The Death

The Death

A Story by William Forbes

He did not want to do it. But it could not be helped. Still, it was a shame she had to die. They had been through so much together. So very much.

He was with her throughout high school. When she went on her first date. At senior prom, after which she lost her virginity. College and experimentation. Men, women, orgies and even a couple of professors. Work and an affair with her married boss.

Abortion, attempted rape, a car accident. She had really been put through the mill. Perhaps he was doing her a service. Putting her out of her misery. No, that was unfair. She did have some good times.

When she was maid of honour at her best friends wedding. Graduating as valedictorian of her high school. Graduationg with honours from college. Learning to drive. Promotion at work. When she was reunited with her long lost mother. And her half brother.

That was particularly tough on her. They fell for each other. And hard. The community treat them as pariahs. He had wanted them to marry. But the pressure forced them apart.

She had been there for him too. Through his divorce and following fight for access to his son. Through various lovers. Winning awards. Arguaments with film companies and TV networks.

Theirs was a strange relationship. Her younger, not classically good looking but with a certain allure. Angry, into heavy metal, extremely cynical. Him, an ageing hippy, still liked to smoke grass occasionally. Into Led Zepp, Frank Zappa and Floyd.

And it was only friendship. That's all. He did love her but only as a friend. In much the same way as a father loves a daughter. He just could never see her as anything else.

But she did annoy him at times. Always getting into trouble. Like the affair with her boss. He thought she should have known better. But she blundered into things. And got hurt.

He remembered how they met. One of her friends had been raped. She was a shy girl, sort of geeky. She reminded him of Willow from Buffy, back when the series first began. But he had seen the potential. Their unique relationship started.

But now it was over. He dedicated a few last words to her. Then he stuck the knife into her chest. Slap bang between her breasts. And then twisted.

He could not continue. He saved the file and then switched off. He was upset. Course he was. He had just killed off his best-loved character.

© 2008 William Forbes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Where is the next page?!?!?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Brilliant.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

William Forbes
William Forbes

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom



About
Will was born on a dark and stormy night in a wee bothy in a very remote part of the Scottish Highlands. After his parents suddenly dropped dead (mother from the abundance of cooking she did, father .. more..

Writing