A Fine Line

A Fine Line

A Story by Valerie
"

Can you determine who's sane?

"

 

“Please step inside Dr. Harper and take a seat.” A young therapist directed as Ira stepped into a bleach white session room at the asylum.
Ira could hardly contain an ironic laugh as he complied, and looked over at his interviewer. A young man fresh out of school with no sign of the wrinkles Ira wore. Ira laughed silently knowing that being a psychiatrist always left wrinkles and scars on your face and heart, especially after ten years.
“This interview will be taped for my records.”
“I would expect nothing less.” Ira nodded.
“Would you?”
“Yes, Dr. Satya. Let’s not forget I am a therapist, not a patient.”
“Very well, Dr. Harper, let’s begin. When did Jason Lanthower become your patient?”
            “Five years ago. That’s when Jason suffered a massive nervous breakdown. He was admitted to this asylum where he stayed for two years. I met him as a fill-in therapist here, and he made great progress in our sessions. We continued his therapy after his release.”
            “What occupations did Jason hold before and after his first breakdown?”
            “He was in his last year of a surgical residency at Mercy General before. Since then he has been working from his apartment as a telemarketer.
            “What event in his first job caused the previous breakdown?”
            “This is all in his files.”
            “Yes, but the courts want a second opinion on Jason’s case, and since you were his therapist during his most recent crash, you’ll have to enlighten me. So what was it?” The young therapist asked with aggravated wrinkles crossing his brow.
 “It started when a seven-year-old kid with cancer came in and made a connection with Jason.” Ira began.
            “What type of cancer?”
            “Is that really important, Dr. Satya?”
            “I believe solutions are in the details. Perhaps if you had looked into these details Jason wouldn’t be here.” Satya said.
            “Fine, whatever! The cancer started in his spleen, which Jason removed. But then it took over his entire abdomen. Radiation didn’t work. And when Jason tried to remove the tumors he ended up watching the kid die on the surgical table.”
            “Was that the turning point?”
            “Yes, that’s where it began.”
            “Just the beginning?”
            “His breakdown wasn’t immediate. So it wasn’t a full mental collapse.”
            “So it was post-traumatic stress.” Satya said continuing to scribble on his yellow legal pad. “What were Jason’s warning signs?”
            “He became an introvert, which is not his normal personality. Also there was insomnia, phone calls throughout the day, and erratic behavior when placed in a crowded environment.”
            “Like that of a hospital.” Satya remarked. “Who made you aware of these precursors?”
            “His brother, Carson.”
            “And wasn’t he the same person who confronted you before Jason’s most recent breakdown?”
            “Yes, before and during.”
 “So was that the turning event of Jason’s collapse eight days ago?”
            “I don’t know.”
            Satya’s pen stopped its scratching as the young man looked over his designer glasses. “Excuse me?”
            “I don’t know what the event was, but I know who, sort of.”
            “Didn’t you see the same precursors?”
            “Yes and no.”
            “Which was it?”
            “Yes he did withdraw and miss a couple sessions, but…”
            “But what? With his history that behavior should have sent off red flags, even bull horns.”
            “Look, I’m the one who had been helping Jason the last three years. I know him better than most, and that was the flaw in our sessions?”
            “How so?”
            “Like I said before, I am a therapist not the patient. You’re not here to analyze me.” Ira jumped up but quickly sat back down noticing his emotional tension.
            Dr. Satya then took a deep breath. “Fine then. Let’s focus on who caused Jason’s breakdown. Who was this person?”
            “Edina Folson.”
            “When did she first appear in your discussions with Jason?”
            “Three weeks after I mentioned a turning point in my life.”
            “About your fiancé?”
            “Ex.” Ira said with an emotional sigh.
            “How long had you and your fiancé been together?”
            “Five years.” Ira answered. He wasn’t sure what this question had to do with Jason, but his mind was flooded by old memories.
 
            “Wow, I don’t believe it. You two have been together since before I came back to town.” Jason stated in Ira’s office.
            “Who would have thought that a financial analyst would get tired of analysis?” Ira remarked jokingly.
            “Well it was analysis from you Ira, and not the markets.” Jason said imitating Ira’s posture and tone.
            “I guess your right. The hazard of analyzing people instead of data I suppose.”
            “Wow, I still can’t believe it. I always thought you two were the perfect couple. I had hoped I would find someone like her to share my life with one day.”
 
            “And Edina Folson appeared in your sessions three weeks later. Were you suspicious at all?”
            “Very, but the way Jason talked about her and their relationship it seemed real. Even his erratic behavior seemed to hit a lull because of her.”
            “Did you ever meet her?”
            “No, I was only told what Jason mentioned in our sessions.”
            “Which was?”
            “She went by Dina and was an aspiring model, similar to most six foot blondes in New York. Jason did mention she was a masseuse when the modeling gigs were slow. He always said she had the touch of an angel.”
            “Why was that?”
            “He said he got goose bumps every time she touched him, which I chalked up to his first relationship in over five years.”
            “All right. Were there any similarities between Dina and your fiancé?”
            “Don’t you think I thought of that first?” Ira asked. Frustration rose within him at the wet-behind-the-ears therapist’s remarks.
            “I’m sure you did Dr. Harper. I just want to know what went on when this character first appeared.”
            “Don’t call her a character like she didn’t exist.”
            “Well, she didn’t really.”
            “I haven’t figured that part out yet.” Ira remarked reluctantly, not wanting to give the young doctor an advantage over Ira’s experience. But no matter how hard he focused on Dina he couldn’t figure it out. Even when Jason’s younger brother burst into Ira’s office two weeks earlier with a revelation provided nothing.
 
            “Carson, what are you doing here?” Ira asked.
            “You have to know?”
            “Please Carson, calm down.”
            “I am tired of dealing with this. I am the only one in our family that dares to see Jason after his last breakdown. My mother is still afraid of him.”
            “I’m sure that is a lot of responsibility.”
            “Save your mumbo jumbo, Ira. Have you met her?”
            “Who?”
            “Edina Folson.”
            “Jason’s girlfriend?”
            “If that is what you want to call her.” Carson stated half under his breath pulling a folded piece of newspaper from his jacket pocket.
            “Jason has mentioned her but I cannot discuss what your brother tells me in our sessions.” Ira said.
            “Well, let me try to sum it up then. Edina Folson, born August 24th 1976. A beautiful soul, with a heart of beauty and a peaceful smile that could calm a storm.”
            “Where are you getting all that?” Ira asked in shock, since Carson’s words were just how Jason had described her over the last few months.
            “From her obituary.”
           
            “Dr. Harper, do you need a cup of coffee?” The therapist ‘in training’ asked, bringing Ira back to the white room that would drive anyone insane.
            “No. Just hurry up. I have things I want to do to.”
            “Do you?”
            “Yes, you twit. Jason was my patient and I want to find out what happened just as much as you do.” Ira rubbed his pounding temples as his frustration began to rise again.
            “All right then, when Edina came into the picture what were the subjects of your sessions leading up to last week?”
            “He focused mostly on Dina, and how he could have found the love of his life.”
            “So he shifted from his daily life to only Edina?”
            “Mostly.”
            “And this didn’t worry you?”
            “I assumed it was all part of a new relationship.”
            “Assumptions are a dangerous game in this job.” Satya remarked probably quoting his favorite psychology professor.
            “With Jason it was hard to remain objective after three years.” Ira sighed. Would this ever be finished?
            “Haven’t you had several, if not many, patients under long term observation?”
            “Yes, but most of those patients improved with time, making their sessions go from once a week, to once a month, to whenever needed. We are in the business of healing the mind, not trying to control it. With Jason, I saw him once or twice a week for three years. When you’ve had a patient like that, you will see how hard it is to stay objective.”
            “So you became his friend rather than his doctor?”
            “I guess you could say that.”
            “I half expected another outburst, Dr. Harper, since your emotions are so tied to this patient.”
            “If you keep bugging me about my emotions you will get one!”
            “I have noted that Jason was on a medication that had hallucination as a side effect, do you think…”
            “Look Dr. Satya, Jason had been on numerous medications over the years, and many of them had hallucinations as a possible side effect. So you can’t assume that this one drug, which is no different than the others, would have the side effect that landed Jason back here.”
            “So you believe Edina Folson is the cause?” Satya stared Ira square in the eyes.
            “Some how.”
            “And that is what you want to explore more?” Satya asked.
Ira’s head continued to pound. “Yes.”
 
            “She is amazing, Doc. So full of life and a playfulness that’s intoxicating.” Jason said as Ira tried to get more information about Jason’s new girlfriend.
            “Has she affected your work any?”
            “Not really. I only get to see her at night, since her schedule is so erratic. She almost got a cover page, but the photographer was an a*s.”
            It was the way that Jason spoke that profanity that hit a nerve in Ira’s head. Jason was a kind and loving man, who rarely spoke an offensive word. Why now? Was it because of Dina’s influence, or was this a precursor like it had been before.
            “Jason, why did you say that about the photographer?”
            “Say what Doc?”
            “Why did you call him an a*s?”
            “Well he is.” Jason stated sharply.
            “I wasn’t asking if he was an a*s, I was asking why you decided to call him that.”
            “Oh, goodness!” Jason noticed his slip-up and what that could mean. “I’m sorry Doc that’s just what Dina called him.”
            “But what are your thoughts about Dina’s emotions.”
            “Well it did make me mad to see her upset, but I took a breath and thought through the steps we’ve been working on over the last two and half years. Can you believe it has been that long?”
            “What happened after you went through the steps?”
            “I think that falls under relationship confidentiality.” Jason smiled.
           
            Ira remembered laughing pretty hard at that comment, but concern remained in the back of his mind. A part of him wanted to see this friend emotionally healthy instead of hanging onto every possible warning sign. But now, sitting in front of the kid with a doctorate whose ink hadn’t dried, Ira wished he hadn’t pushed those concerns aside.
            “Dr. Harper?”
            “What Dr. Satya?”
            “Don’t you think it will be hard to continue searching for answers since the Lanthower family had your license suspended?”
            “I suppose so, and thanks for the reminder. What else do you want to know?”
            “You mentioned some changes in Jason Lanthower within the first month after Edina Folson arrived on the scene, but then those remarks seem to fade away, why?”
            “Why do you think? They weren’t there.”
            “Or you weren’t seeing them because of your…”
            “If you say emotional involvement one more time, kid, I’m out of here.”
            “I would think you would be more willing to help, since it is you who is being sued. The more you help, the better your chances of not getting your license revoked permanently.”
            “My legal matter with Carson is not what troubles me. My concern is how Jason ended up back here, and I don’t need to review my files with you to figure it out.”
            “But Jason is your friend, and you want to help him in anyway possible, which is why you’re here.”
            “Very well, let’s get this over with.” Ira conceded. He did want Jason to get well, and the threats and lawyers surrounding Jason’s re-entry to the asylum didn’t change that.
            “So his behavior was calming due to his relationship with Edina Folson?”
            “It seemed that way.”
            “If he was improving, what was the event that set him off?”
            Ira was reluctant to speak of that day. In all of Ira’s experience he had never seen such an extreme breakdown in his own office.
 
            “Carson I don’t think this is a good idea.” Ira said while he and Carson waited for Jason to arrive for his weekly session.
            “I’m willing to confront him on this. He can’t live in this fantasy.”
            “But the fantasy about Edina is real to him. That in itself makes this risky.”
            “Look, Ira. Jason has been in your care for three years, and has barely been able to function in society. This is a big setback if he’s pretending to have relationships with dead people.” Carson’s words came to an abrupt stop once Jason entered the room.
            “Hello? Carson what are you doing here?” Jason asked with a jovial attitude.
            “I wanted to talk to you about Edina.” Carson said.
            “I know. I need to bring her over to meet the family. Especially since she moved in with me a month ago.”
            “She moved in?” Ira asked. Jason had never mentioned that in their sessions. “But you’ve only been dating for three months.”
            “She’s the one, guys. I have no doubt. We spend so much time together that we didn’t see the point in living in two different places.”
            “But, Jason…” Ira began, but Carson had enough.
            “Jason, look at me. Edina Folson is dead.”
            “What are you talking about I just left her at the apartment.”
            “She died three years ago…”
            “No,” Jason whispered. He slowly sat down and grabbed his hair in disbelief.
            “She was murdered in her apartment, which was in your building.” Carson continued.
            “But Carson…”
            “Jason, her death received tons of news coverage around the same time you returned to New York.”
            “That’s not possible. I’ve touched her. She touched me.”
            “Jason, she isn’t real.”
            “Yes. She is.” Jason screamed and jumped to his feet. “You just want me to be crazy, so you can continue to get all the attention and love from our parents!”
            “It’s nothing like that.”
            “Jason, calm down.” Ira attempted to regain control of the situation.
            “She’s real. She loves me.” Jason’s voice grew louder.
            “She’s not real.” Carson said softly. Trying to consol his confused brother. Ira watched Jason put his arms around his brother, and the worst seemed over. But in the brotherly embrace, Ira began to notice every muscle in Jason’s body tense up. His jaw became like stone, and the look in his eyes changed from confusion to hate.
            “Jason, let’s sit down and talk this through.” Ira knew he needed to separate the brothers. Something was twisting in Jason’s mind that sent Ira’s hair standing on end.
            “No!” Jason shouted. “No, I don’t believe you.” Jason grabbed his brother’s throat.
            “Jason let go.” Ira shouted and tried to pry the man off of his brother.
            “No, I love her. She’s real. She’s mine. You can’t have her!”
            “Jason stop.” Ira shouted again. Carson continued to struggle for breath, and Ira couldn’t get Carson free. Ira then raced to his desk and pulled out a metal box with a syringe. With bile rising to his throat, he stuck the syringe into Jason’s neck.
            Jason’s death grip loosened as the sedative took affect. Carson quickly pulled away from his brother, coughing and gasping for every ounce of air. Ira just stood there observing the patient who had become his friend. It had happened, another breakdown; all their hard work was undone by the mysterious Edina Folson.
 
            “And that is when you called the asylum?” Satya asked once Ira had finished.
            “Yes. Is there anything else you want to know? It’s late.” Ira looked down as his watch hit 9:34 p.m.
            “I think that is all I will need for now.” Satya said glancing through his notes.
            Ira rose from his seat and opened the door. But he took a step back as he found Carson standing expectantly on the other side.
            “Hello.” Ira didn’t know what else to say. His eyes drifted to the fading bruise around Carson’s neck, but Carson didn’t say a word. Ira passed though the door and out to his car glad to finally leave that place once more.
            Ira sat in his car thinking how Jason could have been so certain of Dina’s existence. What was it about her that had Jason so convinced, or was it all in his troubled mind?
            “I have to find out.” Ira said starting his car and making his way to Jason’s apartment. There had to be answers there.
           
            “Are you sure I can let you in?” The night watchman asked as he and Ira rode up in the elevator.
            “Yes, I’m his therapist, and I need to see the condition of his place to help with treatment.”
            “Here we are.” The watchman unlocked the door.
            “Is there a woman who lives here, too?”
            “No sir. There was one before Mr. Lanthower moved in, but no one that I know of since. I have to return to the front desk, but I’ll come back in thirty minutes to lock up and walk you out.”
            “Thank you for your help.” Ira watched the man walk back toward the elevator.
            The last time Ira had entered the apartment was just after Jason moved in. At that time it looked barren with only a few pieces of furniture and bare walls, but now there was a heavy feminine touch throughout the one bed room apartment. Paintings on the wall, soft cushioned chairs, potted plants, and pictures of Edina. Several of the photos were the same as the picture Carson had showed him from the obituary, but others were drawings and water colors of the blonde beauty.
            Ira’s heart pounded in his ears, and the hair on his arms stood at attention with each step through the apartment. Ira was surrounded by pictures of Edina. On every wall and every piece of furniture was some sort of picture of this woman.
            “There’s no way Jason could have gone this far without me noticing.” Ira said aloud then stepped into the bathroom. “I couldn’t have been this blind” He looked at the wealth of shampoos, perfumes, soaps, lotions, and feminine products that filled the small bathroom.
            “You took him away.” Something whispered.
            “What? Whose there?” Ira stated and turned around to see no one.
            “I loved him.” The voice whispered louder. Ira took a step forward hoping to see someone just outside the bathroom door. “He believed in me.” The voice stated turning from concern to frantic.
            “What in the world?” Ira asked still finding himself alone; then turned back into the bathroom.
            “You took him away!” The voice shouted and Ira found himself facing Dina’s piercing blue eyes in the mirror.
            “What!? No!”
***
            “I still can’t believe it.” Carson stated walking down the white halls of the asylum with Dr. Satya.
            “Well I knew Ira Harper was too emotionally involved with your brother’s case, but I never thought he would find himself in the cell next to Jason.” Satya said.
            “Do you know what happened last night?”
            “From what I heard, Dr. Harper went to your brother’s apartment after he left here, and the night watchman found him thrashing about the bathroom with razor cuts all over his chest.”
            “Wow. Do you think it had anything to do with the girl?”
            “No matter your feelings about your brother and Dr. Harper, Edina Folson was nothing more than a figment of Jason’s imagination.”
            “Then what happened to Ira?”
            “He either fell victim to Jason’s figment, or fell into his own as a reaction to Jason’s return here. There is a fine line between the insanity and truth.” Dr. Satya said.
            “I just can’t understand why they are behaving the same.” Carson said looking into Ira Harper’s padded cell.
            “They had a connection that never should have happened between a patient and a professional therapist.”
            “I hate seeing them like this.” Carson said watching the actions of Jason and Ira.
            In white padded rooms tightly fastened in straight jackets, both Jason and Ira sat rocking back and forth repeating.
            “Was she real? She had to be.”
            “Was she real? She had to be.”

 

© 2008 Valerie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
Added on February 12, 2008
Last Updated on February 12, 2008

Author

Valerie
Valerie

Houston, TX



About
--- You Should Be a Film Writer You don't just create compelling stories, you see them as clearly as a movie in your mind. You have a knack for details and dialogue. You can really make a.. more..

Writing
Running Ink Running Ink

A Story by Valerie


Willow Wind Willow Wind

A Story by Valerie