Drowning

Drowning

A Story by Victoria
"

A girl drowning herself.

"

One two three.

She took a good look at her surroundings, committing every single detail to her infallible memory. Streams of her unwanted memories flooded into her head. Drawing on all her months of practice, she blocked all the unpleasant images in her mind and concentrated on the task at hand.

One two three four five.

She waded into the warm water. It was lukewarm, lapping at her bare ankles and slowly at her knees. Finally, the water level reached her neck. Her long brown hair danced in the slight calming breeze as her white nightgown floated lazily on the surface of the water like a white water lily. There was no going back now – she had come too far to turn back. With the last remains of her failing strength, she forced her legs to move till she was completely underwater. Then, she let the large grey rock tied to her leg drop.

One two three four five six seven.

Smiling inwardly, she slowly spiraled downwards, into the dark, foreboding depth of the mysterious turquoise ocean. In the water, she watched, mystified as the pale moonbeams from the full moon high above shone through the water, reflecting pure white light off the little dots of salt in the seawater. Colourful myriads of fishes danced around her pale form, playing with her, welcoming her. And she sunk deeper.

One two three four five six seven eight nine.

Her hair floated around her face, obscuring most things in front of her from her view. Her lungs were starting to ache – however, she ignored it. She had long since trained herself how to ignore any sort of pain inflicted on her – be it mentally or physically – her helpful family had made sure of that. The water was starting to get a little chilly. She didn’t mind, after all, she had grown up with cold her entire life – or rather, her meaningless, loveless existence. She closed her brown eyes peacefully for the first time. Her white gown fluttered about her ethereal form as the bubbles decorated her dark hair.

One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.

She was starting to see the light. Hope warming her heart, she walked towards it as she smiled the first smile she had smiled in her life. At least, when no one wanted her, the oceans welcomed her with open arms.

© 2008 Victoria


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very deep and great work of art. Its emotion is discrided and flooded throughout the entire peice. I especially loved the part where you discribed how she fell and sank deeper an deeper into the water. This is a great story and I love it very much!

Posted 16 Years Ago


I do like it, though I find anything to do with taking one's one life hard to read, but that is for personal and traumatic reasons. You write well, full of emotions. The counting was a nice touch also, especially to eleven since it takes approximately twelve minutes to drown...
Good work!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2008