Republika Unit Spotlight: 5th Volstra Fusiliers

Republika Unit Spotlight: 5th Volstra Fusiliers

A Story by Maksim T. Siggurd
"

Focal unit of the Republika novel in which the main character, PFC Ethan Quinn, serves. Part of the United Halcron Republic Armed Forces

"
Faction: United Halcron Republic
Unit Designation: Light Infantry
Homeworld: Volstra, Halcron System

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Volstran Fusiliers were formed hundreds of years ago by the Volstran government with the intention of creating a large infantry force to invade and repel throughout the sector. The Fusiliers name was attached to all light infantry divisions as an homage to the fighting style of Fusillade, which was prevalent in the early formation of the Republic.

Through the combining of the 9th Volunteer Corps and the 17th Volstra Guard, the 5th Volstra Fusiliers was commissioned to be a powerhouse infantry unit for the Volstran armed forces. The 5th Volstra Fusiliers is steep in tradition which is noticeable in both their uniform and ship. After proving themselves as a formidable force in the Republic Armed Forces through many engagements and deployments, the Republic High Command commissioned the construction of the UNR Altamish, a "Specter" class warship, to be a dedicated vessel for the transport and supply ship of the division. The UNR Altamish is cherished by the Fusiliers assigned to it, as it is the closest thing to home when deployed to the far reaches of the sector. The men and women declined the offer of Republic-provided ship security/marine teams, deciding instead to charge themselves with the intership security and defense; this was a display of possessiveness over their vessel.

The standard dress in peacetime for a Fusilier of this unit was standard issue "Class-A" tan pants which displayed a light blue stripe the length of the outside legs of the pant; a brilliant white belt with an obsidian buckle was worn around the waist. The soldier also wore a "Class-A" long-sleeve tan uniform shirt with light blue epaulettes and a light blue tie. The dress boot was an obsidian black color that was required to be shined to near-mirror like reflection. Over his shirt, he wore a light blue waistcoat that was the main identifier of the Fusilier division. Resting on top of the right breast pocket of his waistcoat was a silver nameplate that displayed his name and rank. Across the coat, above the left breast pocket, his ribbons and medals were displayed like badges of honor. The "Class-A" head-wear for the Fusilier was the Shako; it was also a brilliant white with a two-inch thick, light blue band running the circumference of the hat. In the center of his shako was a silver hat badge, the symbol of his unit, as well as a light blue feather hackle off the top. The hat and uniform, in this era, was clearly for show and was considered the "Class A" uniform for every Fusilier.

The standard dress for the Fusilier while on deployment, and not in the FH42 Combat Armor, was tan "Class-B" BDU style pants. These pants were outfitted with cargo pockets and were bloused into obsidian black, shin-high boots. The issued belt was a tan belt with a polymer buckle. The uniform shirt was a tan "Class-B" long-sleeve shirt which was worn with the sleeves rolled up to the mid-bicep. The standard head-wear for this uniform was a light blue beret and when not worn, was rolled up and worn under the left epaulette.

The combat uniform of the Fusilier was the standard Republic FH42 Combat Suit. The FH42 armor was the regulation gray color that the Republic issued, but featured light blue trim around the pauldrons and the Coat of Arms of the Fusilier Division in light blue on the breastplate of their armor. The unit was issued the Volstran-made "PCH" helmet along with the Volstran respirator/re-breather face-mask device that is issued to their infantry units.

The weapon of the Volstran Fusilier was the R556 "Harbinger" Assault Rifle. Each soldier was issued twelve magazines for their rifle and iron sights. The individual soldier could use their own money to purchase weapon sights and accessories, which usually included the Volstran "Advanced Combat Weaponsight".

The "Fighting Fifth" gained reputation during the events of the Terian Campaigns, in which their service and loyalty to the Republic allowed for a victory in numerous engagements. Despite being considered a "victory" for the Republic, the Terian Campaigns proved to be a harsh and violent campaign which lead to hundreds of thousands of casualties to both sides. The 5th Volstra Fusiliers served the Republic valiantly over the course of the campaigns and were commissioned as a Historic Unit in the Annals of the Republic. The 5th Day of the 5th Month is dedicated to the heroic actions of the 5th Fusiliers in remembrance of the sacrifices they made throughout the Terian Campaigns and beyond.

The most notable action of this division, occurred during the Battle of Teria. During the final assault on the capital city, the Republic became entrenched in a battle to gain access to the city. For days, the forces battled back and forth, inflicting heavy casualties to both sides by way of artillery and gunfire.

Master Sergeant Dominic L. Quinn, father to PFC Ethan Quinn, led a small detachment in a flanking maneuver on the bunker which has been repulsing Republic attacks and guarding the main land-bridge. After leading his team to the successful overtaking of the bunker, MSGT Quinn was directing Paladin tanks into position to aid in finishing off the assault toward the city perimeter. During the course of this, a Confederate artillery round struck a Paladin tank that was situated next to MSGT Quinn. The explosion resulted in MSGT Quinn losing both of his legs.

Despite his serious and grave injuries, MSGT Quinn pulled himself to the safety of a nearby trench where he was CASEVAC'd out of the battle. MSGT Quinn was awarded the Purple Heart Medal, as well as the Medal of Valor for his actions in helping the Republic Forces gain access to the land-bridge and overtake the city. It was also noted that the bunker he overtook was responsible for inflicting an estimated 2,100 casualties to Republic Forces.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

5th Volstra Fusilier Division
Strength: 10,250
Vessel: UNR Altamish
Current Status: Deployed, J'kar System
Current Mission: Attached to the 7th Republic Vanguard under General Benton G. Hood, tasked with the invasion of the J'kar System
Current Commander: Major General Jakob T. Fierside
Second in Command: Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Randall

© 2011 Maksim T. Siggurd


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

422 Views
1 Review
Added on July 24, 2011
Last Updated on July 24, 2011

Author

Maksim T. Siggurd
Maksim T. Siggurd

The Frigid Tundra, ND



About
I am a Military/Science Fiction writer who has spent years working on designing a universe in which to base a series of novels off of. I have been part of project teams who have been tasked with desig.. more..

Writing