A Day in the Life . . .

A Day in the Life . . .

A Story by Norma M Sutton




Sometimes those routine farm jobs run into complications unexpected.  Today was one of those days.

It was a pretty day, so pretty that I decided Emma, my little mare, would enjoy more if I put her out in the main pasture.  She's been in the barn paddock all winter and has been feeling frisky, bucking and jumping and running at the fence only to stop at the last moment, so I felt like she would benefit from a large area she could buck and gallop in.  First however, I needed to check the pasture lines to fix the spot where she crawled through last fall when she went to visit my brother's horses on the other side of the hill.

After reattaching the high tensile wire she had pushed off the post, it was a wire on his side of the pasture, I went to the barn, put a halter on her and led her to the pasture.  Long story short, after I got her there I noticed the high tensile wires along the top line needed tightening . . . mainly because when she stuck her head over to get to that "greener" grass on the other side, she was able to push it down below chest lever.  Normally the top line is about 5 feet high.

So back to the house to fetch the fence strainer handle.  Easy job, 10 minutes tops including the walking there and back. . . right?  WRONG!  As I was tightening the last strand I hear a loud POP and the whole fence behind me flopped to the ground.  Yep, that post that she was standing at earlier was now laying flat on the ground.  No problem right? . . . again . . . WRONG!  The posts on that top line are 20 to 25 feet apart so I had between 40 and 50 feet of wire on the ground and a horse intent on visiting the "neighbors" once again.  Prop the post up and stand against it, then send a text message to my brother who works from 4am until noon or so.  Luckily he was home, unluckily he had his cell off and was asleep . . . . amazing how much you work the leg muscles just holding up a fence post attached to 5 strands of wire . . . for 2 hours or so . . . finally he woke up and found my message, then he had to find me . . . another 30 minutes.  Meanwhile I'd called work to let them know I wouldn't be there today . . . did I mention I didn't have a halter or a lead at the pasture? 

Now the fence has 3 new t-posts in that area, but I noticed another post that is leaning so I need to put in several more near it.  Looks like I will be putting 3 t-posts between each of the wooden posts on that line before I add additional strands of wire . . .ah well so goes the day.  With any luck I WILL make it in to work TOMORROW!

On the upside Emma did have her day in the sun and I was able to ride her in to the barn tonight.  Why is that such a big deal?  Normally I have to lunge her first.  Tonight she had already worked off that excess,  wild bronco, energy.

© 2013 Norma M Sutton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have told people for years. Hard work living on a farm. Best people I have known have been country people. Strong as horses and not afraid of hard work. I like the way you described the hard work. Made us city folks understand the work. Large property is hard to maintain. Thank you for sharing the story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Giggles because, 'been there done that' and it's a beach )NOT( hahaha
I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

10 Years Ago

We are still muddy, but with the winds gusting up to 60 mph, the roads are finally drying out.
.. read more
Wicahpi

10 Years Ago

Waves :) Happy Weekend!!
Norma M Sutton

10 Years Ago

:) You too!

My Dear Writing friend,
You made me laugh once more, and believe it or not I could relate. My dogs live in a barn, they are not chained. They have fenced kennel runs and a fenced play yard. If there is a hole in a fence they will find it. And off they go to visit the neighbor’s dog yard. And I just had to fix five wooden fence posts that gave way due to rotten wood, did that with tee-post. There are days when all is said and done I sit in my chair, smoke my pipe, have hot tea, and remember that in my one hundred year plan, today will not matter.

Blessings, Laughing-Bear


Posted 10 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

10 Years Ago

lol isn't that the truth. I have a female guardian that can find a way out of her paddock with the .. read more
I grew up on a farm in Southern Illinois or what is referred to by tourists, who get lost trying to find the Interstate, “the sticks.” I know about fences, both wire and wood. Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

such an interestingly, written snapshot of a day in an active country dweller's life, thanks

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
oh, a taste of how a farm looks like in your writes... and Emma must be a wonderful friend to have... i never had ride any hourse before... this made me think how does it feels like... wonderful work ms. Norma

Posted 11 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

11 Years Ago

Thank you Pax. Emma is indeed a friend.
Well, I guess having the life you have makes it all worthwhile. Emma is certain to be thankful for your diligence.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

11 Years Ago

It is worth it Sam. Thank you for the comment. In re-reading what I wrote I notice several typos t.. read more
I greet you!
She sure is a awesome looking horse! Feel bad you had a bad day, hope it gets better for you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

11 Years Ago

Thanks lol. It wasn't that bad a day. Saw several small birds, mocking birds, chicken hawks and on.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Visit The Visit

A Poem by marcie


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry