Thoughts on being a journo

Thoughts on being a journo

A Story by Srinivas
"

A short piece on my experiences

"

One of the lures of journalism is seeing one’s name in print. The underlying intent in this of course is expression which is guaranteed in a free society. Exercising the power of speech and wielding words in written expression is an art and science. No wonder, ‘writers’ are a breed apart. I will not yield to the temptation to delve into the quotes of writers on writing. I daresay that people from all the sections of the society are touched by literature of all kinds the exalted, the mundane and the in-betweens. Talking of vocal expression and the written word, one cannot forget to stress the importance of listening, reading and absorbing. In a scenario which is increasingly becoming a global village, we, the people are continually exposed to not only information in the form of hard facts but are being influenced to think in different ways. The flip side being -- an overload of information. Even if information is power, we are also vulnerable to too much of a good thing.

Questions crop up…that in itself is a good thing. Not for nothing is it said, a doubting mind thinks. As I write this piece, I try my utmost not to be influenced by second hand knowledge or fall a prey to labels. I know I will be fooling myself if I were to believe that the ideas I have expressed are mint fresh. Undoubtedly, I am a product of my circumstances and I am expressing what I have learnt from far and near. To come back to where I started. The attractions of a free society. Besides freedom, I would say it is the power of being aware. Aware. I am tempted to say aware with a capital A. Ha! What difference, if any, will it make?


 

 

  

 

           

© 2017 Srinivas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on February 5, 2017
Last Updated on February 5, 2017
Tags: Lures of Journalism

Author

Srinivas
Srinivas

Chennai, South India, India



About
I am a journalist. I have switched from being a career to a freelance journalist. Needless to say I am interested in reading and writing. I strive to make sense of myself and my personality with relat.. more..

Writing