Survival

Survival

A Story by Will Robinson
"

Just caught in deep thought. I write this and wanted to share it with other people. Tell me what you think.

"
You know, it really makes you wonder doesn't it? We live on such a huge world, with so much history. Everything that is everything to us took place here. Here; our home; Earth. But there is a saying, that all good things must come to an end, and that applies exactly to us, our planet, and our whole way of life. Most of the population fails to realize that everything we have here is limited. The earth is a huge place, it is the cradle of humanity, the only place with incredibly diverse life as we know it, the only place we have been able to call our home, but, it is limited for us. There is only so much resources here to sustain us, and we are a rapidly growing, intelligent, and innovative species. There are currently over 7 BILLION people on this planet. That is a HUGE number. We can't even begin to wrap our heads around the meaning and sheer immensity of that number. Yet there are that many of us on this planet.
We will only be able to upkeep the lifestyles we live for so long, what do we do when even Earth, our protector, our home, meets its breaking point? I believe that is why we have evolved the way we have. I believe that collectively as a species, we can solve that mystery. The way we have evolved, the knowledge we have, it's an accumulative build up of all of our collective knowledge.
In the early ages, leaving this planet wasn't even a thought on anyone's mind. For almost the entire span of human existence that is a goal that we have not been able to reach. Then we went to the moon. Now we have taken it even further. We have spacecraft that has left our own solar system, and into inter stellar space. As we evolve, and become more intelligent as a species, those boundaries slowly start to disappear one by one. Every obstacle that gets thrown at us we overcome. Every problem we encounter, we meet with a solution. We are capable of doing such amazing things, and so many people fail to see that. We know how to use electricity, fly, breathe under water, and even see into the farthest corners of the cosmos.
We are starting to outgrow our good old home, Earth. As we grow, and as we develop new, and innovative technologies, the more I realize we are not meant to stay here. There is a whole universe out there waiting to be explored. We are so miniscule in the whole plot of the universe it's almost sickening to think about it. In the entire grand scheme of things, we are only a subatomic spec in the cosmos. We are but a miniscule molecule, dwindling in the infinite and majestic darkness that is the cosmos. There is a whole universe out there for us to explore, and I am positive that if there is a god, he wouldn't want us to stay in one place for our whole life span. In fact, I genuinely believe that to be the case. If we were meant to stay here and never leave because a higher power willed it to be so, then wouldn't we have enough resources to provide for our incredibly fast growing population? We are practically destroying this planet, and depleting it of all its natural resources. I believe that the world was meant to cradle us until we are ready to find other homes. Other earths, in which we will be able to live on and thrive. We were not meant to stay in one place, and anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is just borderline ignorant.
There is so much we still don't know, there is still so much we haven't seen, or experienced. You can't sit here and tell me you are content with just what we have.
Curiosity is in our nature. Its how we grow, it's how we learn, almost everything we know about anything has stemmed from simple curiosity at some point during the evolution of mankind. Simple thoughts turning into shared ideas, dreams becoming reality, these are things we have continuously made happen in our history. Look at all we have accomplished, we have done SPECTACULAR and AMAZING THINGS. But is it really enough? Are you really satisfied with the way things are now? If we were to collectively stop progressing as a species, could you truly say that you are satisfied with what we have done, and what we know now? I think I speak for everyone who has any shred of curiosity and ambition, that, that is most definitely not the case. We were put here in this solar system, this galaxy, the universe, for a purpose. We may not know what that purpose is quite yet, but what I do know is that we will never discover that purpose by staying home. Anybody that has done anything great has done it through incredible effort and patience. Through trial and error, through getting kicked down and repeatedly standing back up. They didn't do it by standing by and waiting for things to come to them, they did it by taking the initiative, by finding a way to make the impossible; possible.
I genuinely, and truly believe that we are capable of doing this. Space is the next frontier. Its a fact that we all must learn to accept, and cope with. Our very survival will very likely depend on us leaving this planet. We have the capability to travel to planets, we have done it, know how to do it, and will continue to do it more. I imagine being able to live in a star wars like society. I imagine us finding extraterrestrial life. I imagine traveling to different stars, and branching our society throughout the whole galaxy. Maybe even to other galaxies, and who knows, maybe even other universes. It will take an unimaginable amount of time, but the universe is our playground, and we have nothing but time to play in it. We have the capacity and drive; we can overcome anything.
The earth isn't our permanent home. As miniscule as we may appear, we are a huge part of this universe. We are a part of it more than we all know. In fact, we ARE the universe. We are the product of 13 billion years of evolutionary success, Its time we start acting as such.
We are literally made of stars, and all of the stars we know of all came from one huge explosion. Thanks to the chain of events that have occurred in the history of our evolution, we are here. We just so happened to be placed in the perfect place, at the perfect time. We just so happened to be placed in the perfect galaxy, in the perfect place in our galaxy, we got the perfect sized star to sustain us, and we got placed far enough away from that star in order for life to start forming. Isn't crazy how it all just ties together? I believe there is more to all of this than just luck and coincidence. We are not intelligent like we are for no reason, we did not grow the way we have for no reason, everything happens for a reason. And life's greatest mystery is finding that reason. That may just be our purpose if you think about it. I believe that is why God put us here. I believe that is why everything fits together like a giant puzzle. We will solve his mysteries, and I believe one day we will all reach enlightenment. We will find our purpose, and we will solve the puzzle that is life. I believe that is how God meant it to be, it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
We are a truly incredible species. We are dwindling on the edge of life and death every day. We are so lucky to even be here, and we take that for granted. Be grateful for everything you have, and be grateful you were given the opportunity to be even a microscopic part of this immense and magnificent universe. The fact that you, I, and everything we know is here is all due to a huge and very ancient miracle. We are fighters. We are dreamers. And most importantly of all... We are survivors. Our instinctual want and need to survive has propelled us further than any other animal that has ever existed. We will do whatever it takes to ensure our own survival, and that is why I know we will succeed. We will succeed and succeed until there is nothing more to succeed at. THEN and only then will we have a true purpose for wanting to stop growing. Until then, celebrate and embrace the fact you are here. You have been born into the greatest period of human history up to date. Why wouldn't you want to contribute to that? You would be insane not to! So for the sake of humanity, keep dreaming. Keep imagining, keep building, and do your part in helping us progress as a species. Do it for not us, but yourself too. We are all we have.

© 2015 Will Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

HELP: So so sorry, but when I enter a competition, why does it say I don't fit the rules?? and how do I correspond with writers on this site?

This is amazing btw a- wish it was longer! I wanted to read more and more

Posted 9 Years Ago


Will Robinson

9 Years Ago

I'm completely new to this website, so I can't really b help you there. And thank you! I'll write mo.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
613
The ending sentence is all too true. Besides some grammatical & punctuational errors, this was written fairly well. Nice job!

- Brittney

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Will Robinson

9 Years Ago

Yeah I still need to work on a lot of punctuation and sentence structure. But I put a lot of thought.. read more
613

9 Years Ago

Your effort clearly shows! Great work! I look forward to reading more from you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 24, 2015
Last Updated on April 24, 2015

Author

Will Robinson
Will Robinson

salt lake city, UT



About
I'm just here to post some of my thoughts, and get some criticism. (constructive or not) I like to write in my spare time, and I'm always looking to improve. more..