2. Mission Accomplished?

2. Mission Accomplished?

A Chapter by - Dreamer *
"

Long chapter, I know. I had time. Enjoy. ^-^ (Sorry for skipping around with the scenes. I really didn't want to focus this chapter on her job.)

"

I had no intent in controlling myself, but I knew I had to. I couldn’t just make a scene in front of the whole class. Sure, I wanted to move up from my status as nobody, but I didn’t want to be known as the girl who made a big scene about her financial problems. Luckily, I was saved. Just as I thought I was about to explode, Mrs. Renn came in. Seth looked at me once before getting up and talking to our teacher. I took a deep breath and opened my books.

 
            Alex, calm down, I thought to myself. He’s new, and if Mary believes you can do this, then of course you can. He’s just another guy who thinks he’s bigger than life. I’ve dealt with them before. Why should this guy be any different?
 
            Just as Seth came back to our table, Mrs. Renn started giving us our instructions for the class.
 
            “Everyone,” she said loudly. “Look at the person beside you, and say ‘hi.’ They will be your partners for any project for the rest of the year unless I give you permission to choose your own partners. So, please, try to get along.”
 
            Hearing this, my whole world just came crashing down on me. Now, not only do I have to help out this guy, but I’d also have to work with him. As everyone did as they were told, I sat, wide-eyed, always facing front, even when Seth turned to say hi.
 
            “Alright, listen up,” Mrs. Renn instructed, stopping our class from being swept up into uncontrollable chatter. “Today, your job as partners will be to write a short, one page paper on your thoughts about Shakespeare’s writing. I will give you this class to work on it, and if you finish early, then you may take the time to work on any extra homework that you have.”
 
            I let out a soft sigh, not wanting anyone to hear. I turned to look at my new partner. He was looking at me, clearly confused about my almost losing self-control. I was about to tell him that we should get started on the assignment, but he spoke first. “Mary told me about you,” he said casually. “You’re the one that works, right?”
 
            Just when I was about to forgive you from your previous comment, you had to go and bring it up again, I thought to myself. “You know, just because I work, doesn’t mean I’m poor,” I told him.
 
            He grinned. “Well, you’re certainly not rich.”
 
            This made me mad. Angry. Furious. But I must not lose control. I’ll just have to let it slip, and try to make him focus on the assignment. I couldn’t hurt this guy. I was supposed to be helping him. Why did I agree to this?
 
            “Alright,” I said, trying to make my voice sound calm, which wasn’t working very well. “Let’s just focus on the assignment because I don’t plan on failing this class anytime soon.”
 
            “Just one question,” he said. “Why are you at a private school if you’re poor?”
 
            “Okay, that’s it,” I whispered, not wanting anyone to hear. “Ask me that again when you’ve got a word other than ‘poor’ or whenever you decide to stop acting like a jerk. Either one is fine, but I’d prefer the second one.”
 
            He looked at me, eyebrows raised, mouth curved into a smile. He still looked amused by everything that was going on. “Fine,” he said. “Let’s work. I’ll write it.”
 
 He took out a piece of paper and started writing, without turning to look at me, or even asking me for some input. I waited a few minutes since I thought he would end up asking for my help anyways, but not once in twenty minutes did he ask me to help. I took a look at the sheet of paper and he was already done three quarters of the page. I was amazed. I wasn’t expecting much from Seth Sanders. He does seem like the typical, self-centered, popular, good-looking, rich guy, so of course I didn’t expect much. But this… was strange.
 
            After he noticed that I was trying so desperately tying to sneak a peek at his work, he asked me if I had anything to add and then handed me the paper. He had already filled the page and even half of the next page. It seemed like he’s been working on this paper for hours instead of minutes. It had everything from Shakespeare’s style of writing to examples and finally, his opinion. I was in awe. I had never seen anyone express their opinion about an author this strongly.
 
            “So, do you have anything to add?” Seth asked, with a little smirk on his face. He read my mind. Shoot.
 
            “Uh… no,” I hesitated. Think, Alex, think! You know he’s going to hold this over on you.  “I, uh, think you got it all.” Shoot.
 
            “Alright, then,” he began, still smirking. “Shall we hand it in?”
 
            “Fine.”
 
            I hate him. I hate his stupid, little smirk. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. This was not healthy. I know it’s not healthy, but I just couldn’t help it. He was such an easy guy to hate. He’s got everything. But I knew I couldn’t keep all this hate inside of me. But I also had no choice. I was stuck with him. I’ll have to struggle through this, but if I do change him, then it’ll be all worth it. Hopefully.
 
            The rest of the class, I was able to endure. We sat in silence since we were already done our partner work. There was no reason for me to talk to him for the rest of the day. Thank goodness.
 
***
 
            “Mary,” I called to my best friend standing by her locker. “I. can’t. take. this. anymore.” She looked at me like I was going crazy, which, of course, was exactly right.
 
            “Mary, the guy’s a stupid, conceited jerk,” I explained to her. “He called me poor right in front of my face… many times, might I add.”
 
            “And, I warned you about that, didn’t I?”
 
            “Yes, but-”
 
            “Alex,” she interrupted. “Just help him. Please. I know it’s hard, but I know you can do it.”
 
            “Fine,” I sighed, giving up for the second time. “I’ll try, but if he calls me poor one more time…”
 
            “Thanks, Alex. Oh, and do you want a ride to work? I’m going straight home today anyways,” she offered.
 
            I accepted her offer and sighed. Work. Oh, joy.
 
***
 
            The next day wasn’t going any better. It was raining. Luckily, Mary offered me a ride again so I didn’t have to walk. When we got to school, I sighed. Today was no different than yesterday… except for the fact that everything smells wet. I’d have to go through another boring, nothing-out-of-the-ordinary day. Progressing though the day was just another boring routine. Science was boring. Math was boring. Social Studies was boring. Gym was boring… and painful. I got hit in the head twice by a basketball. Oh, what fun Gym class was.
 
            Finally, it was English class yet again. I had spent half the night hoping and wishing that today would not be the same as yesterday. I had not been making any progress on my mission to change Seth. I didn’t see him at all today, and I was starting to get nervous. After yesterday, I didn’t know what he was going to say. All I know is, if I’m going to help him, I can’t just have him ignore me.
 
            I walked to my former favourite class, and stepped in. I looked at my table and found no one there. Huh. Maybe today would be a good day after all. I walked to my seat, smiling.
            I sat down and waited patiently for class to begin. But just when I thought I would finally be able to enjoy a class, Seth walks in with his usual swarm of girls. Shoot. I thought I would finally be able to relax.
 
            Everyone took their seats and class started. I risked one look at Seth only to find him looking at me, no smile, grin or smirk in sight. I looked away quickly and felt my face heat up. I looked back down at my books and tried to focus on the lesson when I saw Seth slide a piece of paper to me. A note. Great. He was a note passer. I took a look at he note.
 
So you think I’m a stupid, conceited jerk.
 
            I looked up at him and saw him looking at me. I didn’t want to get in trouble, but I also wanted to clear things up. I wrote back.
 
You heard me talking to Mary? Look, I’m sorry,
but you just made me so mad yesterday.
 
            I watched him read the note. I didn’t want him to think I hated him, which, of course, was true.
 
You’re saying sorry? I’m the one who should be
doing that. I gave you a hard time, didn’t I? I tend
to do that a lot, so I’m sorry.
 
            I sighed. I guess I could forgive him. His apology seemed sincere enough.
 
Fine. Apology accepted. Sorry, I shouldn’t have
expected that much from you anyways. :)
 
            I looked up at him and smiled as he read the note. He looked at me with an eyebrow raised.
 
Ouch. An insult? But I must applaud you.
You’ve managed to put an apology and
an insult in the same sentence.
 
            I was trying hard not to start giggling now, so I wrote another note.
 
Wow. You do have a brain inside that pretty
head of yours.
 
Pretty? So, you think I’m good-looking?
 
            I read the note and I felt my blush creeping up my face. I didn’t know what to say or how to respond. I dug deep in my head for something to write.
Um… you’re okay. But don’t go getting
an even bigger head.
 
            Saved. I was glad I was a fast thinker.
 
Are you implying I have a big head?!
 
Yes.
 
Okay. I insulted you, you insulted me twice.
Are we even now?
 
            I pretended to ponder that thought and started writing again.
 
No.
 
Are we okay, though?
 
I’ll think about it.
 
            I grinned at him, and he laughed silently. I noticed that Mrs. Renn had already put up notes for us to copy. I wrote a quick note to Seth.
 
Now, shut up and stop passing notes.
We have other notes to write.
(Look up there.)
 
            I pointed to the board and he followed my finger. When he saw the amount of notes written on the board, he mouthed a few colourful words, folded our note paper and tucked it into his binder. He seemed to think twice about this action and took out the paper and started writing again. A few seconds later, he passed it to me.
 
I’ll write the notes down, and you can
borrow mine. I don’t think you’d be able to
finish them with your slow, turtle-speed.
 
:) 
            I made a face at him and wrote a note.
 
We’re far from even.
 
            He smirked and began to write down the notes from the board. I had a feeling I was going to complete my mission soon enough.
 


© 2009 - Dreamer *


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Gosh I love this!

The two of them, Seth and Alex, make me laugh. Really, their conversations are so realistic as well as their actions. :]

Great job! I'm going to read some more...right now!

Always,
-Aurelia Mirella

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 6, 2009
Last Updated on January 7, 2009


Author

- Dreamer *
- Dreamer *

About
- 3sha Marie * Hey, I�m Trisha. I was born in the Philippines, but I am currently living in Canada. I love writing, but I absolutely adore music. I find writing to be relaxing, though som.. more..

Writing