Blue star: preface-1

Blue star: preface-1

A Chapter by Amelia Black

Preface

 

 

It was 12:30 AM when the trumpets were blown. I, a warrior of Icanté, woke with annoyance. I jumped out of bed and pulled on my dirty tunic and trousers I wore every day. I could smell the sweat that covered the shirt as I pulled it over my head. I desperately needed to clean my armor and clothes. I opened the large wooden door and walked into the large corridor. Men with shovels, picks and buckets of cold water walked past. I realized what was happening. The ice was melting. I had noticed how warm it had been lately, but I didn’t know it would cause the guards to alert the whole kingdom of it. I saw one of my friends, Blayde Nasbel, and ran over to her.

 

Blayde was wearing a loose white shirt with sleeves that went to about her elbows, and a red floor length skirt. Around her waist was a black leather corset, binding her waist so that she could be as skinny as possible. She didn’t need it, for she barely ate as it was and the corset only made hr like a twig. Her long golden curls hung loosely down her back and around her shoulders, framing her heart shaped face.

 

I ran to Blayde and hugged her tight. Every time I went out to help with the ice, it was dangerous. Blayde didn’t like it, but it was my duty, even at my young age. If my father hadn’t died I wouldn’t have to be fighting in the war. I was an excellent swordsman, and I was young and strong, making him the first target. The ice was dangerous no matter what. If you lost your footing and fell down through the whole, you would not return. Ever. Well, that’s what everyone thought.

 

“Nicolas, I want you too be careful out there. You are my best friend and I don’t want you to fall.” I laughed under my breath and hugged Blayde harder for a moment longer burying my nose in her sweet smelling hair, than let go.

 

“I’ll be okay. You don’t have to worry about me,” Raoul said looking down at her. She had tears in her eyes, just threatening to spill over. She lowered her head and told him to go. He gave her a little peck on the cheek and told her not to worry, and with that he ran to the main gate that led to the outside world, beyond the castle walls.

 

Outside the whole world looked like a swarm of bees. Everyone was panicking to make sure that the ice did not melt. Raoul searched the crowd looking for the captain. There the captain stood on the far side of the ice - more than half a mile away. I looked around to see how much damage had been done.

 

Between captain and the me was a large whole about ten feet across. Cracks as wide as my hand exploded from the center, like the roots of a tree. I have never seen a tree, but I had seen pictures in my history books in class. I needed a way to get to the captain for orders.

 

The captain was a tall man, with a scruffy beard, short-cropped hair and one earring. I looked at his surroundings again and saw a small patch of ice were he could probably cross. Judging my weight, I started walking across the cold ice. Suddenly, I heard a loud crack as the ice under his feet split. I panicked, and started to run towards safe ground. The ice cracked again, making a gap. The ice was very wet, due to the cold water that had not yet frozen, and I lost my footing. This caused the ice to crack further. I frantically tried to get a hold of something, but my hands were gloved and he could not grab anything, and I fell. Down to into the ever-darkening unknown.


 

 

 

I fell through the open-air scream at the top of my lungs. All the while I was thinking: I’m going to die! I’m going to die! I told Blayde that everything was going to be fine. She is going to kill me. Oh, wait. She can’t! I’m going to die NOW! I was going to die, and there was nothing I could do about it. On the bright side, I would get see my father again, not that that is a good thing. My father was a ruthless man who enjoyed spreading evil through the land and causing death all across the planet. Another thing you could call him is a b*****d. I hate that man.

 

As I plunged through empty space, I looked up at a flouting white shape on a clear blue back round. Could that possibly be Icanté? I spun myself around to get a better view for where I was going.  Below me was a think forest, the tops of the trees blowing in a soft breeze. Under the large branches was a thick dirt path. Traveling down the path was a girl riding on a strange contraption. It was a thin metal maze with two wheels on both ends, and along the rims of the wheels was a thick layer of something that looked like leather.  The girl herself was beautiful. She had long flowing black hair, and her skin was pain as porcelain. She was thin, but not so thin that it looked like she didn’t eat at all. She did have more meat on her bones than Blayde, but she was also stronger. By the time that he realized why he could see her so well, he was about to land smack on top of her. I couldn’t help it. I didn’t want to land on her, but I guess that’s the way this world worked!

 

My body slammed into the girl, sending her flying off her machine, and me onto the ground beside her.

 

“Hey! What the hell is your problem!” She got up off the ground and looked at me. Through my fading vision, I could barely make-out the piercing gray eyes that seemed to stare into my soul, leaving me no refuge to hide, the slight blush that rose to her cheeks, and the perfectly bowed lips that looked as soft as rose petals. She was beautiful.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1.

 

I looked down at the boy lying on the ground in front of me. I did not recognize him. But, he did seem to have fallen from the sky, and he was wearing a puffy white shirt with a metal chest cap over top, and he was wearing a pair of long brown pants.  His dark hair hung down around his shoulders and his features were perfect. From what she could see, he seemed to be very muscular but he was also skinny. He was very pail, and his skin was as smooth as glass. Not one blemish protruded from his white silky skin.

 

Jack and Max rode up behind and stared down at the boy lying in front of me.

 

“Hey Dawn, who’s the idiot lying on the path,” asked Jack.

 

“Don’t know,” I said turning to him.

 

“ What’s he wearing,” asked Max.

 

“Again, I have no clue. He just fell out of the sky and knocked me off my bike.  I think he’s passed out. What should we do with him,” I said, turning to the boys’.

 

“I don’t know and I really don’t care. We should get going. Mom’s going to kill us if we’re late again,” said Jack.

“Well we can’t just leave him here! He’s unconscious!”

 

“So? Call the ER,” said Max. “Make them do something ‘bout it.”

 

“ Here, help me get him on the back of my bike.” I leaned down and grabbed underneath his armpits. Ugh. Gross. The boys made no move to help me. “Hey! Guys! A little help here?” I screamed at them.

 

“You’re really going to take him home? Dawn, really. What are you going to tell mom? ‘Hey mom, I brought this guy home who fell out of the sky and knocked me off my bike! Can I keep him?’ Do you really think she will let this random guy stay in out house?” Jack said. Whom I might add, is still on his bike.

 

“Max, come help me,” I said, still glaring at my brother.

 

“’Kay.” He said, getting off his bike.

 

“Ugh! Fine. But don’t come crying to me when mom won’t let you play doctor with him.” Said Jack.

 

“Jerk,” I said while he lumbered off his bike. As one, we all picked him up and set him down on the back of my bike. He was actually lighter than I though he would be, although I’m glad that I had their help. I got in the bike afterwards and listened to Jack complain all the way home.

 

.   .   .

 

            Mom was in the kitchen when we got home, cooking dinner. I could smell the aroma of rosemary wafting from the small room. I fallowed had put the boy in the small guest room for now. I looked toward Jack who was smirking as I went ventured into the kitchen to ask her if the boy could stay.

 

“Hey Mom?”

 

“Yes sweetheart?” She turned around and smiled at me, showing off her pearly white teeth. She was always smiling. Her brown hair was falling out if her ponytail, and her youthful face lit up her forest green eyes.

 

“There was this guy who was passed out on the path while we were riding home. I didn’t want to leave him there so I brought him hear. Can he stay for a while?”

 

“How old is he?”

 

“He looks about a year older than me.”

“Fine. But he is your responsibility. Make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble.”

 

“Thanks mom!” I skipped out of the kitchen and went over to jack, who was just standing there with his mouth hanging open. I stopped in front of him. “Careful. You don’t want bugs to fly in there!”

 

“You are such a brat,” he screamed after me as I closed my bedroom door in his face, while laughing.



© 2009 Amelia Black


Author's Note

Amelia Black
ex: ignore grammar problems, what do you think of the dialogue, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on September 29, 2009


Author

Amelia Black
Amelia Black

Hippie Land



About
I am a fun loving 13-year-old girl with extremely weird friends. I am totally obsessed with romance, so.... watch out all the single girls who like someone so much they cry themselves to sleep over th.. more..

Writing