My Professional Teaching Autobiography

My Professional Teaching Autobiography

A Story by Sarah Wlochal

I knew I wanted to become a teacher at a very young age. When I was younger I attended a public school. Learning at any subject was difficult for me because many of my teachers never paid attention to how each individual student learned. This process followed me throughout my middle school years. Many teachers only taught one specific way. I realized then how important learning was. I want to become a teacher so that every child in my class has a fair chance at learning in their own, unique way. Children are our future, and they need to be prepared for the future or they will not be successful in the working world. A wonderful teacher makes their students feel good about themselves and they help the young realize their hopes and dreams.
            I am attracted to the profession of teaching because I want to make a difference in children's lives. Changing kid’s lives takes big step for a lot of people. Anybody who wants to work with children needs encouragement and support that they will succeed wonderfully with the lives of children. In changing the life of a child you will always experience risks but you must look beyond those risks and see the bigger picture of what you could change in a positive way for one child's life. A teacher never knows the home life of a child therefore it becomes most important that any child comes to school and feels secure within their environment. If the children experience wonderful teachers starting early on, they might get a whole new perspective of life and what it feels like to live a fun life while learning at the same time. Children should never seem pressured though. If you pressure a child then the child will back away even more. 
        My decision to go to college for a teaching career was finalized my junior year of high school when I was lucky enough to have for my U.S. Literature teacher, Mr. Robert Gomoll. He motivated his students, encouraged them and he made learning fun. He is passionate about his job. He always made the time for any student, never made them feel stupid or insignificant. He has the patience of a saint. Every student of his was treated fairly. He was there when you needed a shoulder to lean on and he truly listened to what each student had to say. He respected his students and they in turn had the utmost respect for him. He made a real difference in his student's lives.
      My most outstanding teachers were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Outstanding teachers have the ability to take the blandest subject and turn it into an exciting and interesting one. The object is not always for teachers to teach the students, but to guide them in learning it themselves. They must provide an environment where students are free to ask any questions that wander deep within their mind and where they will know that those questions will be honored and answered. 
     I remember the very first time I talked about becoming a teacher was when I was in third grade. My teacher was always so kind to me and made learning interesting. That is when I told myself that I wanted to become a teacher because she made learning come alive for me and she treated me with dignity and respect as a human being, so she made me want to learn and do well. In my opinion a teacher who can be fair, firm, and consistent but knows how to have fun and make learning interesting is top notch in my book.
        A central idea that I have is that I believe students respond to motivation. They respond to kindness and I believe that a teacher needs to be patient with them. I believe teachers always have to be aware of what their body language says to a student. They are not stupid; they can tell when you are not interested in them or if you are showing impatience because they may not understand it the first time. I would convey my enthusiasm about any assignment to my class because enthusiasm itself is a good motivator; I would spend a good deal of time explaining exactly what is expected of the assignment. I know students who have a clear understanding of what is expected will perform up to the best of their ability. It has also been my experience both personal and as an observer that students who do not have that motivation to learn should not be criticized for their bad answers or unwanted behavior. They should be rewarded for their right answers and their good behaviors as everyone likes that feeling of recognition and sense of, "Yes, I did it! I really did it!" It raises their level of self-esteem. Above all I think that students can do their best in the classroom when their teacher is caring and appears as an actual human being to them. The best way one can do this is by sharing little bits and pieces about you, perhaps some mistakes that you made when you were their age. This personalizes you to the students and does not make you seem unreachable.

© 2011 Sarah Wlochal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on July 25, 2011
Last Updated on July 25, 2011

Author

Sarah Wlochal
Sarah Wlochal

Platteville, WI



About
I was on this website a while back but have updated a lot of things since then. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin Platteville studying elementary education. I have a boyf.. more..

Writing