THE MAGIC OF A SWING

THE MAGIC OF A SWING

A Story by traveling mind

I don't know what it is exactly about a swing and spring and how they go hand in hand, but they do. I took my son to the park today, it's a sunday afternoon and a rare sixty five in January, too irresistable to pass up. He really doesn't like to swing high unless I'm with him. Now I know at a technical age eight, but he really isnt; he is what the dr's call autisim spectrum, I call it oh my goodness what a tangle weave. 

 

I know most would say he's getting too big to ride with me, but I still love the feeling when it's just him and I and we are one at that time.

 

We get a break from reality, no defiancy, no melt downs, no frustrations from both of us, we're both eight for that moment.Todays swing was really low to the ground, plus my sons weight and mine was no help. So I rested my backside on the seat as I stood, my son's leaning against me, I push back and lift my legs up to scoop him up in a L type position. We both soared and laughed, and I felt like we were in slow motion, from being up high we saw a bird fly from branch to branch, we pretended we were at the beach and can smell the ocean and the clouds were waves crashing at our feet. It was exhausting pushing and swinging our weights, but I didnt care, it's the only time we get to laugh, and share with not  boundaries, nothing to stop us kids from being one. It was such ans awsome day.

 

I don't get many days likes this, most times he wants me to play with him but just to watch. THe magic of the swing was perfect for a day like today. He went to sleep tonight exhausted for a change, being up at five played a part too, but he fell asleep with elephant cuddled tight under one arm, and mumbing about his magic swing ride and the wind in our faces. He finally closed his eyes, smiling, it was something I wished to bottle and open later on when things get hectic again, but for now I think I will just smile and hold onto the magical day we shared together.

© 2012 traveling mind


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautifully well written! I felt like I was right there with both of you swinging high and feeling the wind on my face too. Not only do you have a memory for you to hold on to but also you have given us one as well. Thank you. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


What a magical write. I loved the personal story of one special moment in time between mother and child. Lovely writing. I enjoyed it immensely.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2011
Last Updated on September 21, 2012

Author

traveling mind
traveling mind

SC



About
forty ish, an austistic child, fighter of life through n through if i can get up feel the sun, the beauty in my garden my sons sticky smile, lifes crap can wait more..

Writing