Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Brandy

 

“W

hat do you mean you won’t do it?”  The king bellowed.  His loud, angry voice echoed off the enormous castle walls of his throne room, and carried all the way to the candle lit castle village (most likely waking the sleeping villagers).  He made a tight fist and squeezed it, “Why do you refuse to appear in the castle village in my place?”  The king stroked his snow white beard impatiently. 

            The brown haired boy looked up into the king’s eyes and knew immediately he would regret refusing the king’s orders.  “Well?” the king roared.  The boy feared the king wouldn’t be pleased with his answer, although he clearly knew that he would be in a worse predicament by not answering at all. 

“Father,” the boy began, “I would gladly go in your place, but I don’t believe that I have to proper knowledge to do so.”

“Lucian, you’re the prince of Artolia, and you’re telling me that you don’t think you are knowledgeable enough for such a simple task?  I hardly believe that.  Now tell me Lucian, what is the real problem?”

            The prince forced confidence in his voice and began to shout, “That is the real problem father!  I know all of our kingdom, our alliances with smaller kingdoms, and even our rival kingdom.  I know about the different tribes of the Meloda Plains, the families of the Shimo Mountains, the colonies of the Kinko Forest, and all the villages in between!  I know about the different species such as elves, dwarves, sirens, Halflings, fairies, humans, and demons!  I could even name all of the monsters known to this word!” Lucian’s voice died down to a solemn whisper “but I haven’t perfected my knowledge as Konda has.” 

            The king shut his eyes and folded his arms giving a nod. “I see.  Very well then, I shall send Konda instead.  Please go inform him of my decision.”

 

            If Lucian hadn’t been avoiding eye contact with his father, he could have been able to tell that the king was far from satisfied with his answer, and how lucky he was that he got away with a head still on his shoulders.  “Lucian, here,” the king called out as he tossed a scroll over to him, “since you think you need to perfect your knowledge, I expect you to learn as much possible from that scroll.” The king’s sympathy washed away and left a stern, firm face making the hairs on the back of Lucian’s neck stand up, “And it is also very important that Konda sees that as well.  Do you under stand me?”

            Lucian clenched the scroll in his hands and nodded, “Yes father.”  Lucian walked out of the tall throne room doors looking down at the scroll smiling.

           

            The king’s assistant strutted to the king’s side as they watched Lucian leave the room.  “Your majesty, why do you waste your time trying to make your son fit to be king if he obviously doesn’t want anything to do it,” the assistant asked in his high, eerie, annoying voice.

            The king gave a murderous glimpse to his assistant, “Don’t question my ways of parenting Fargo.  But I’ll have you know that I intend to make him interested in being king.”

           

            Lucian opened the door to Konda’s room and spotted Konda starring out the window.  Konda looked over and saw Lucian walk in, “So how did the meeting with father go?”

 Lucian shrugged and smiled sheepishly, “It was alright, I guess.”

            “Alright?” Konda repeated, “What did he want?”

            “He asked me to appear in front of the village for him, and I turned him down.  Father said that he would send you instead.”

           

            Konda gave a deep sigh.  Lucian always seemed to get out of doing the king’s duties.  That is just one of Konda’s brother’s many traits, no one can say no to him.  Not that anyone refuses Konda either, but that’s beside the point.  People listened to them for two completely different reasons.  They listened to Konda, because he’s the prince, no one in the right mind turns down royalty.  People obey Lucian because he is so kind and caring, but people mostly listen to Lucian because of his baby face.  No one can reject him, no one, not the villagers, the king, Konda, or anyone.  Even the man with the coldest, hardest, heart on the planet would turn to putty in Lucian’s hands.

 

            “Lucian, why do you keep on turning down favors that have anything to do with doing father’s work?  You love doing favors!  Why is doing the favors father asks of you any different?”

            “Because, all the favors father asks me to do are always work for the king!”

            “So?”

            “So, you’re the one who is supposed to take father’s place at the throne.  Not me.”

            “What?  Lucian, what are you talking about?  We’re both eligible for the roll.”

            “But you are the eldest.”

            “Age has nothing to do with it; father said he would choose between the two of us, despite our ages.”

            “But Konda, you know so much more than I.  Your leadership skills are much better than my own!  Over all, you are more fit to be called king than I am.”

            Konda smiled a bit, “Thanks Lucian, but you have traits that I could never imitate that a good king needs to have.”  Lucian looked at Konda; he couldn’t believe that his brother had said that he had a positive trait that he didn’t.

           

            Konda was known for numerous things.  He has been known for being an excellent leader, the best fighter Artolia has ever seen, the obvious next King of Artolia, and even the most beloved among the female people in the city.  But never has he been known for being kind to someone else, especially his younger brother.

           

            Konda’s smile grew, and it began to worry Lucian. “Lucian, you can find the good in anybody, love someone no matter what they have done.  You even enjoy doing favors for other people, even people you don’t know!  I could never carry out that much kindness so easily.” 

            As much as Lucian agreed with this, he still couldn’t believe his ears, “Konda, why are you being so friendly to me?   This isn’t like you, it is rather daunting.”  Konda just kept smiling that heart warming, yet creepy, smile and replied, “Lucian, don’t ever change, don’t lose those traits, no matter what happens.”

 

            Lucian was too shocked and confused to continue the awkward conversation, so he changed the subject.  “Um, Konda.  Father said he wanted me to study this, and wanted you to see it as well.”  Lucian said, taking the scroll out of his pocket.

            Konda looked at the scroll and noticed the seal holding it closed; the sight of it made his heart warming smile turn into a heart breaking frown.  Lucian looked closer at Konda’s face, “Konda?”

            Konda broke eye contact with the scroll and looked back at Lucian.  He wiped his eyes and gave a half hearted smile.  “We’ll both study it when we see each other again.  But for now, I think it’s best if you go to bed.”

            Lucian nodded placing the scroll back in his pocket.  Konda gave Lucian a hug as tears began to trickle down his cheek.  “Good night brother.” Konda whispered sadly.

           

            Lucian walked out of Konda’s room and into the torch lit hallway, with Konda’s last words ringing in his head.  “Good night brother.” Lucian repeated to himself.  For reasons Lucian couldn’t comprehend, those last three words made his heart ache.



© 2009 Brandy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow. very interesting first chapter. captivating, creative, well written, with excellent dialog exchanges. you have talent. im most curious what the deal with the scroll is and eager look forward to chapter 2. well done indeed. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 29, 2009


Author

Brandy
Brandy

The Land of Oz, KS



About
I love to write and draw. I prefer to read and write fantasy. Although if have read my stories, you'd know that my grammer and spelling errors are my downfall... ^_^;;; more..

Writing
War's Melody War's Melody

A Book by Brandy


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Brandy


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Brandy