The rebirth

The rebirth

A Story by walk-alone
"

A tale of how will and economics changed lives.

"

THE REBIRTH

 

 

He opened the door of the taxi and stood up with utmost purpose and dominance. He lifted his hat and shook his thick brown hair, only to disclose his cunning smile and piercing eyes. He had a mean yet presiding look on his face. There was dominance yet elegance about his appearance as he walked towards the main entrance of the Wilfred Astoria, the same hotel that had evicted him four years ago with disgrace. The doorman, was still the pleasing and ageing Mr. Thomas, one of the two people that David respected in the world.

 David was the son of the second richest man in the world and the richest American there was. When he was nine his mother died and his father never remarried. Thus David and his father David senior had spent the next ten years alone. Living in Wilfred Astoria David had almost adapted the hotel’s staff as his surrogate family. As a little boy he would play with the manager’s children who came to visit often. Than there was the elevator holder Michael. He was about two years older than David. An African American Michael was a strong lad who introduced David to hip hop, rap and taught him how to flirt with girls in the lobby. Then there was Mr. Thomas, who was almost like a grandfather to him. David would sit with him for hours as Mr. Thomas would dazzle him with the most ridiculous fantasies. When he was older and he understood Mr. Thomas’s naivety but would still sit with him just to make him happy.

His only real family was his father. Mr. David Sr. was a self made billionaire who had a total worth of 50 billion dollars. He had started of as a potato farmer in the south. After building a processing plant he had his own line of processed foods by the age of twenty. After his success in food consumables he ventured into the energy sector where he had his first break through. He had his own mining and extraction companies when he was reached the one billionaire mark at thirty. This was the time he met his wife and David’s mother Nigella. The two were married and two years later David was born when David senior became the first person from the south to have a total worth of more than thirty billion dollars. David’s birth was nothing but a blessing for the duo. The family moved to Los Angeles, Beverly hills to live a peaceful laid back life. How ever all hell broke lose when Nigella died. The pain was too much to handle for David senior who sold their house and moved to Astoria in New York. Ever since the death of his wife David senior changed completely. He went from the sharply dressed gentlemen who had an answer to every problem to a clumsy middle aged man who had very little regard for anything else in life. Except of course of David his son who was perhaps the only reason he was still alive for his strength, determination and willingness left him the day Nigella died. He would seldom go to his office and occasionally worked from his house. Business did not interest him nor did it bring him any pleasure. He would spend the whole day playing with his son and looking at the picture of his wife. He would tell him stories of his childhood and the adventures he had experienced. When ever he asked him about her mother David senior would have no answer for his son. He would just go to the balcony and point to the stars with a trickle in his eye. Just for that moment the roles would reverse and it was the son that would give his father a pat on the back and gave him support.

As David grew he realized how tough a life he had in front of him. When he was eleven he fell sick due to a fever. Although it was nothing serious the next day the following headline appeared in the newspapers “Billionaire able to tend to millions but not to his own son”. His father had been worried sick all day and he knew that his father cared about him more than any other thing and that is what made him angry. Such banality by the media was perhaps the first indication of the tough times ahead. Then when he was sixteen he went on his first date with a cute girl from his school. The date went fine but as soon as they were leaving they were ambushed by a wave of photographers and media personnel. Some of them even had the audacity to ask such ridiculous question such as “Mr. David would she be your wife” or “Will your relationship get physical”. Such questions were a tad too much and the temperamental David started attacking the reporters in disgust and frustration. Such events became regularity and David was branded as a playboy while in reality he had done little wrong and in fact rarely went out to gatherings or parties.

When he was nineteen a new leaf was turned over in David’s life. He was to leave for college in the fall. Although distracted yet David was a gifted student who excelled at academics and other activities. He had an impressive resume for his time in school winning many accolades during his time. This included winning national debating and poetry competitions. However his achievements were always overshadowed by his family lineage. His victories were often scrutinised with opponents often claiming that he had used his excessive monetary influence to alter decisions in his favour. Such accusations were a normal occurrence for David by that time. At first, David was troubled by such a blatant propaganda against him however his life had taught him all too well to deal with such situations and he learnt to forget, for ignorance is a bliss.

Thus on the back of his impressive record he was admitted into Stanford. David though was not sure whether he could accept their offer. He knew that his father was emotionally unstable at the time and it was for this reason that David had not told him. But the possibility of starting fresh in a place of learning was all to tempting for him. The possibility of escaping all the media attention and constant criticism forced him to muster enough strength to talk to his father. “Dad I have something to tell you”. His father shook his head to acknowledge his attention towards him while eating the leftovers from yesterday. “I got accepted into Stanford and….” His father stood up shocked and confused. He did not know whether to congratulate him or fear for himself. However he walked straight towards him and hugged him. “I am proud of you son but when did you apply. You should have told me. Maybe I could have helped”. But inside the news was killing him. His son had been the centre of his world. Now with him gone what would he do? As he thought about this a trickle appeared in his eye. He was unable to hide his emotions and David could sense it. Initially David was reluctant to say anything.  In truth he had no idea what to say. But seeing his father he knew he had an obligation to do the right thing. ”I should not go. Who will be here with you if I leave”? His father though knew that he had to let his son go. What kind of a father I would be if I held my son back from realising his dream for my own selfish reasons, he thought. “No son you are going to that college no matter what. You know I can take care of myself” David senior said. “Yeah right dad”. Both father and son giggled as both sat down and laughed at each other, sharing stories about each other’s incompetence. It was late and David got up to go to bed. “Good night dad and thanks for being so understanding”. “No problem son and if you ever feel homesick just call me maybe we will buy this damn college of yours”, said David senior in his typical drunken southern accent. “Too much to drink tonight” said David. “No just enough son” replied his father. So after a couple of months David left for college in the fall, hoping to make a life of his own. A life not overshadowed by his wealth or reputation.

One day on a sunny day in the area David got the news that he dreaded the most. His father had died of a presumed heart attack last night. David felt weak at the knees. He could not breathe nor did he have the strength to speak. He just fell to his knees and cried.  He cried out of shame and guilt. He considered himself responsible for his death. How could he be so self obsessed after all that his father had done for him. But now it was too late. All he could do was live with the regret and remorse that he had caused. The same night he packed his belongings and was transported to New York where he was to attend his father’s funeral and then deal with his business dealings. When he got up to say a few words about his father he could think of nothing. How could one summarise a hero, a mentor, a protector, a guardian in some menial words. As he stood, he hesitantly spoke “My father was the father I had but not the one I deserved. I have been too selfish and obsessed to see my wrongs. That is all I have to say”. He stood down and walked straight out of the church. He had no family. He had no one. All he had was a humungous pile of money which could never buy happiness nor could it change all the mistakes he had committed in his life.

After a week David was asked to preside over a meeting of the board of directors. He could not understand anything. All the bickering between old men regarding mark ups and market share started suffocating him. All he could think of was how his father had managed all this and yet still remain a sane joyous person. At that moment he realised he was not cut out for the corporate jungle and left the meeting in between with absolutely no regard. The meeting was adjourned and his father’s trusted companion and second in command Mr. Norris came up to talk to him. “Son, I know it will be hard but you have to do this”. “I cannot sir I do not know anything about the company nor do I have the guts or passion to move it forward. It would be a disgrace to my father if I continued working here. Thus I have decided to return to Stanford and complete my bachelors and masters degree. During that time I entrust all my rights and responsibilities to you”. Just then David left with no intention of returning any time soon.

Five years had gone by and David was about to complete his master’s degree. He was sitting in the dorm room with his friends from his economics class. The television was turned on and the Fox business channel was on. There on the screen was Mr. Norris announcing that David enterprise was going public. David was smart enough to know what it meant. In simple terms he was losing control of his fathers work. “This is not possible right. As the major share holder I should have been consulted right”. He knew he was right but had a suspect expression on his face. That night he booked a flight to New York to sort everything out. It was 10 at night. David went straight to the office and called out Mr. Norris in anger. “What is the issue son?”  “You know what it is. You just sold me out”, shouted David. Mr. Norris with a cunning smile on his face replied, “yes son I just did. Its my office now. So you get the hell out or else I can call security to assist you, you spoilt rich brat”. David resisted and thus was thrown out of the building. He had nothing left except for 100000 dollars in his account which was deposited by his father before his death. He knew what had happened. By signing his powers to Mr. Norris he had allowed him unrestricted access to his funds. He thus did not need any permission from David to do anything. “How could I be such an idiot”? David banged his head on the walls of the train station. All his credit cards were cancelled and he had only enough to buy a return ticket back.

At Stanford life changed after this monumentally idiotic mistake for David. For the first time he was living on a budget. He felt like a god disbanded from heaven, having to adjust to the ways of the common man. Then two weeks before graduation, he was sitting at a party drinking alone. Just then a well built and sharp looking man asked him if he could join him. This was Mr. Ahmed or as people called him Mr. A. He was of medium height yet stood and spoke with authority. Although financially unstable this was a man who could beat the best in the corporate world. Well regarded for his intellectual ability and cut throat ideas. “I heard what they did to you. I am sorry but to be honest I was not surprised. Norris has had a history of defrauding people”, he said. “How can you say that? You do not know him”, David replied. “Oh but I do too well. If you want to hear more just come to my room tomorrow”, replied Mr. A. He got up with a grin on his face. A smile, of maddening genius and eyes of pure evil talent. David was captivated by the man. He had heard stories about him but it was the first time he had met him.

The next day as scheduled David went to his room. He knocked, only to be met by a beautiful girl though dressed in pyjamas. “Let him in Sophia”, a familiar voice answered. As David entered all he could see were book relating to economics and fraud. And amongst them was Ahmed sitting on a desk which seemed unable to shoulder the weight of the books on top of it. “Good day my friend, so you came”. “Well I had no choice”. “So this is Sophia. She is a hacker and a computer wizard. She does not like you but I guess she was intrigued by your stupidity”. “Yeah I get that. Can we move on”.

It was then that he showed him files of how Norris had transferred funds from the company to his account and then taken it public to counter liquidity problems. “So that is how he did it. But how do you know. No one does” asked David. “Like I said Sophia is a hacker. You should be able to make a connection”, replied Ahmed. As David was observing the documents he had a brilliant idea in his mind. But in its essence it was madness. He had already made on e gigantic blunder but he thought better to die a brave heart than to live as a coward. “Ahmed would you be willing to participate in a joint venture to change the world” asked David. Ahmed liked the sound of it and the three were too pull of the greatest heist of the century. “Won’t you offer me something to drink” asked David in anticipation of a kind gesture. Au contraire. Instead Ahmed replied in a condescending tone “we run businesses not your grand mother’s house where you expect treats”. That was the end of it. That day David learnt the biggest lesson in business, “take everything give nothing”.   

“Well we need some start up capital, May be I should invest my deposit” David said. “No I have an idea. Lets pray on Americas greatest weakness, gambling” replied Ahmed sarcastically. He ordered Sophia to form an algorithm to start an online poker game just for the campus. After two days of un relentless work the game went online. The game went viral in hours as the whole campus was hooked on their computers. All the gamers had to do was deposit a couple of dollars to start playing. As they progressed they had to pay a fee to progress. What was cunning about it was that the algorithm designed was un crack able. The gamers were given opportunities to win and they spent their money like water as the lust for wealth got the better of them. More than that gambling was banned in the university thus a secret and exclusive network was sure to attract attention. In a couple of months the game had a total worth of 500 000 dollars with advertisements linked to it. All this time the three had gathered enough to initiate the next phase of their plan. During this time they also graduated and Ahmed was the valedictorian. When asked what he would say in his address, he replied “sorry people but my mind is working at matters much greater than this so find another pretender for I am too busy”. Stanford was prestigious institution and refusing to be the valedictorian of such an institution spoke lengths about Ahmed’s character and arrogance.

Three months down the line and they began their next venture which was a hedge fund. How ever to operate such a fund they would need an amount in excess of over two million dollars. At the moment they only had 800 000 dollars. Where were they going to came up with the rest of the amount baffled David but not Ahmed and Sophia. Then one day while looking outside the window Ahmed shouted “I have got it”. His plan’s dangerous nature was only seconded by the brilliance of it. Their plan was to defraud a minor bank in the area. The bank they chose was the Metropolitan bank. Sophia went to the bank for a loan but not in the name of their hedge fund but in the name of a dummy company called Sophia’s fund. Their plan was to take the loan and invest in their hedge fund but without returning it. How was this possible? After six months Sophia’s fund was to declare bankruptcy. The bank would take control of the companies assets but if those assets were themselves intangible and non existent than the bank would have nothing. Thus the plan was made. Sophia went in dressed in seductive gown to catch everyone’s breath. She was elegant and beautiful as long as she did not speak, for she had a horrible voice and sense for words. However no one dared to tell her. Everything went smoothly and in six months later she declared bankruptcy. Everything was going as planned when a dreaded phone call was answered by Sophia. When she left the office she handed out her real number to a cute boy who worked in the recoveries department. When she declared bankruptcy and her collateral was found out to be a fraud the boy called her and the authorities were able to track the call as she picked up. “What are we going to do know?” exclaimed David in nervousness and anxiety. Ahmed had seldom been flustered but the expressions on his face told a completely different story. ”We have to move and shut down everything. The poker game and all are profiles online. “Sophia you got us into this mess sort it out” said Ahmed. She was not called a wizard for nothing. Her algorithms always had something unique. The fact that they all had self destruct sequences was a quality few programmes had. “The poker game is easy to close just go into my programme files and type David is a stupid cow who blew his wealth I do not know how” said Sophia. “What?”, shouted David. “Like I said she is mad. Do as she says we will deal with your quarrels later” said Ahmed. All the files were copied onto disks and USB’s and the online system was destroyed. The three stormed out of their offices and climbed on the first bus out of New York. Soon they were in Miami where they stayed for a month in closed quarters. Despite all the problems they were able to execute their plan and the most important phase was ready to be initiated.

Now that they had enough resources to start their own brokerage firm their company was registered at the Securities and Exchange Commission. After a month of inspection and paper work the firm started operations on the 23 of January. This was co incidentally also Ahmed’s birthday. The three thus went out to a local restaurant near their office. “I have often wondered a thing or two about you, can I ask you something”, David asked with an intrigued expression on his face. “Yeah sure anything you want” replied Ahmed in his usual calm demeanour. “Do you even realise how talented you are. Why would someone like you help me and reject a great honour like you did at the university for my cause”. Ahmed gazed into his eyes with a coke in his hand replied, “I will tell you why. You see I only have one rule. That I will never to ordinary or average. I do not study because I have to but because I want to. It helps me to be better than the rest. I do not date or go out because I feel I have a certain responsibility to give the world something new something magical. You provided me with such an opportunity. Regarding my refusal to address well to be honest I did not like the dean so did not feel like helping out”. “What is your dream Ahmed” asked David.  “Too be a share holder in my favourite football club Arsenal, seems like they could use the money”. David laughed at the rhetorical yet elegant way in which he talked. That night he learnt a great deal about the man and how insightful and emotional he was. Sophia arrived a bit late with a box in her hand. “I know you do not like gifts but this year I had to”, exclaimed Sophia in excitement and happiness. Inside was a book related to the greatest financial frauds in history. “It will soon be out of date dear but thank you”, said Ahmed. “Why is that”, asked David. Ahmed replied with a deceitful smile “It wouldn’t have our heist right”. The three laughed through ought the night and went back to the office at 3 o clock, the office incidentally being their home as well. They had invested every penny that they had.

The next day they started to function properly. David and Sophia would be the traders on the trading floor and Ahmed would monitor the proceedings. After months of hard work the company had grown into a major corporate fund and within two years had a total worth of a billion dollar. Guided by the skills of Ahmed and shear hard work by David and Sophia the company had now grown into a firm employing more than hundred workers. Then on a certain day Ahmed decided it was time to call it quits. When he revealed the news to his two partners, there was a sense of madness and arrogance about it. Sophia agreed to it but David refused. “Are you crazy? We are doing so well. I think you are trying to do something idiotic because you are in a rut but now we all have futures riding on this”. “Have you forgotten the reason we first started this place for. I have not and this is the best way to move forward”, replied Ahmed. “But what about all those who have invested in us” asked David. “I suppose there is always a risk in investing. It may be morally wrong but then again we are economists not priests huh. Most will get their money back. This will accumulate to 750 million but the remaining amount will be 500 million which we will use for our next step”. “What is the next step? You don’t tell us anything” shouted David. David could do nothing. He knew he had to trust him and resigned his future in Ahmed’s hands. Thus it was decided. Fake income statements and documents were prepared and the company declared bankrupt after two weeks. There was a huge cry on the stock market but to no avail as the owners were all listed under aliases with wrong information. Sophia was able to hack into the security system to erase their pictures. No one had seen Ahmed so there really was no significant danger until they were caught.

The 500 million was placed under different accounts in different parts of the world under false accounts. Slowly they used different accounts to purchase shares in David industries. Their plan was to purchase 51% of the shares to attain control. But as things seemed like perfect there was a significant drawback. The company announced rising profits leading to soaring prices. This meant that they did not have enough funds to buy the rest of their needed percentage of shares. “What should we do now?” asked David. He seemed to understand nothing as to what was going on. Ahmed and Sophia too seemed puzzled. Ahmed spent the next few weeks studying. He spent all this time reading and studying different frauds and scams. Sophia and David seemed worried. They had never seen Ahmed like this in all the time they had known him. Then after exactly eleven days Ahmed came out of his room with a small paper in his hand. “What is that”, asked David as he and Sophia looked intriguingly towards him. “Our solution” replied Ahmed. After having studied the paper for hours David realised the genius of the man in front of him. An economic operation that would surely shook the world stock markets. What he had planned was at the minimum deserving of a noble laureate.

The three had control of about 40% shares in David enterprises under different names through out the world. On the first of May they sold all their shares on the stock market. Such a sudden influx of shares on the market caused panic and selling. The stock market crashed in anticipation of more losses. World stock markets came tumbling down as the NYSE was reduced to its lowest ratings in years. What Ahmed had planned was that by selling these shares they would cause the share price to come down significantly. While everyone would be busy selling they would buy the shares at the reduced price. The lower price enabling them to purchase the remaining shares that they needed. That is exactly what happened. By the time the market cleared they owned about 50.1% of the shares. In plain words, David was again the owner of his fathers companies. “How did you pull that of” inquired David with words seemingly impossible to define the genius of the plan. “Like I said you continue to doubt me my friend. Isn’t it magical like I promised”. Ahmed stood amidst electronic boards laughing at his achievement, like a conqueror standing amidst his subjects. David could do nothing but admire the man in front of him. Too him he was the guardian that God had provided him. Ahmed stood amidst all the documents and number sheets smiling at the helplessness of those around him as he pulled of one of the greatest market stunts of all time.

The next day David booked a flight to New York to visit Mr. Norris who was living in the Wilfred Astoria. In the same pent house that David had spent his childhood. As he entered everyone stood in shock at the sight of him. To them he was back from the dead. He went straight to his usual apartment knocked and then ordered the guards to evict Mr. Norris. “How can you. I am the owner”. “Oh really, you might want to check that again”, replied David, with a sarcastic and condescending tone rivalled only by his friend Ahmed.

After taking control and sorting out all the paperwork David called Pakistan at the hotel where the three were staying while all they had conspired happened in front of them. To his great amazement he was gone. He left no trace. He vanished like an angel who was only sent to help him. For months David tried to find him or Sophia but to no avail.

Two years down the line David was in London enjoying his vacations. He was enjoying an entertaining football match between Arsenal and Tottenham while being seated in the VIP box. As he gazed over to his side, there he was, Ahmed sitting in the VIP stand which was beside him. David was shocked and lost for words. He asked a club official who the person was. He replied “he is one of our major share holders. I do not know where he lives but he is always here for every match. I believe people call him…” “Mr. Ahmed that is what they call him right” interrupted David. “No sir I believe it is Mr. Anas”. Just then David realised what had happened. His real name was never Ahmed. He also remembered how Ahmed or Anas had always revealed his desire to invest in his favourite football club Arsenal. In fact he was not sure whether his name was Anas or was he to playing with club officals. But one thing intrigued him most. With the amount of money that he had he could probably have bought the club. Then why didn’t he. After hours of thinking about it he remembered a small piece of paper that he used to carry with him it said

“Never be the best man for people expect too much of them

Never desire the spot light for it demands too much of you

Be the man behind the curtain

For the greatest man never reveals his true identity”.

© 2013 walk-alone


Author's Note

walk-alone
Would really appreciate some reviews on the general idea.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

401 Views
Added on June 20, 2013
Last Updated on June 20, 2013