought that she was okay, so she went into her house and continued her daily activities. When she went to sleep that night, she fell into a coma. The next morning her neighbors came to check on her and found her unconscious. Quickly, they called an ambulance and she was brought to the hospital.   

    A few weeks later, we were supposed to be visiting her, in Iowa. We didn’t expect anything like this to happen. My great-grandma was ninety-four, could drive, cook, and she even lived alone in her own house. I thought that she was a really strong woman for ninety-four years old.

   About one week had passed since we found out my great-grandma was in the hospital.
   
   My family and I were in Iowa, and on our way to the hospital that my great-grandma had been staying in for the past week. I wasn’t sure how the visit would turn out, considering we wouldn’t be able to communicate with her. We’d just have to sit there and look at her. I didn’t know what to expect.

    Once I walked into her hospital room, I saw my great-grandma laying motionless on her hospital bed. She looked frail, and a very pale white. I had never seen her like this in my life. My family and I were devistated, but we knew it was better than seeing her in pain. My sister started crying, and we decided it was time to leave. Even thought she couldn’t hear us, we all said our last goodbyes and gently touched her fragile skin.

    The next morning, we were awaken by a phone call. It was my dad’s mom telling us that my great-grandma had passed away. I was really sad, but also thankful that I got to see her the day before she passed away.

    Ever since my great-grandma died, I realised that I should always be thankful for the things I have, and appreciate all of the people that I have in my life. You should never take anything for granted, because you never know when you’re going to lose it.

© 2012 Katelin R.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 18, 2012