The Couple Next To Us Two

The Couple Next To Us Two

A Story by Reese
"

A story based on a poem not mine.

"

I settled down on a table at the back of the corner of a coffee shop. A waitress in her mid twenties, her heels clicking on the tiled floor, approached me as I placed my satchel on the table. She was wearing the typical waitress outfit, faded red apron stained with coffee on the corner hem, but a clean white dress, her hair in a messy bun, a paper in her left hand and a pen on the other. She stressfully smiled. "What would you like to order?"

I cleared my throat before answering. "I'll just have iced coffee."

She nodded as she wrote the order down. "Is that it?"

I wanted to eat something, but decided against it since I wasn't really up to eating something. "Yeah."

"Alright." She said and walked off away to get my order in.

I sighed heavily. Rubbing my hands nervously. Although I didn't know what I was nervous about. There was nothing to worry about or get scared of. Everything was in pieces anyway.

A tear threatened to fall from my eye, but I held it back and exhaled it away. Swallowed the sadness in and blinked away the tears. Clearing my throat and looking around the shop.

I realized, this was the shop that he and I met a year ago. How was it so livelier back then, but now it seems like it's such a dull place in my eyes. Were my eyes covered with rose colored lenses that it made me think that this place was lively and warm with the aroma of coffee? Was I that blind of love for him that I didn't notice how dull this place actually is? Or maybe its just changed overtime and I didn't notice it?

I sighed again. The waitress from earlier coming over with my drink on the tray she carried. She, again, stressfully smiled and placed the iced coffee in front of me and left as quickly as she came.

I stirred the iced coffee. Staring at the empty seat across mine. Hearing the bell above the entrance of the shop ring, and seeing a couple so happy sit in the empty table I was just staring off a few seconds ago. The same waitress came to them and took their orders and left. I hadn't noticed I kept stirring my drink while I stared at the happy couple sitting across me.

I bit the inside of my cheeks, looked down on my table and sipped a gulp of my iced coffee. Cringing at the coldness it felt in my mouth.

"Here's your order." I heard the waitress across. "Enjoy." She added unenthusiastically.

The happy couple murmured their thanks and continued their conversation before it was interrupted by the waitress. I found myself staring at the couple across me again.

Envy crossing my heart. A terrifying mirror of what was once what he and I had. Their smiles timid and their actions rigid. Their feelings for each other would yet to blossom that they could not get rid. Showered by love like all she could see was him. Ignoring whatever was around them. I could hear the womans laugh. It was like a bell ringing from the heavens, a giggle full of joy and love.

From where I sat, it felt like I could hear the woman's heartbeat. Or was it mine that I could hear? A heart once full of love and happiness, but now an envious, broken, pained heart. Brimming with unshed tears.

She had the same drink as I ordered. But only, mine felt so bitter and cold against my tongue, cold against my palm. I bet she could taste the sweetness in it. The sweetness in everything she sees the world as.

She had the man of her dreams, the man wearing a shining white armor on a white gallant horse. They fit so perfectly like puzzle pieces, king and queen on a chess piece.

I looked away with tears brimming on the corner of my eyes. Suddenly remembering the look in his eyes, ready to bid their good byes.

I had wished you were the man who would stand next to me in every way. The one who proclaims how his love for me was true. Who promised his love for me was a lifetime. And yet, you claimed it wasn't you who was worthy to be called mine.

A tear finally broke, and slid down my cheeks. I turned away, hoping to hide the one tear that betrayed to stay unshed. It broke me to pieces as he left me in the cold. Shattered me in despair as I heard him break every promise he swore to keep.

I envy the lovers who sat across mine. Or should I say I envy the image of what used to be what he and I had. I wish I could fix it, do what's needed to be done. But everything's too late.

The cold drink that was once sitting atop the table, now a spilling mess. Like I am sprawled on the floor, a crying mess, reaching out for thin air that was once where the couple was.

Empty seats, dull lights, a quiet place for a peaceful night. Yet a rather chaotic mess within.

It was rather like everything was upturned, broken, dirty. Chairs overturned, tables lay broken, glasses shattered, and the windows filled with graffiti and newspaper covers.

I blinked, tears falling so freely like a river, a beautiful crying mess, spotlight by the only ray of light, sat there with the cold melted iced drink in my hand as I see the couple that used to be what he and I was disappear into thin air. Now occupied by an empty seat.

© 2022 Reese


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on October 28, 2022
Last Updated on October 28, 2022
Tags: love

Author

Reese
Reese

Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines



About
I write stories for a sad heart. more..

Writing
"Odio" "Odio"

A Poem by Reese