Blog 6- Does Social Media Make Us Less Social?

Blog 6- Does Social Media Make Us Less Social?

A Story by SarahD

   Social media changes the way we interact with one another. Whenever I go to lunch or dinner with my roommates they are always on their phones. My parents always told me, "no phones at the dinner table". I got very used to putting my phone away and being present with the people I was with. When I first started going out with friends, I was really shocked that they were always on their phones. I would sit there uncomfortably and not know what to do. As time went on I started taking my phone out as well to avoid the situation where I just sit there and watched every one else on their phones.
    Social media is a medium used to portray the way people want other people to view them. Most "Instagram" pictures are uploaded after many practice pictures. "Facebook" posts are edited to say exactly what the user wants it to say. "Twitter" posts are limited and allow people to only see a sentence of what the person is feeling. My point is, that even on social media, people might not share their truest selves. We focus more on social media which isn't always true and we focus less on the people in front of us. Social media does make us less social. One way that some of my friends and I overcome this is by putting all of our phones in the middle of the table until the end of our meal. I never have a problem putting my phone away because I try to hold myself to my belief of living in the moment. It's the small things and even just being present with the people around you is very important.

© 2016 SarahD


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on February 7, 2016
Last Updated on February 7, 2016

Author

SarahD
SarahD

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have always loved to read and write. I like to write stories that take people out of their own world and make them fall in love with fictional characters. I enjoy Raising Canes and I adore my dog, A.. more..

Writing