Kevin Westgarth: Losing a Giant

Kevin Westgarth: Losing a Giant

A Story by Guy RC
"

Whilst the roster continues to grow, where does Kevin Westgarth, an ex-Stanley Cup winner, fit into the team?

"
The second his blades touched the ice, the Odyssey Arena lit up in anticipation - we knew it was coming. The night was dedicated to 15 year old Tom Simpson, a sufferer of a rare blood disorder - the steaks were high. As the Belfast Giants steamed ahead against the Cardiff Devils with a 5:2 lead, Westgarth was purposely tripped with a high stick. Almost instantly he rose to his feet, prepared the elbow grease and lay into his first victim. Another Devil's player rushed into help only to be pushed back. Then came a third! This time, however, Westgarth got what he wanted: Trevor Hendrikx, the third challenger, fell to the floor after a shot from the Giant before being rifled with 3 straight punches to the head/upper body.
That's when it ended.
An ex-Stanley Cup winner with the LA Kings, an enforcer by both birth and nature and fan favourite recently voted by fans as the player they'd most like to see stay could tell many a story. Enough has been said and written about this genuine giant as of late. Sadly, the Giant's Kevin Westgarth has recently noticed a turn in his luck.
It was against the Coventry Blaze that the penny well and truly dropped. As Steve Thornton's side battled it out in the playoff semi-final in Nottingham, one player was left sat on the bench: Westgarth. Despite his obvious want to get out on the ice - standing directly in front of the coach in a sign of protest - Thornton kept him off causing a wave of controversy. After a fierce battle, the Giants came away with a loss - and Westgarth came away with 0 minutes ice time.
Since that game the numer 15 has remained mostly quiet about where he would like to take his career. Speaking to Sportsnet.ca in June 2015, the enforcer only hinted between a move away from Northern Ireland as well as possible retirement from the sport altogether. With the addition of the colossal Matt Nickerson to the 2015-16 roster, it seems a replacement may have already been found and the vacany filled. Nickerson signed for the Giants during the Summer from the Fife Flyers bringing with him a history of record-high penalty minutes as well as a 6'4" temple ensuring the side a solid line-up of defencemen.
But what's next for the fan favourite? Where can a player who once doned the jerseys of the likes of the Calgary Flames and the Carolina Hurricanes expect to find himself in the coming season? It's well known that EIHL players have always had a tendency to look towards Europe - Germany's DEL being a common alternative. What the giant may find problematic, however, is the style of play on offer. The role of enforcer exists only within the UK due to the imports who bring the mentality with them. Whilst loved by fans on the British isles, it has proved less popular in other parts of Europe where the focus is more on the skill aspect of the game as opposed to the fisticuffs.
There's no telling what might happen. Looking back at other great enforcers - Chris Nilan being an example used in the recent documentary "The Last Gladiators" - battles with depression have gone hand in hand with those in his boots. Once the player the fans and coach once looked to in times of need - the warrior of the bench - the game is up when they are no longer needed. But he may be in luck. As teams reshuffle, chances arise within the EIHL. As some look to bulk up their squads, the Manchester Storm look to create their first roster since 2002 - possible spoiler?
Wherever Kevin Westgarth lands the history and name will go with it. And like it did at the Odyssey Arena that evening, the crowd will go wild when he arrives.

© 2015 Guy RC


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on July 1, 2015
Last Updated on July 1, 2015
Tags: Belfast Giants, Kevin Westgarth, NHL, EIHL

Author

Guy RC
Guy RC

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom



Writing