Blog 2- "The Curious Researcher"

Blog 2- "The Curious Researcher"

A Story by SarahD

   Most students cringe when they learn that they must write an essay in "formal" tone. What that usually means in a strict format of how to write an essay that involves using "big words" and to be professional. It's usually writing that you would never be used in every day conversation. Many people sometimes connect "formal writing" to "proper" writing and language but who decides what "proper" writing and language is? Proper language was usually determined by men who had multiple works published. These men were considered to be some of the smartest people of the time. 
   It can be argued that people need to have rules surrounding writing. Without rules anything goes. Writers could write without using proper grammar or correct punctuation and no one would say is that writing is well-written or not. If there weren't any rules people wouldn't be able to judge whether the writing is good or bad, formal or informal. Even though some rules are more strict than others, the rules constitute the definitions of what makes good writing. Some could also argue that the rules of writing constrain and constrict creativity and learning about new ways of writing. I don't agree with that. I think that writer's need to be able to compare their work with good work and bad work. Rules are important to abide by so you know when to break them. 

© 2016 SarahD


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on January 27, 2016
Last Updated on March 13, 2016

Author

SarahD
SarahD

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have always loved to read and write. I like to write stories that take people out of their own world and make them fall in love with fictional characters. I enjoy Raising Canes and I adore my dog, A.. more..

Writing