The deception

The deception

A Story by walk-alone

Lonely is my heart
Empty is my hope
It seems each turn is blocked
Trapped by emotions I can't cope
Every time the winter wind blows
And trees sway in silhouette form
I feel my heart freezing inside
With no love to keep it warm
When grey clouds sweep the sky
And the cold raindrops turn to snow
It makes me wonder why I've left
And where my heart is leading me to go
Sometimes I can hear whispers in the wind
Speaking of love and hope to live on
But, there is no one there when I turn
I am nothing but fate's last white pawn
The birds of the air laugh in mockery
At my life's impending doom
So, I silently stare at the lonely clouds
And await my future tomb.

 

This was what Elton John was writing as he gazed through the windows in his jail cell. The cold winds and seemingly unending layer of ice reflected what his life had become. A deep dark abyss where there was no hope for companionship nor love.

Elton John was a seemingly tall and handsome 17 year old when he was recruited by the CIA in 1996. His charm and persona were his greatest weapons. His powers of persuasion and seduction were what caught every ones eyes. By 1998 he was the agencies greatest asset. Completing missions and living life that married men dream of. Extravagance and arrogance defined him as he juggled his way through life. How ever fate has a funny way of leveling things out.

In 1998 the CIA discovered that the Russians were plotting a vicious attempt to use bio chemical weapons on US allies. Rumors had been ripe for about a decade that the Russians had perfected the manufacturing of such weapons. The CIA had for ten years tried to penetrate through their security network to falter any such attempt but to no avail as they struggled to counter perhaps the best security network at that time. Spies, drones and all types of gadgetry was used but to no use. How ever with the arrival of the American 007 Elton John, things had changed.

On the first of September he was selected to carry out the task that had seemed impossible for the agency. That was to infiltrate the security in Moscow and shut down this menacing project. The mission was a coveted operation with only a handful of people having any knowledge of it. If John was caught the US government would deny knowledge of any such activities and he was perfectly aware of this fact. Driven by arrogance rather than patriotism Elton John signed the consent form not knowing that he had just signed his own death certificate. Although seemingly unfair and irrational this was a typical day for any spy. This was the difference between them and soldiers. If soldiers were killed they were honored as martyred and if they lived then as victorious. Spies were neither honored nor celebrated. If they were caught their country disowned them and if they were killed they were thrown in a river, just a small drawback of becoming a spy.

How ever John never had anything to fear cause he had nothing to lose. His parents died when he was a toddler and he had been raised by the American system. The cruelties of the foster care system had made him immune to heart aches or heart breaks. In his own words he described himself as “ the one person alive with no heart”. Such hostility and pessimism were the breeding grounds for an ideal spy, some one who was uncaring and willing to put every thing on the line.

On the first of November all preparations had been concluded. All was left was for john to travel to Russia and dazzle them with his skills. As a spy it was typical of him to remain quiet on journeys and not talk to anyone. In the seemingly deceitful world of secret agents every one and anyone could be an enemy, a possible threat. How ever this time things seemed different and out of place. He was particularly in awe of a stewardess on the plane. But this was nothing new for him. If there was one thing that john enjoyed more than any thing was the company of a beautiful woman. A gentlemen of sorts John asked her name with utmost politeness and respect. “ Margaret” she replied with a voice that seemed like Beethoven’s symphony. John was bedazzled, lost for words and this led to a conversation that had far reaching consequences. Time seemed to fly as it usually does when one is having a good time. All this time Margaret and John had talked and done nothing else. It was as if they had known each other their whole lives. Both were young and had suffered a lot. This was the first time john did not feel threatened, it was as if fate had played its hand. After a tiring flight the two exchanged contact details to remain in touch, promising to meet that very night. That night never came.

As john got off the plane and made his way towards a designated vehicle he felt uneasy. If there was one thing about Russia that was true without any argument was the fact that Russians were the most intimidating people on earth. Their tall stature and gazing eyes sent a chill down his spine. Just like doctors can feel death he knew some thing was wrong and like always he was right. As soon as he stepped outside the airport, a fleet of military vehicles were waiting for him. This was no presidential escort, john knew he had just met his worst nightmare.  A guard shouted” получить �™ �'ан”(get in the van). John tried to remain composed and replied "there has been a misunderstanding sire” but they did not buy it. They shoved him into the van and a searing punch to the head knocked him out.

Ten years had passed since that day. John was no longer the CIA’s jewel. As expected the agency denied any involvement and as per Russian law he was sentenced to life imprisonment. No longer was he the dashing young man that came to Moscow but was this bearded dirty outsider that was the punching bag of the entire prison yard. The guards did little to protect him, no Russian had any sympathy for this American. But as faith had caused him to fall down flat on his face when he was at the top of the world it was the only ray of hope in this unhopeful and dreadful place.

On the 10 of November 2006 a capped tall man visited john in prison. This was the first time that anyone had mentioned his name in over a decade. Curiosity can be a dangerous thing and john had learnt it the hard way. Naturally he was reserved and scared. It had been years since he had heard another voice which did not stress on the letter y in every word. No, he was American and some one who john knew. Thhe two talked for a while then the gentlemen left with a handshake and nothing else. The guards were too naïve to know that all hell was about to break loose.

Two days had passed since the meeting. Nothing seemed unusual nor exceptional. It was the same Russian landscape with nothing else but snow as far as the eye can see. During the afternoon a package arrived in the prison office for john. In it was a book named Do svidaniya (good bye). As soon as the guard spelt the words there was a deafening blast. John knew that this was his cue. The man that had visited him was a CIA agent. John seemed useful again and it was time they got him out. How ever the russians would gun down any plane in their air territory thus he had to cover a distance of 50 miles to cross its border and enter Mongolia where there would be an air lift waiting for him. Every thing had to be executed perfectly, difference of seconds and john would be left behind where he would either be captured and killed or be forced to live as a cattle farmer in Mongolia. The prospects of both were unappealing and he knew it was better to die and rot in ice than to go again to russia. For six days he survived on nothing but raw seal meat. The winter gales tested his faith, his endurance and his will. Like a cruel master the weather was un merciful doing everything it can to stop the determined Eton John. Nothing but God could stop him now for he had waited too long and too hard for his second chance.

It was a blistering morning. It was snowing cats and dogs. John could see nothing. There was a small hut in sight about a mile away and that was it. It was like the ice age was back. Not a living being in sight as far as the eye can see. John forced his way to wards the hut which was barely standing on its own. As soon as he reached the door steps he kicked down the door and entered, he was utterly amazed, shocked, proud and hungry.

Inside was a metal container being used by the CIA to hide their helicopters. The hut was used as a camouflage to distract any attention. John was relieved. A fellow marine carried him to a stove top, john asked if there was something to eat the marine replied" what would you like”. John replied “I would fancy a cheese burger but I think that is a bit far fetched”. The marine laughed as they both shared a glass of hot milk and got ready for take off.

In the frighteningly quiet night with darkness of a black hole the team prepared to take off. The CIA had since john’s time invested heavily in technology. These new stealth helicopters were capable of flying at ridiculously high speeds while at the same time were undetectable by radar. As the marine went about telling about its specifications john realized the gravity of the situation. During all this time the world had moved on and he had to catch up.

After hours of flying john sighed with relief as the helicopter landed on American soil. It had been ten years since he had stepped foot on this land and if he was expecting a hearty celebrating welcome well he was utterly disappointed. As soon as he walked outside the door someone injected him from behind and he became unconscious.

The next time he woke up he was on a hospital bed, chained to its side. On his chest were monitoring chips attached to computers on either side of his bed. More than anything it looked like a room for the mentally ill. Its tall white walls and empty space was depressing and unnerving. In front of him was a wall made out of glass but he could not see through it. What he did not know was the fact that outside his room were a fleet of doctors and analysts monitoring his ever move. Days passed by and he grew impatient and frustrated. Then after three weeks his room was opened. A blond girl with a serious frown on her face walked straight to him and asked him to come with her. As soon as he walked outside the door he was knocked unconscious. This time when he woke up he was angry and pissed. The moment he regained consciousness he started shouting and abusing. He started running around like a mad men with a spoon threatening to kill anyone. When a doctor asked “what do you want?” he replied “some one not to knock me unconscious like an animal and start treating me like a man.” As soon as he said that a sweet but stern voice replied “we would if you start being one”. At once he remembered who she was. All the memories came flooding to his mind. A mental image started forming, an image that had kept him warm through all those cold nights in Russia. His mind froze and his senses gave in. Could it really be? Was he really starting to lose his mind, had insanity got the better of him? With disbelief he lifted his head hoping against hope that his instincts were wrong. His eyes refused to blink, his mouth refused to talk. Was it true or was the mind playing a mean trick. A tall gorgeous woman stood in the middle of the room. Every thing about her seemed perfect. Her hair, her clothes and the aura she generated. It was Margaret, the one woman who had truly melted his heart in all his life. John sighed with relief and with happiness. A familiar face in these unfamiliar times was more than a blessing for him. He stood up with dignity and with respect. Margaret was perhaps the one person he wanted to see. He started walking towards her and tried to put her arms around her. Perhaps a hug was all he really needed from the only person he had ever wanted. What was to follow broke him completely. As he tried to put her arms around her she pushed him away.” Back off or I would shoot you right now. The only reason you are still alive is because you are some interest to the agency. If it were up to me you would probably still be in that hell hole rotting like a mouse.” John was shocked, was it the same girl that seemed like as angle and talked as if she was singing a symphony. Was this the girl that he had dreamt of? If it was then it was better that reality alluded john. John replied” don’t you remember me from that flight. Margaret laughed condescendingly” you expect me to remember some stranger from ten years ago. But I am Elton john, he replied. There were a lot of johns since then, some alive and some dead and you are not in either list. John was shocked. A man lost for words, a man lost of a soul. What was ironic was the fact that she was a mirror image of him from ten years back. Arrogant, a narcissist but a treat for the eye.      

Both were of importance to the agency thus even after this awkward and nerve wrecking event between the two, they had to learn to co habitat. The agency had planned several missions for the two, missions that seemed unrealistic and absurd. But if anyone could pull it off, it was these two. Their first briefing took place on the 10 February 2009. This was the first time the two had met each other after that unforeseen incident. John looked at her with eyes brimming of hope but this was shot down instantly by a ruthless glare that could get the better of any demon on its own. The briefing started and at the end Margaret was upset while john was confused. The two had to complete three missions all over the world in the next year. The same conditions applied to them as always. If they were caught they would be disowned.

Their first mission was to the nomadic plains in Argentina. The aim was to infiltrate a guerilla network that was transporting arms and drugs to the south American country. Although simple in its objectives these rebels were ruthless and unmerciful. Both of them knew that if the rebels were to have the slightest hint that the two were spies than they would be killed instantly. The two were to leave for Argentina on the 15 of April. John was introduced as a criminal lord wishing to expand his base in America while Margaret was his mistress who would try to seduce the rebel leader. If all was to go to plan the two would gather essential data kill the leader and order an air strike. As soon as John and Margaret reached the headquarters of this network, they were thoroughly searched. Their leader who went by the name of despiadado(merciless) welcomed them and they were seated with a banquet in front of them. These people may be unforgiving but did not spare a dime in serving their guests. John ate like a penniless beggar and Margaret looked in disgust, like a mother disappointed in his child’s table manners. Despiadado or Jonas Chavez ate and sat with dignity. He did not look like a man raised in a jungle or for that matter a leader of a rebel network. After food and drinks, it was time for business. John and Jonas discussed the terms of the agreement while Margaret continued to give him sensual glares. The two shook hands and agreement was made over a bottle of wine. Two bottles later Jonas gave in. Margaret talked him into letting out all his secrets while John prepared to strike the telling blow. A six inch knife right to the heart ended his struggles with life. Margaret was disgusted” that is the worst kill I have ever seen” but it is effective so shut up and get ready to run” replied John. The agent in him was back, ruthless, cunning and unforgiving. The two ran like the wind. After escaping the primary blast zone, Margaret communiqué “ Niner zero you are clear to go”. But there was no reply, perhaps there was a problem wit the reception. John was angry and shouted with ferocity” blast the damn thing of the planet you idiots”. That time there was a reply. Johns methods may not be pretty but they were effective. Margaret failed to acknowledge that and they quarreled and fought during the whole time, like a married couple who fought just to keep things interesting. Although personally things were a wreck professionally john was enjoying his stint back in the game. He was not as athletic as before but the experience he had gained coupled with his knowledge and his understanding of the human psyche made him a devastating weapon.

A month later the duo was back in action. This time they were in Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea. This time there was to be no shedding of blood. All they had to do was recover a disk that contained valuable information about their missile program which was under construction. John was to go as an Arabic programmer and for that he had to grow a beard. He tried long and hard but to no avail. His cells did not agree with him and there was no way he would accept the possibility of plastic surgery. Thus a fake beard it was. “You look more like a cattle herder than a programmer or a clown if you lose the beard.” John have had enough of it. “And what are you going in as the s****y mistress as always.” He banged the door shut behind him as he stormed out of the room. Margaret and everyone else were shocked. No one had ever stormed out on her let alone talked to her in that way. If her bullish attitude towards him was to make him angry, well than it worked properly. After a day of this melodrama the plan was put into action. Margaret met the chief of the program in a masquerade party. Two tequila shots later the chief who went by the name of Ji-sung was blathering like a little girl. On the other hand john got his cue when the company responsible for designing the missile system had hardware malfunction. He was to spend the night in the office. The mission was now in full throttle. Margaret sent a small text to john about the password to the mainframe. Before that john had to bypass a security closure which had about a dozen guards. So what did he do? The agency had invested a lot in technology and this showed in the gadgetry. John took out a sonic amplifier. What it did was to generate a sonic wave that would knock anyone unconscious. Gone were the days when agents had to fight their way through such a situation or may be they just were not good enough now. Never the less, john was able to enter the main computer room. All he had to was insert a USB drive and copy the data. He felt his pocket but there was nothing there. Where was the drive? Where was it? He spent the next five minutes contemplating on the possible places that he could have dropped it. It had to be in the place where he took out his sonic amplifier. But it was too dangerous to go out. His phone started vibrating at the same time. It was Margaret. She and the rest of the crew were waiting outside a supermarket for him. He started panicking, just then something fell from his pants. It was the USB drive. He remembered he had kept it in his tights so he would not drop it and it served him well. He downloaded all the data and asked the crew to meet him at the top of a super market about a mile from where he was right now. No one argued except for Margaret. She felt that john had not completed his tasks but her concerns were over turned as the head of security gave clearance. It was pitch dark in the streets. Not even a whisper nor the sound of wind. It seemed the Koreans had disciplined the winds as well. John took his chance and ran like a mad man. He saw the air lift and was relieved but he still had a lot to do. He climbed up to the roof and after a long start jumped towards the helicopter. It must have been about 10 to 15 feet. John was gliding in the air and he hung on to the side railings of the copter. “Nice one sir” said a crew member. “You know just the usual days work” replied john. Everybody laughed but not Margaret but she did not seem angry. She seemed expression less or may be she was just impressed. No one knew and no one cared but john did. He said nothing to her but he knew in her eyes that she had accepted him as a contributing member of the agency.

On their triumphant return they were welcomed grandly. The head of the agency Mr. Walker threw a magnificent party in the teams honor. “For too long this agency has been the subject of controversy and mockery but now it is our time. Thanks to Mr. John and Mrs. Margaret we are back on top. Let’s raise our glasses in our salute to the duo” stated Mr. Walker in his speech. Everyone toasted to the duos success on this night of celebration and joy.

John was not accustomed to such celebrations. It had been some time since he had put on a tie and a coat. But even after all these years he looked as fine as ever in his black waist cut suit. His clothing and his quiet mysterious personality were enough to dazzle the crowd. But this John was different. He did not flirt with anyone nor did he speak much. After exchanging pleasantries with some important guests he sat near the bar with a glass of water in his hand. “You do know we have better things than that in our cellar” said Margaret. She was wearing a stunning white dress that had left all the men and some women bedazzled. “You look nice”, complimented john. “You don’t look so bad either” replied Margaret. Like him she too did not enjoy such uncomfortable gatherings. It was the first time the two had shared a quiet moment between the two since their ill fated incident. “I wanted to apologies for the premature judgment of you and your abilities”, said Margaret with a shameful voice. “I put it behind me a long time ago. You have nothing to apologies for. If anyone should apologies it should be me. What was I thinking? Someone as gorgeous as you would remember me. Perhaps I was too egoistic to realize that the world had moved on” said John. Margaret was touched. She had no words to say. Even after her constant insults and miscreants this man had the dignity to say what he just did. That spoke volumes about his character. Margaret could not help her self. She surrendered to her instincts and went in to kiss him but he backed away. “I don’t know what a kiss means to you but to me it means commitment. It means that I am ready to die for you or die with you. If you are then I will kiss you until then I am sorry” john said. He got up kissed her hand, thanked her for a lovely evening and left. Margaret was speechless, dumbfounded. Never had she felt so vulnerable or lost for words. If she had not dreamt of a knight as a little girl well she started dreaming now about Elton John, her knight in shining armor.

After a break of ten days John and Margaret were called for a debriefing. Their next assignment was to be their most difficult and challenging. Mr. Walker in addressing the duo said “this is a highly dangerous mission. If anyone of you wants to forfeit, it would not be held against you”. Both of them agreed to the mission. Their mission was to enter a defense facility located in the outskirts of Russia. They had to collect all the data and then destroy the facility. To aid them they were each to be given a self destruct sequence. A bomb that was voice activated. After all the procedures just as he Mr. Walker was about to leave John asked “Sir what are the activating commands.” You will find them in the mission report. Now best of luck agents”, replied Mr. Walker.

Ever since the location of the mission had been disclosed both john and Margaret had been having sleepless nights. John was trying to overcome his fears about Russia. The last time he went there he was caught and jailed. When john asked Margaret what was bothering her she changed the subject. On the 1 October the two left. They were supposed to work individually. John was going as a computer programmer while Margaret was going as a scientist to examine glacier melting due to global warming. Both of them stepped on to the flight and john said “if you pull of the scientist get up, you would be the greatest actor never to act”. Margaret laughed and this was the final time they spoke for about a month. In Russia both were not allowed to talk to each other as it would raise suspicion. On the 17 of October john was called in owing to a hardware failure. “How does the agency manage to get such convenient failures eludes me” thought john.

At first john was taken to a secure location and searched thoroughly. After that he was blindfolded and was forced to board a military van. This journey reminded him of the time he was going to prison. He had a sickening feeling, perhaps an intuition that history was about to repeat itself.

After about a three hour drive john’s blindfold was removed. As soon as he opened his eyes he was knocked out by a fierce blow to the head. The next time he woke up he was tied to a chair. In front of him was Margaret chained to another chair. The Russians had got the better of the CIA. Perhaps a mole in the agency thought john. Just then a soldier came bursting in, behind him a man dressed in a typical long Russian court. He went straight to john and asked him the reason for visiting the facility. John replied “you called me to fix the computer”. After hours of interrogating john and Margaret the Russians had nothing. All this time john had managed to cut loose from his cuffs. He made himself free and ran towards the area where Margaret was kept. He fought a couple of guards and accessed her room easily. “That was too easy”, john said. As soon as he entered the room Margaret was crying. “Don’t worry we will get out of here. We may not have the information but at least we can destroy the facility”. As soon as he said this more than a dozen soldiers came into the room. They picked john up and the man with the coat said, “greatest weapon we ever made, women”. John realized what was going on. It was Margaret who was the mole. All this time she had been a double agent, providing essential information to the KGB(the Russian secret agency). It was she who had got him arrested ten years ago. John was lost for words. “How could you?” This was all he could muster and kept saying it repeatedly. Margaret burst into tears. She too was man handled and was being taken to a different room. John mustered his courage and got away from the soldiers. He ran straight towards her like a man on a mission. He fought of the guards with a smoke grenade and took her to a secluded room. “I need answers”. Why would you do such a thing? What have you told them”, john shouted. Margaret had no answers. Words could not provide answers for what she had done. John shouted “do you know how many lives you have taken”. “But I only care for one. Everything might be a lie but these tears don’t lie. They have only been shed for you”, Margaret said. Just then the door was broken and soldiers came flooding in. Margaret shouted “I love you”. At that moment john had to make a decision. He said “I love you” and shouted on top of his lungs. Just then there was a deafening noise of an explosion and then there was a gust of dust and sand. The activation codes for the self destruct sequence were “I love you”. The impact was horrific and everyone was knocked out. There was utter and frightening silence. Margaret stood up but barely. Bleeding and with her arm broken she searched for john. He was lying right next to a corpse but managed to answer Margaret as she was shouting his name. Margaret said “get up we have to go”. “No I can not” replied john. Just then there was sound of boots approaching the room. Margaret said “do you really love me or were the words meant for the bomb”. John laughed and with a trickle in his eye said “I guess we will never know”. Just then his soul left him. Perhaps it had given him enough time to say what he wanted to say. Were the words meant for her remained a mystery for the rest of her life.

Margaret was captured by Russian authorities and was hanged on charges of terrorism on the first of October 2010. When her cell was emptied the authorities found a small piece of paper with the following words written on them

“As I leave this pitiful world I have nothing left to take

But in your name I take a silent vow

I loved you then

I love you know”

                                      

© 2013 walk-alone


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

519 Views
Added on June 12, 2013
Last Updated on June 12, 2013

Author

walk-alone
walk-alone

Writing
The rebirth The rebirth

A Story by walk-alone


The journey The journey

A Story by walk-alone