Prelude Second Chances

Prelude Second Chances

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

It was too soon, far too soon for me to be hearing what I was hearing. How could Julie tell me this? I can barely believe that she's leaving me, but this . . . the girl is just a child! And she wants me to marry her and let her take care of our children?!

It's the cancer talking. It has to be. How can she expect me to tell her what she wants to hear? How can I just forget her and move on in my life? She's not even gone yet. The boys are enough. They have to be enough. I don't want to do this. I don't even want to think about what it will be like when she is gone. If I do the loneliness will destroy me.


But she has that look in her eyes. I know that look. I know the determined tilt of her chin. She may be losing her battle with this cancer, but somehow I think it's the only one she will ever lose. I know I'm fighting a loosing battle in this. What harm could it do to tell her this white lie? But deep down I know that if I say it she will hold me to it even in death.


Looking out the window, anywhere but into those flashing green eyes, I nod my consent. In that moment I realize she has won. I've always kept my promises and this one will be no different. My only hope of reprieve is that the girl will turn me down. I know she fears me, fears my size and the hardness of the life I live. Surely she will refuse.


I start to smile.


“No, don't smile. She won't turn you down because you will court her. You will show her the same gentle and kind behavior that you won me with. She's young, but she loves the boys and you know that.”


Dropping my head in defeat I left the room just as the girl she was talking about arrived. I can't even look at her, much less speak to her so I hurry by and hope she doesn't see me.



© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
In starting back on this story I realized what I had posted as the Prelude was actually part of Chapter One. This is the actual Prelude. Any thoughts or questions are welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good and very interesting I would love to read more. Great write!!

Voice

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting. Definitely captured my attention and makes me want to find out what the whole story is. Great opening.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A heart breaking story.
Excellent writing.
The impact for the first words gets
the readers attention and the writer
draws you in, into the rain and cold and
the terrible lonleyness of the people and
the scene.
Beautiful , beautiful writing .
----- Eagle Cruagh

Posted 14 Years Ago


This captures the readers attention with such fine detail.
Well written!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Absolutely awesome prelude here. You show us a family that is right at the precipice of a life shattering event. We have so many questions. What happened to the wife and mother. We wonder, like the father, how will he manage ... we want to turn the page quickly to find answers.

Very well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A beautiful and sad opening to a story. The description and your detail made the scene come alive. You are a outstanding writer. Please sent me read request. I would be honor to read your stories. A excellent beginning.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2010
Last Updated on September 18, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..