Sermon to Society

Sermon to Society

A Story by ruth
"

I wrote this for my AP Language arts class (11th grade) and my teacher encouraged me to publish it.

"

Is it with the utmost truth that time doesn't slow or stop for anyone? Why is it that we continue to be so far behind in basic equal rights with the times moving forward? In a world where women are often stereotyped as ‘the lesser man’, and those who identify differently in sexuality or religion are seen as deviants from what's considered right…Why can't the human race accept change and evolve?
Hatred is created through generations with teachings and spread beliefs, it isn't just something that comes to us like common sense. It isn't that they are the problem, it's you. You are what is needed within mankind to jumpstart the change that could put forth the world to its time. The duality of man; being and thought, body and mind, good and evil, matter and spirit… The fact that mankind can be so far behind in the evolution of perspective is beyond me. Mankind should be able to build up the foundation of acceptance without the looming consequences of collapse due to its stubborn inability to accept change and grow.
Our existence itself is a constant uphill climb, but we like Sysiphus continue to fail and return to the very start. We continue to fail at the very stubbornness and ignorance that the way of life is changing… As humans, we are caught in the gravity of opinion. Once we somehow manage to fall out of that magnetic force, we have only ourselves and the after-effects to deal with said fallout of opinions. Humanity should have the ability to change and adapt to new ways of thinking because our very existence is the definition of evolution.
The fear of saying the name of God was instilled in you, that is if you believe in one. Just like hate, it’s hard to unlearn that fear or rule following that one sticks to. To me, I don’t truly believe in a higher power. I know it’s perfectly okay to change the way I see things, do you? I give everything a chance for the sole purpose of knowing it is new and different and I have never experienced it before. After all, it's is everyones first time living.
From very young we learn not to judge a book by its cover, something we understood even as children. So, why is it that once we reach the age of understanding it is now subject to change?
I wonder if I’m supposed to apologize. This is just my opinion after all, so am I?

© 2024 ruth


Author's Note

ruth
How does this make you feel?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on August 31, 2024
Last Updated on August 31, 2024
Tags: Society, Change, Sexuality, Acceptance

Author

ruth
ruth

OH



About
i have words living inside me more..

Writing