Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Brandy

 

Lucian had decided to visit the pond located behind the castle.  It was sunset when he had reached his destination, the perfect time to visit the pond.  That was the time when all of the nocturnal creatures would come out and sing their songs.  Every creature had its own melody to sing as the sun went down.  Each one would sing theirs proudly and gracefully.

Lucian sat peacefully next to the pond watching the sunset and listening to nature’s orchestra.  He had taken off his socks and boots and had his feet dangling in the clear refreshing water.  The cold water rustled at his ankles making a slight swooshing sound that accompanied the rest of the pond forest.  This perfect combination of environment seemed to detach him from the world, giving him a sweet sense of tranquility.  But then this sensation was interrupted by a small nibble on his toe.  Lucian leaned forward, past his knees, and investigated the water.  There, swimming in circles around his feet, he saw a piscis.  Its red scales shimmered in the faltering sunlight.  Its small clear yellow fins twittered rapidly at its sides along with its equally clear yellow tail fin swaying side to side, propelling the piscis forward through the water.  Occasionally, the piscis would stop and its bright beady green eyes would roll upward to look at Lucian, as if to make sure he was still watching.

Disrupting the staring contest, another creature came up and scared the piscis away.  It was much longer than the other water creature, and had blue scales covering its lengthy swerving body.  It had a long narrow face and tiny white horns at the peak of its head.  As Lucian got a closer look, he realized it to be a minimus lacerta.  A small water dragon.  They are a friendly sort of creature, to humans anyway.  The other fish in the water aren’t too fond of them, they’re usually used as a good meal for the minimus lacerta. 

But this one, seemed to be acting rather odd.  It tried to bite Lucian’s feet.  But as it tried, Lucian quickly pulled his feet out of the water.  The minimus lacerta began leaping out of the water franticly.  Lucian quickly got to his feet, staring bewildered at this spectacle.  The un-rhythmic splatters of the water disrupted the pond forest’s music.  Suddenly, the nocturnal animals halted their beautiful performance, and started making chaotic sounds that Lucian had never heard before.  Lucian whirled around looking over all of the seemingly troubled animals hidden in trees, bushes, and in the pond.  Lucian crumpled his eye brows together, not being able to think of a single thing that would cause the animals to be this upset.

“Prince Lucian!” a voice pierced through the clamor, “when are you going to learn to do as you’re told!?  You were supposed to stay in your room!”  The heavy Citlec (Irish) accented voice seemed very familiar.  Lucian cocked his head, and saw Re’wolf, the royal gardener.  His glasses flared white from the rays of the full moon, hiding his angry eyes.  Lucian didn’t need to be able to see Re’wolf’s eyes to know that he glaring at him.  So Lucian grabbed his boots, with his socks tucked inside, and began to apologize.  “I’m sorry.  I always come here on full moons.  That’s when the animals sing their best melodies.  But, tonight seems to be a bit different…”  Lucian explained, looking back at the still fretting minimus lacerta.  Re’wolf’s aggravated face melted away, as he sighed at Lucian’s worried tone.  Re’wolf put his hand on Lucian’s shoulder, “Tonight is different.  That’s precisely why you shouldn’t be down here.”  Lucian nodded staring blankly down at the ground.  Re’wolf gave a half smile, “Come on, I’ll walk with you to the castle.”

 

The two walked up to the castle through the green path of flowers and reap trees.  Re’wolf’s shined black boots made clacking sounds on the hard stone paved trail while Lucian’s, still wet, bare feet did nothing but leave a water trail behind him.  When they got to the castle entrance Re’wolf stopped at the bridge and strictly pointed at Lucian, as if ready to give a lecture.  “Now, Lucian, you go straight up to your room and stay there, understand?”  Lucian nodded, “I will.”  Re’wolf turned his head and glared, giving him the evil eye, “You promise?”  Lucian raised his left arm, “I promise.”



© 2009 Brandy


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on June 18, 2009


Author

Brandy
Brandy

The Land of Oz, KS



About
I love to write and draw. I prefer to read and write fantasy. Although if have read my stories, you'd know that my grammer and spelling errors are my downfall... ^_^;;; more..

Writing
War's Melody War's Melody

A Book by Brandy


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Brandy


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Brandy