Grave Wisdom

Grave Wisdom

A Story by James K. Blaylock

Grave Wisdom


As the floor crashed through, I really began to wonder about my life. I mean really wonder, like had I done all that I could, the best way that I could have... I don't think so.

The floor split in two life a sheet of paper being torn in two uneven pieces.

All that I could think about was the blessing of knowing that my wife and kids were at least safe, and in another state. Maybe that big fight we had last week was really meant to be, just maybe.

I watched with sadness flowing down my face, as the life we had built dropped downward. I saw everything smashing into the deep earth, it must have been miles below.

The only thing keeping me from sinking too was the closet door in one of our three bedrooms. Moments before the world was to go nuts, I was thinking of some of the better times; and looking at my now empty home.

Why had I not ever fully listened to them, they loved me and only wanted what was best. I on the other hand was a bull-headed man, never wanting to hear anything; besides the words coming out of my own mouth.

How could any of this matter now, I mean the whole house was being eaten back into the dirt; from once it all came (tree for the wood, you know).

I hung onto the door for as long as my aged muscles would allow, although I'd like to tell you that I was a tough guy with a build like a bodybuilder. Truth be told I was a bit gooey all over, even in the brain I guess.

When my family found out that I had this home-of-our-dreams thrown together on this land, they really more than flipped out.

I know, I know they told me about seeing dark figures roaming the hallways at night, and strange noises at all hours. I just told them "You all wanted this place so badly that you could taste it, didn't you?". "Well hell, you got what you wanted... live with it!".

I of course, I didn't believe in anything other that the run of the mill type of things, you know touch it, feel it, taste it types of things... "Everything else was bull-spit!".

Those words have such a sour taste now, and those words are surely going to be the death of me.

I feel something looking at me, in the middle of all of the chaos I can feel the hair on the back of my neck standing upright! What could it be that have brought on this insane feeling within me!

As I turn my face away from that eating abyss so far below, I look up into the empty closet.

My heart sinks-within-my-rib-cage at the sight! It has blood-red eyes and it had claws... terrible claws, the body is nothing but a dirty black mass of horror.

The last thing I could think of as this beastly figure cuts off my fingers was ...why did I ever buy a known graveyard to set up my homestead!

The dead will have their revenge, and I shall pay this price of human ego forever.

8-10-07
 

© 2008 James K. Blaylock


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Man, I know just how you feel. I never bought a house that had been built over an Indian graveyard or anything outre' like that, but I did get a condo once that had a crack in the foundation.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

James K. Blaylock
James K. Blaylock

Tyler, TX



About
Hi, I'm James K. Blaylock and I'm a poet/writer. I'm 39, and I live in Texas. I was born and raised here. I have been writing now for 13 years and I've been blessed to be published a number of times. .. more..

Writing