(GFWC Matches 47/48) Ghana Gains 2nd World Cup Win, Macedonia Progress with Chile

(GFWC Matches 47/48) Ghana Gains 2nd World Cup Win, Macedonia Progress with Chile

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 28th, 2018 (GFWC Matches 47/48)

Ghana Gains 2nd World Cup Win, Macedonia Progress with Chile

Ghana 3-2 Iraq

Macedonia 1-0 Chile

 

Ghana has won their second World Cup game in a solid performance against Iraq, only for their Round of 16 hopes to be stopped by goal line technology and Macedonia as they beat Chile 1-0.

 

Ghana started well against Iraq and scored early to put the Asian side on the back foot. An Iraqi clearance found Wakaso just left of central midfield. He rode the tackle from Adbulraheem before firing low into the bottom right hand corner, just missing the slide block of Adnan. 

 

Straight after, Ghana had two shots saved by goalkeeper Sabri. The African team, needing multiple goals to have any chance of progressing to the knockout stages, kept attacking. Finally, their second came via Jordan Ayew. Right midfielder Atsu had run down the right wing without his marker and crossed the ball. The two Iraqi defenders ran to cover Gyan, who ran under the ball, leaving space behind for Ayew to head in a sensational goal. 

 

Gyan soon joined in, being played through the Iraqi defence by Andre Ayew, only for the assistant referee to deem his run offside.

 

Four minutes from halftime, Jordan Ayew nearly had a carbon copy of his first when he headed an Agyemang-Badu cross. This time, however, the crossbar was in the way and the ball bounced on the line before spinning back into play and Lateef headed it away from Ayew’s follow up. Andre Ayew then volleyed the clearance, but it flew overhead. At first the Ghanaians thought they had their second through that header by Jordan Ayew, but the goal line technology deemed it had just hit the line. Replays continued to pepper the screens, and some could argue the ball bounced over the line. The referee’s decision remained in place.

 

After the break, Ghana stepped off their acceleration and Iraq worked back into the game, little by little. A corner resulting from a saved shot found the head of Alaa Ali Mhawi, only the touch was soft and Brimah easily gathered the ball. Ali Husni won a good chance to score, but fired to the left of the post. Abbas also had a shot and fired wide.

 

Still, Iraq sought their first goal. They restructured their players by bringing on Mahmoud and placing Abdulraheem up front. The decision soon paid off, as the substitute received the ball from Abdulraheem and ran forward, past one defender and into the box. His shot across goal found the far side of the goal.

 

Buoyed by the prospect of a second goal, Iraq continued attacking. Adnan’s shot needed a good Brimah save. Then moments later, Waleed won a tackle from Amartey. He played the ball across to Abdulraheem, who fired first time into the roof of the goal.

 

With the scores level, both sides ramped up their attacks. This brought Ghana back into the game, where they advanced down the right wing, winning a corner. Acquah stepped up and jumped over Lateef, winning the game for Ghana.

 

However, Iraq would not give up. In injury time, Brimah was needed for Ghana once more (six saves in total) with a great diving save. Ghana breathed a relieving sigh as they had won, but Iraq had made them earn it, while themselves earning some respect in spite of not winning a game. 

 

Attentions turned to the result of the other game. 

 

Chile decided to rest players due to their great goal difference. They perceived it was near impossible to miss out on qualifying for the Round of 16. 

 

The Macedonian striker Pandev was first to have a chance in the game, as Macedonia needed a win to progress. Unfortunately his shot flew to the left of goal. Four minutes later, he attacked down the left wing, but Chile’s defence prevented a shot.

 

Chile then turned up the attack and possession. Isla worked well down right midfield, attacking at the Macedonian defence. His second drive at them resulted in a shot from long range that flew over the top. Mena’s shot then needed a Bogatinov save. Chile kept penetrating, but their final shots were off target. One such culprit was Castillo. Another was Hernández, whose two shots were wide or blocked by a steely Macedonian defence. Meanwhile, Macedonia had a half chance, only for Bravo to ensure they did not score.

 

After the halftime break, Macedonia could sense a lacklustre Chile might offer a mistake or two, and went on the offensive. Alioski produced a great run down the left wing, and Bravo needed to punch his cross away as it neared the goal and an attacking Macedonian head.

 

Ibraimi was the next to have a chance for Macedonia, only he missed the mark. Then, Pandev had two opportunities on goal, but missed to both sides of the goal. 

 

Macedonia’s best chance came from another cross from the left wing. This time, substitute Jahović found himself unmarked and tried to volley it in with his left. Bravo managed the parry the shot away, and eventually the ball went out for a corner. From there, Pandev kicked the corner perfectly to Stjepanovikj. Though Isla reached the ball first, Stjepanovikj’s force on the ball made it head in the goal’s direction. It hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced past the goal line, confirmed as a goal by goal line technology. 

 

Macedonia erupted in jubilation and straight away sought about keeping their lead, for it would take them into the Round of 16. However, Chile would not be outdone. Isla again attacked from right wing and shot, only for Bogatinov to save the ball. For the final few minutes, there was a scramble for Macedonia to stop Chile from scoring. In the confusion between Mojsov and Bogatinov, the ball managed to pass the goalkeeper and trickle towards goal, however, Chile was deemed offside in the play directly before, and Macedonia felt lucky, for the ball had crossed the line.

 

With the final whistle blown and the results tallied, Macedonia could celebrate their progression into the next stage. The difference was two headers on goal, one for Macedonia that crossed the line and one from Ghana that did not. Chile remained top of the table and now play against England in the Round of 16, while Macedonia see how they will fare against Ecuador. All four teams progressed from the two tightest groups in the World Cup, which means these games are going to be tight.

 

 

 

 

Ghana

3-2

Iraq

7

6

50

19

1

1

85

76

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

8

5

50

24

0

2

62

71

  8’ #11 Wakaso

 25’ #9 J. Ayew (#7 Atsu assist)

 45’ #3 Gyan off, #14 Boakye on

 55’ #5 Partey off, #18 Amartey on

 64’ #7 Atsu off, #6 Acquah on

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 86’ #6 Acquah (#11 Wakaso assist)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 64’ #17 Alaa Ali Mhawi off, #10 Younis Mahmoud on

 74’ #10 Younis Mahmoud (#8 Mohanned Adbulraheem assist)

 74’ #11 Ali Husni off, #21 Hammadi Ahmad on

 74’ #22 Ali Abbas off, #5 Yaser Kasim on

 80’ #8 Mohanned Adbulraheem (#13 Amjad Waleed assist)

 

 

 

Macedonia

1-0

Chile

7

2

44

17

0

2

28

73

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

8

3

56

19

0

1

37

80

 

 60’ #19 Ibraimi off, #7 Trajhevski on

 60’ #20 Spirovski off, #15 Jahović on

 

 

 71’ #17 Stjepanovikj (#10 Pandev assist)

 71’ #11 Hasani off, #2 Musliu on

  60’ #21 Diaz off, #8 Vidal on

 

 

 66’ #16 Castillo off, #22 Puch on

 68’ #20 Aránguiz off, #6 Fuenzalida on

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Group G

Country

P

W

D

L

GD

Pt 

Chile

3

2

0

1

+8

6

Macedonia

3

2

0

1

+2

6

Ghana

3

2

0

1

0

6

Iraq

3

0

0

3

-10

0

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on July 1, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing