Faith Statement

Faith Statement

A Story by Sarah Wlochal

"Do you not know that in a race the runners all compete, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it. Athletes exercise self-control in all things; they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable one. So I do not run aimlessly, nor do I box as though beating the air, but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified." I Corinthians 9:24-27
            This Bible passage has special meaning to me because I compete as a cross-country runner. As a runner in a competition there is a lot of energy, tension, concentration and hard effort put forth into keeping my eye on the prize which is to come into the finish line as a winner or at least to try and beat my last time. If I get distracted I lose my way and maybe never finish the race. I have to have a lot of self-control in making sure that I make the right choices each day with the food that I eat so that my body stays healthy, and I have to discipline myself to run on a daily basis. 
           I compare the Bible passage to my running in a spiritual way. I try to stay focused on the prize, which is God. In order to help me do this I pray, I go to church on Sunday and participate with my Christian community. I read the Bible. All of this helps me to stay spiritually healthy. If I do not do these things I could easily get distracted and lose my way. My imperishable wreath  is eternal life with God. 
          I believe in Baptism I am created anew. The water and the Word are connected by Baptism. I need water to live just like I need the Word of God to live my spiritual life. We cannot be baptized without the Word of God. In Baptism my sins are washed away. Baptism is a gift from God in which God tells me that God forgives my sins and promises eternal life with God. 
         I believe that God protects me from evil and provides me with the necessities that I need in order to live a rich spiritual life. I believe that Jesus has freed me from sin and Satan, not with money or gold, but with His precious Holy Blood. I believe that when I was baptized I was assured that all of my sins were forgiven and I became a part of my Christian family.
       I will live my life serving God and praising God's Holy name. I thank God for God's gift of life to me. I thanks God for giving me the tools to win the race. 
 

© 2011 Sarah Wlochal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on July 25, 2011
Last Updated on July 25, 2011

Author

Sarah Wlochal
Sarah Wlochal

Platteville, WI



About
I was on this website a while back but have updated a lot of things since then. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin Platteville studying elementary education. I have a boyf.. more..

Writing