Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Brandy

 

“A

h!” Lucian shrieked.  He came to a startling start of the day waking up shocked and confused by the fact that he woke up on the floor beside his bed.

            Much like the time Konda stood by Lucian’s bedside wearing all black, a horrifying mask, and holding a knife in his hand coated with thick red juice, just waiting for Lucian to wake up. 

            Lucian rose to his feet, feeling troubled, gazing out the window.  “That dream again …” he muttered.  Lucian shook his head. 

           

            Lucian tied his black headband over his long brown hair, fixed up his collar, tied his gold and blue cape around his neck, and neatly fixed back his hair.  Lucian pulled open his bedroom door, taking the scroll off his desk on the way out. 

            He made his way to the throne room to greet his father with a cheerful “good morning” as he always did.  Lucian was about to open the door, when the sound of his father and brother talking on the other side put him to a halt.  “---- you received the message I sent Lucian to give you last night I presume?”  Lucian overheard. 

            “Yes,” Konda sounded all choked up, “I got the message.” 

            What message, Lucian thought, the message about appearing in the castle town?

            “Father, I have some questions to ask, if I may.”  Konda said as Lucian pressed his ear to the door, listening intently. 

            “Why must this happen?  How do we even know what the Magites saw was correct?”  Konda sounded distressed.  Like the world was coming to an end. 

            The Magites, what do they have to do with anything? Lucian thought. The sound of the king stomping his foot echoed in the silence of the throne room. 

            “Konda, never question prophesies of the Maggites!” the king bellowed in his deep fuming voice.  The king saw Konda hanging his head in shame and sorrow. The king looked at Konda again with sympathy in his eyes and his voice lightening up, “Son, I know this is frightening, having that kind of knowledge.  Sadly, we know that it will happen, and there is no stopping it.” 

            Lucian could hear Konda trying to contain his tears.  Lucian peeked through the key hole and saw the king give Konda a comforting hug.

            He’s hugging someone!?  He hasn’t hugged anyone ever since mom died!

 

            “Why is everyone acting so oddly?  Konda being nice, my father giving someone a hug!  None of this makes any sense.  It is as if they have been replaced with completely different people.”  Lucian whispered to himself, concerned. 

           

            The king glanced over towards the door, the sense of sympathy vanished.  He looked up at the ceiling solemnly, “Everything happens for a reason, remember that.”

            Lucian jumped away from the door when the king looked right at him, like he could see him through the door.

            Lucian calmed down a bit and gazed at the shadows of his father and brother under the door, and saw one shadow coming closer.  Lucian quickly leaped away from the door, and pretended to just be walking by the throne room doors as Konda stepped out and accidentally ran the giant door into Lucian’s face.  Lucian fell backward onto the stone floor.  Konda ran to his side, and pulled him back up. 

            “Sorry, I didn’t see you there.”  Konda apologized.  Lucian gave a smile, embarrassed. “It’s fine.  How could you have seen me?  It is not like you can see through doors… can you?”

            “What?  No!  Why would you think that?”

            “Well, genes and all.”

            “What?  Are you saying our parents could see through doors?”

            “Well, I just…”  Lucian was interrupted by Konda’s slight laughing,

            “Lucian, you can be kind of odd sometimes.”  Lucian scratched the back of his head awkwardly. 

            “Um, yeah, I suppose.  But anyway, we have to study remember?” Lucian reminded him holding out the scroll with the kings special seal.  Konda’s laughter died immediately. 

            “O-oh yeah, right.  We’ll do it a bit later today.” Konda said stuttering.  Lucian frowned,

            “But Konda, I need to perfect my knowledge!  Or I will never be as smart as you!”

            Konda put his hand on Lucian’s shoulder,

            “Listen Lucian, don’t… follow… in… my… foot steps.”  Konda uttered, enunciating each word, staring Lucian right in the eye.  Konda looked at Lucian’s puzzled face and sighed again.

            “What I mean is,” Konda explained, “you have your own life to live, and you only get to live it once.  So don’t spend it trying to be like me.”

            Lucian huffed,

            “Way to pull out a clichéd line Konda.”  Konda just moaned, and slammed the door into Lucian’s face again.  Lucian hit the ground with a plop smiling,

            That’s the Konda I know.”  Konda smiled weekly and walked off down the hallway.  Lucian sprung back on to his feet, “Don’t forget!  We’re studying later still!”  Konda turned his head, “We’ll see.”

 

            Lucian walked past the throne room when the king walked out behind him, “Oh, Lucian!  Good morning.”  Lucian’s eye’s widened, and he began to stutter,

            “Um, uh, y-yeah!  G-good morning!  I-I was going to say good morning to you when I saw you earlier but…”

            “Earlier?  When did you see me earlier?”  The king disrupted.  Lucian was caught; he didn’t know what to say. 

            “Well, uh, um …” Lucian snapped and scrambled down the hall at full speed.  The king shook his head smiling, “Kid never was good under pressure.”

           

            Lucian wiped the sweat off his forehead as he sat in the hall catching his breath.  “Yeah, he’s never going to think something is wrong.”  Lucian mumbled beating his head against the wall.  “I’m certainly not going to look forward to seeing him later,” he mumbled.

           

            Lucian looked at the flags hung in the halls and starred at the crest in the middle.  The symbol in the middle was the kingdoms sign, and Lucian’s family crest.  He began drawing the crest on the ground with his finger, but a hand waving in front of his face broke his concentration. 

           

            “~Prince Lucian~.”  A voice chanted.  Lucian looked over and saw a light brown haired girl in a maid’s blue and white uniform holding a circular serving tray smiling at him. 

            “Good, you’re alive.”  The girl grinned. 

            Aurora!”  Lucian exclaimed.  She sat down next to him,

            “What’s wrong?”

            “It’s um… nothing.”  Lucian fibbed, fiddling his thumbs and biting his lip.

            “Prince Lucian,” Aurora pouted, “You can’t hide things from me.  I’m your friend, I know you.”  Lucian turned to her; she gave him that glare that she always gave him when she wanted to hear a confection from him.

 

            “Well, I had that dream again.”  Lucian confessed, telling half of what was going on, and breaking eye contact to stare at the ground.

Again?  Prince Lucian, this is the third time you’ve had that same dream this month only!  It’s no ordinary dream.”

“It’s more like a nightmare.”

“I could help more if you would actually tell me what that nightmare was about!”  Aurora pushed.  Lucian shook his head.

“I’m sorry, I’m not telling you, or anyone.”

“Why not?”

Aurora... I’m sorry.  But I just don’t want to think about it, let alone talk about it.”

“Is it really that horrid?”  Aurora looked at Lucian’s strained and gloomy face.  “Alright, I understand.  You don’t have to tell me.”  Aurora sighed heavily.  “But just remember, if you ever need anything, I’ll be here to help.”

 

            Lucian pushed a smile, “Thanks Aurora.”

“After all, if I refused to help you I’d probably get thrown into the dungeon.”  Lucian grinned.  Aurora stood up brushing the dirt off her skirt.  “I suppose I had better get back to work.  The job of a royal servant is never done.”

“Wait,” Lucian called.  Aurora turned around,

“Hm?”

“I overheard Konda and my father talking.”

“Talking about what?”

“Something about Konda receiving a message I sent him last night.”

“A message?”

“Yeah, and something about a Magite prophesy.”

“Magite prophesy,” Aurora stiffened, “Are you sure you heard right?”

“I-“Lucian started.  Aurora bent down and looked him right in the eye and gave a somber stare.

“Are you sure you heard right?”

“I’m pretty sure.”  Aurora’s eye’s fell down to a deep depression.  She sighed as she stood up and helped Lucian to his feet.

“Let’s hope you heard wrong.”  Aurora said looking away.  Lucian moved in front her studying her eyes.

Aurora, are you alright?”  Lucian asked.  Aurora bit her lip,

“Lucian, don’t look at me like that.  I can’t stand to see you upset.  No one can.  So, please cheer up, don’t worry about me.”  Aurora pleaded.

“But Aurora, you’re my friend!  I can’t stand to see you upset either!  I can’t help but worry.”  Lucian protested.  Aurora moaned,

“Lucian, you’re too good of a person.  You can’t stand to see anyone upset, even if you don’t know who they are.  You haven’t changed a bit since you were little.  Always carefree, happy, caring immensely for others, doing good when not expected to the unexpected,  and looking up to you’re brother like he was the greatest thing since magic.  You even have that same bright childish face.”  Aurora admitted with a weak smile.

 

            Lucian folded his arms and whirled around pouting, “Are you saying I’m immature?”  Aurora shrugged, “Well, a little, but-“

“Am not!”  Lucian argued.  Aurora giggled, “Look Lucian, I’d love to talk more, but I really have a job to do.”  Aurora turned Lucian around, “And please, stay in your room tonight.”  Aurora commanded.  She walked off down the castle hall leaving Lucian confused. 

 

 

                                    ---------------------+---------------------

 

            Lucian wandered down the castle town street waving at the residents passing by.  He was in doing his servant’s jobs, as usual, although he always got in trouble for it.  His father wasn’t to found of him doing other people’s jobs for them.  But the servants didn’t seem to mind at all, why would they?  They get paid anyway, thanks to Lucian’s undeniable puppy dog face. 

 

            Lucian strutted over toward the market district smiling at all the town’s people doing their monthly hopping and selling.  The farmers were going into the “All Items Market” store.  A little wooden shop with the store’s name hung above the store window where Pac, the store’s owner, was haggling on the price of which he would pay for the farmer’s turnips.

 

            Lucian trotted over and pushed his way through the crowd of farmers to the counter.  “How is your business coming along Pac,” Lucian asked, shouting over the roaring crowd.  Pac turned away from the very aggravated farmer and looked at Lucian with a scowl that quickly diminished.  Prince Lucian, what a pleasant surprise!  What brings royalty to my humble shop?”  Pac hollered at the top of his lungs.  He yelled much louder than necessary, his voice carried all through the crowd and easily drowned out their clamor.

 

            Lucian gave a perplexed look to Pac, but when the crowd fell silent he clearly understood.  Pac slumped to relief and rested his elbows on the counter, rubbing his temples.  “Thank the goddess you showed up.  I couldn’t hear myself think with this crowd.”  Lucian gave a sheepish smile.  Pac straightened up, “How are things up in the castle?  You here on royal terms?”

“No nothing like that, just delivering letters.”

“Ah, doing other people’s jobs again I see.” Pac said smirking.  Lucian nodded and placed a letter on the counter, “This is my last letter, but I had best be on my way now.”  Pac took the letter and nodded a goodbye. 

            Lucian turned back to the crowd and stepped forward, they immediately formed a straight path out of the mob of farmers.  They didn’t seem to be too pleased with him for some reason; they all gave him spine tingling glares.  He walked through the path, starring back awkwardly at all them.  The farmer’s eyes followed Lucian until he was out of site.  They all stood silent for a second, and then resumed the immense amount of noise of bickering.  Pack huffed, and went back to bartering with the now even angrier farmers.

 

            Lucian turned the corner and headed for another store.  This store had a metal sign in front of it with “The Black Horse” welded into it.  Lucian peered through the glass window and found Teun Lynwood, the blacksmith, whittling a piece of wood.  Lucian knocked on the window making Teun jump and his knife go flying.  He turned with a scornful frown then, realizing it was Lucian, hurried to the door and welcomed him in.

            It had been a while since Lucian had paid a visit to his dear friend Teun.  He had been off practicing his swordplay in the nearby woods behind the castle.  But his blade had begun to grow dull and deformed, and he knew there was only one place to go for a proper repairing.

 

            Lucian slid his small dagger out of its sheath and handed it to Teun.  Teun smirked taking the knife and admiring the craftsmanship on the handle.  He had always admired this knife of Lucians, because one of his ancestors had hand made it for the king, one of Lucian’s ancestors.  He would pay Lucian any amount of money to take it off his hands for good, but this beauty of a dagger was royal property and had been passed down for six generations.  The only way he could get to even hold the dagger, was to repair it.

 

            “For the goddess’ sake Lucian, this thing gets more beat up every time you bring it to me.  What is it exactly you’re using this for?”  Teun remarked looking at the dented blade.  Lucian shrugged, “Just regular combat.”

“Regular combat?  Somehow, I couldn’t see you hurting a soul with this dagger.”

“Well, on trees and sand bags, not actual people.  I never want to see any blood fall upon this blade.”

            Teun nodded with a smile, “Surely Prince Lucian, you are a rare noble soul.  Who knows how to take care of his priceless weapons, I might add.”

 

            Teun tried to shoo Lucian away, so he could work on the blade, but Lucian refused to leave saying that he’d rather stay and help, and that he might even pick up a think or two about blacksmithing.  Teun immediately said yes, knowing that he was going to end up helping no matter what he said (Dang Lucian’s puppy face).

            So they both sat and worked for about an hour on repairing the weapon.  And by they had finished, the blade looked like new.  Lucian slipped the dagger into its sheath on his belt, said his goodbyes to Teun, and left the shop.

 

            Now that Lucian was out of errands, he decided to go visit his brother and the mutual town meeting, which was always held once at the beginning of the week.  This town meeting was to inform the villagers of the kingdoms profits, up coming events, and relations with other kingdoms and cities.  These meetings were usually run by the king, but since Lucian rejected his fathers request to go in his place, Konda gets stuck with the job (As usual).

            Lucian slowly made his way to central park, where they were still preparing for the meeting.  But on his way, he had bumped into a tall pale man wearing a hooded black cloak, which was coving his face. 

            “I beg your pardon!” Lucian apologized full heartedly (Although it was the cloaked man’s fault in the first place).  The mysterious man stayed silent. 

            “I should have been watching where I was going.”  The man just kept to himself, making the conversation quite awkward. 

            “So, um, were you heading to the mutual town meeting?”  The man nodded, but still said nothing.  Lucian perked up,

            “Great, we can go together!”

 

            The two went to the meeting and listened intently.  Konda talked about the current status of his majesty, how the relations with other towns were unchanged, about little crimes such as thefts from a candy shop or trespassers on farm property, and how the crops were making a fine recovery from the previous tragedy in the crops fields a month ago (You see, some dimwit cast a fire spell in the kingdom’s farm’s crop fields.  This, as you can imagine, did not turn out well for the crops.)

            Oh, right, the crop fire.  I wonder why father ignored that tragedy.  Maybe that’s why the farmers looked so angrily at me at Pac’s shop, Lucian thought.

           

            Soon Konda was done talking and the crowd of people began to disperse.  “Well that was a little duller than I thought it was going to b…”  Lucian stopped, and realized that he was talking to himself.  The cloaked man was gone.  Lucian scrunched his eyebrows together, trying to think of when he could’ve left during the meeting.  But Lucian then heard Konda talking to Fargo, who was there assisting Konda at the meeting.  Lucian quickly scrambled up to the stage to see him.

            “Konda!”  Lucian grinned, tapping his brother on the shoulder.  Konda huffed, and then turned to face Lucian.

            “What?” he moaned.

            “We have to study, remember?”  Lucian said, reaching for the scroll in his pocket.  Konda’s eye’s widened as Lucian reached for the scroll.  He then whipped out his hand and grabbed Lucian’s wrist before he could reach his pocket.

            “Yeah, I know what you’re talking about; you don’t have to take the stupid thing out every time we talk about it!”  Konda scolded.  Lucian nodded in agreement, although not completely sure why Konda had to act out like that.

            “Anyway, I’m busy at the moment.”  Konda fibbed.  Lucian crossed his arms, getting a bit irritated.

            “Every time I want to study, you always say you’re busy!  What’s so bad about studying?”  Konda closed his eyes in thought, and then replied:

               “Honestly Lucian, ask any other person in the kingdom, at our age, that has to maintain an education, if they like to study.  No one enjoys studying!  Can you really be that dense?”  Lucian lowered his eye brows and looked up at Konda,

“You’re lying.  Not everyone hates studying.  You don’t dislike studying.  When I asked you before to study the wild life down by the pond behind the palace, you came with me without any question, and you enjoyed it!  What makes studying this scroll any different?”

            There was a silence between the two brothers.  Konda had broken eye contact with Lucian and had turned around ready to leave.  Fargo looked over at the two and saw the contention left in silence.  He slowly strutted over and beckoned to Konda, “You had best be on your way Prince Konda.  You mustn’t be late for your training with the militia.”  Konda looked at Fargo and nodded, then walked off into town.

 

            Lucian was left with a scowl on his face which stuck for a good five seconds until he saw Fargo opening one of his duty slips left by the king.  Lucian grinned and then went to Fargo’s side.  “Is that a duty slip?”

            Fargo glanced over and saw Lucian reading over his shoulder.  He sighed and then said, “Yes Lucian, this is a duty slip.”  (They had clearly been through this conversation before.)  Lucian’s smirk grew, “What does it read?”

            Fargo knew what was coming, “It is written that I am commanded by his majesty to check for any royal parcels.”  Lucian’s smirk grew into a big cheesy grin,

            “May I take this task off your hands so you may have a moment of free time to spend on yourself?”

            “Deepest apologies Prince Lucian, but I am afraid that I was the one assigned to this task, not you.”  Lucian’s smile fell into a begging frown,

            “Please, good Sir Fargo!  You assist me and my family in so many ways; it is only fair that we repay you!”  Fargo took a deep breath and exhaled,

            “That may be so, but you are royalty, it is my job to serve you and your family. You owe me nothing.”

            “Of course we do!  It is only fair, royalty or not!” Lucian exclaimed proceeding to push.  Fargo dropped the formalities and put his foot down,

“Enough Lucian, you will never take this task, or any of my tasks, from me!”



© 2009 Brandy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

loving this story thus far. the expansiveness of it. the many characters, both in the castle and in the village. the details. very well done and you really seem to have all your bases covered as you fluidly move from one "scene" to another, pushing the story along. will be interesting to see what unfolds. nicely done. :) cant wait for more. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

loving this story thus far. the expansiveness of it. the many characters, both in the castle and in the village. the details. very well done and you really seem to have all your bases covered as you fluidly move from one "scene" to another, pushing the story along. will be interesting to see what unfolds. nicely done. :) cant wait for more. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 29, 2009


Author

Brandy
Brandy

The Land of Oz, KS



About
I love to write and draw. I prefer to read and write fantasy. Although if have read my stories, you'd know that my grammer and spelling errors are my downfall... ^_^;;; more..

Writing
War's Melody War's Melody

A Book by Brandy


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Brandy


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Brandy