The Sound that Rang Through

The Sound that Rang Through

A Story by Promises Broken & Backs Turned

I was awoken to a dulled clanging from downstairs. At first, I dismissed it as our cat, Snoopy (and yes, named for irony). But when I heard him purring at the foot of my bed, I thrust the covers off my body, pushing my self so my torso was upright.

I heard footsteps coming from the direction of my parents bedroom. My father whizzed past my doorway. He must have heard the noise as well. As he realized that Ma was following him, he turned, whispering just loud enough for me to hear. "Honey, stay in bed, I'll be right back." But my mother, as always, in her stubborness continued down the hallway.

I swung my body out of bed, feeling the carpet beneath my bare feet. As I tiptoed to the hall. I continued to the top of the stairs.

"Stop!" I heard my father's stern voice. Then came an unfamiliar male voice that boomed throughout the whole home.

"Make me," I could almost hear the sly smile in his voice as he challenged Pa.

"Get away, or I'll call the police!"

I peaked downstairs, my father's hands just brushing over the phone on the wall. The strange man's face filled with humor. "You call and I'll shoot!" The gun was now aimed at my mother, paralyzed with fear. My father picked up the phone, testing the boundries.

Was this guy for real?

I heard the click as he readied to take fire. Pa put the phone down, and for the first time ever, I think I saw a flicker of fear with a mix of annoyance, shadow his face.

"Good," said the mystery man. As he aimed the gun toward the window. The shot fired, destroying the glass. Shards flew all over.

And as he walked away, a bag in hand, all I could hear was the glass shattering.

© 2009 Promises Broken & Backs Turned


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on January 28, 2009

Author

Promises Broken & Backs Turned
Promises Broken & Backs Turned

Why should I tell you?, NJ



About
Hmm...about me, eh? Well, I love writing. Although I have a tendancy to get distracted. I mean, I guess everybody does with something. Actually, I'm not sure if I like reading or writing better. Or mu.. more..

Writing