(GFWC Match 32) England Grind out Win over Costa Rica

(GFWC Match 32) England Grind out Win over Costa Rica

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 24th, 2018 (GFWC Match 32)

England Grind out Win over Costa Rica

England 1-0 Costa Rica

 

England has fought out a tough win over a defiant Costa Rica with a goal from striker Sterling.

 

The European side had the first opportunity to score with Sterling’s shot blocked by a sliding Calvo before Alli’s follow-up flew wide.

 

From then on, Costa Rica had the better run of play, though England looked more likely to score from their chances. Calvo turned to attack as he fired a long shot overhead. Azofeifa’s half-chance was blocked, before a Ruiz double attempt was thwarted first by Man of the Match Stones, and then Pickford’s right boot, before being cleared by Walker.

 

Tejeda was the main force for Chile in midfield and rose to take on the English defence. His first attempt zoomed way over the bar, while the last shot of the half was semi-blocked and rose out of play.

 

After the break, Costa Rica switched to five defenders as they fought for a nil-all draw. On the other hand, England flipped back and forth between three at the back and four, using the width as ways to advance, particularly through Young. Lingard thought he had scored in the 49th minute, knowing he had beaten a diving Navas, only for the ball not to curl into the top left corner. 

 

Eight minutes later, England’s pressure turned into a goal. Lingard placed a through ball to Sterling, who took an earlier shot than anticipated and snuck it past Navas.

 

Lingard should have had England’s second, after a great run by Sterling. In a similar position but slightly wider, Sterling cut the ball across the box instead of shooting. Lingard was too eager to score and the shot sailed over the bar.

 

Sterling went himself eight minutes after, but was too far out, and the ball easily missed. Still, England sought that elusive second goal. Substitute Rashford (for a poor Kane) stole the ball from Gonzalez and shot, only for Navas to make his body so wide that somehow he stopped it. From the resulting corner, Trippier missed a good chance, and later Rashford missed a header for goal. From that moment, England kept possession, and ran out winners by the solitary goal.

 

England still holds third place, thanks to a better goal difference for Costa Rica. Costa Rica next face Ecuador, while the English hope to win against Libya. All four teams still have a chance to make the Round of 16, though Libya must make up six goals to overtake both England and Costa Rica on goal difference (and must score three more than England while hoping Ecuador trounce Costa Rica). Ecuador can only be eliminated if Costa Rica win by two goals and England by three. The Three Lions will need a win over Libya and hope Ecuador defeat Costa Rica or hold them to a draw. This is truly shaping up to be one of the closest groups of the World Cup. The final matches for Group H take place on June 28th. 

 

 

 

 

England

1-0

Costa Rica

10

3

52

20

0

3

30

72

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

5

2

48

12

1

2

40

70

 

 57’ #7 Sterling (#6 Lingard assist)

 

 67’ #6 Lingard off, #17 Dier on

 67’ #9 Kaneoff, #22 Rashford on

 

 89’ #12 Trippier off, #19 Alexander-Arnold on

 

 45’ #14 Azofeifa off, #11 Venegason 

 

 67’ #21 Ureña off, #7 Bolaños on

 

 

 71’ #5 Borges off, #9 Wallace on

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on July 1, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing