Stolen Light

Stolen Light

A Story by Jose III
"

Karen Robinson struggles with the idea of life after her daughter is killed in a car accident.

"

Karen Robinson closed her eyes, her hands gripping the wooden table.  She took a deep breath.  “It’ll get better over time.” The woman repeated the words said to her by so many people.  The accident had only happened six months ago.

 

Annie was seven and a half years old.  She always reminded people about the half, telling people she might as well be eight.  Annie had a great smile. The girl brought happiness to everyone she met.  She was my light, Karen thought.  When my daughter died, everything went dark.

 

Karen felt guilty.  Guilt tore through her the way a worm buries itself through an apple, absorbing all of the substance until only a hollow core remained. 

 

“Mom, can we get McDonald’s?” Annie asked from the back seat of the car.

 

 “We’re having spaghetti.” Her mom replied.  “I already told you that.”  The girl nodded and looked out the window.  She exhaled on the glass and covered it with steam, drawing tiny faces and shapes.

 

Karen’s phone buzzed.  She picked it up from the coffee holder.  It was work. It was always work.  Karen was a successful divorce lawyer.  She began to reply to the message, only taking her eyes off the road for a moment.

 

Everything happened so quickly after that.  Karen did not even notice that she had driven through a red light.  She did not notice the truck heading towards their little silver car.  She heard brakes screech.  Annie screamed as the glass shattered.  Everything faded to black.

 

She wished she was unable to hear what happened next, but each sound burned inside her head.  The blaring of an ambulance siren.  Doctors talking in hushed tones.  The unsteady beeping of the monitor.

 

When Karen finally opened her eyes, her husband and sister were standing by the bed.  Their faces were tired and filled with sadness.

 

“Where’s Annie?” She asked them.  They said nothing.  “Where’s my daughter?” The panic was rising to the surface.

 

“She died in the crash.” Kendra, her sister said quietly.  “Karen, I’m so sorry.”

 

Annie was gone.  Everyone asked her if they could do something to help.  No one could help her.  Karen Robinson needed her daughter back.  Nobody could bring her back to her.  She was certain about one thing.  The empty void in her heart would not get better over time.

 

© 2011 Jose III


Author's Note

Jose III
Submission for the Saddest Writing Contest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on April 23, 2011
Last Updated on April 23, 2011

Author

Jose III
Jose III

Charlotte, NC



About
My name is Jose. I'm a student at an arts high school, majoring in theater. My favorite animal is the Jellyfish. I enjoy writing short stories. more..

Writing