What did we do

What did we do

A Poem by john Robinson
"

A question of the times.

"

Why is being black so bad? What did we do? Who did we do it to? We fought all your wars with you and were not recognized. We assisted in the building of the greatest country in the world. Yet you enslaved us. You refused us our constitutional rights. You treated us like trash. You have lynched us, shot us, imprisoned us. What did we do? We supported this country, fought for this country, help build this country. Why do you want us dead?

© 2020 john Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Makes me want to cry that anyone should have to ask that question. Black is beautiful. I look at my grandson Jahkai, eight months old in the UK and know I am blessed. I hope he never feels like that.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


John, your words are real and heartbreaking to me. Martin Luther King Jr gave his "I have a dream," speech 57 years ago, and look where we are today in 2020. He would be so ashamed if he was still here! I don't know why the world is like it is. We are all people in this world with feelings, hopes, and dreams. Nobody is better than anyone! It is really just so sad to me that after all these years, horrible things are still happening. It's not up to us what color we are born with, but it is up to us to to teach our children to love everyone and treat people with respect and equals. I hope one day, that it will happen!

Posted 4 Years Ago


john Robinson

4 Years Ago

That was beautiful and true. Thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 31, 2020
Last Updated on May 31, 2020
Tags: black lives matter

Author

john Robinson
john Robinson

Jamaica, NY



About
I like being me,but I despise my life. It's the old saying,"if it weren't for bad luck,I would have no luck at all". Then again I did spend twenty one years in Germany after I left the army. I did tou.. more..

Writing