June 23rd, 2018 (GFWC Match 28) Lithuania Grab Late Goal to Draw Against Colombia

June 23rd, 2018 (GFWC Match 28) Lithuania Grab Late Goal to Draw Against Colombia

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 23rd, 2018 (GFWC Match 28)

Lithuania Grab Late Goal to Draw Against Colombia

Colombia 1-1 Lithuania

 

Lithuania has scored late through Česnauskis to sneak a draw against Colombia, with both nations now sitting on two points apiece and unclear on their progression to the Round of 16.

 

Colombia brought in Izquierdo for Falcao, while Freidgeimas tightened Lithuania’s defence.

 

It was Lithuania’s defence that looked shaky for much of the first half, barely holding on to a clean sheet. The first real chance came in the 17th minute, when Rodriguez smacked the post with a forceful shot. 

 

Lithuania then countered with a Verbickas shot that fired over the top, and the Colombian defence closed down another. The resulting corner led to a header by Žulpa that needed a glorious Ospina save. When the Colombians cleared the next corner, it fell to Vaitkūnas, whose shot sailed to the left of goal. The score remained at 0-0 at halftime.

 

After the break, Colombia scored an immediate goal. Cuadrado won the ball in midfield and streaked straight to goal. With Man of the Match Izquierdo staying level, Cuadrado waited until the Lithuanian goalkeeper, Gertmonas, was out of position. He guided the ball across goal to Izquierdo, who kicked it with the outside of his right foot and into the goal.

 

Colombia kept control of the game, with further half-chances. The Lithuanian defence closed down the first, while the second was a cross that Rodriguez managed to reach, but could not turn the ball towards goal. Sánchez had an opportunity in the 68th minute, only to force the ball upwards.

 

Against the run of play, two substitutes combined to level the scores in the 83rd minute. Ruzgis collected the ball from Grigaravičius and guided it to Česnauskis running from the right wing. He touched it under the armpit of an advancing Ospina and into the goal.

 

Stunned, the Colombians tried desperately to stop Lithuania scoring a second goal and snatch one themselves. As full time approached, Ruzgis nearly produced a goal, only to be thwarted by Ospina. Česnauskis had a shot with a free goal, but Mina got enough of the ball, and Fabra ensured the ball trickled out for a corner.

 

The Colombians then counterattacked. Substitute Falcao won a muscling battle with Freidgeimas. As he shot, Gertmonas stuck up his left hand, and saved an almost-certain goal. The resulting corner reached an unmanned Muriel, but his header was too high for the goal. The whistle blew and Lithuania half-celebrated, knowing they scraped a draw when they seemed out of the game.

 

Colombia and Lithuania, both with two draws each, will wait the results of France and Kenya. No matter what happens in that game, both must win their final game to make it to the knockout stages. Lithuania face a formidable France, while Colombia could see a win take place over Kenya, but will have to finish their chances, unlike the game today.

 

 

Colombia

1-1

Lithuania

9

4

48

16

0

3

44

75

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

7

1

52

20

0

2

14

75

  49’ #21 Izquierdo (#11 Cuadrado assist)

 

 

 

 68’ #10 Rodriguez off, #9 Falcao on

 68’ #13 Murillo off, #17 Mojica on

 

 83’ #7 Bacca off, #14 Muriel on

 

 

 59’ #9 Matulevičius off, #14 Ruzgis on

 59’ #21 Lukša off, #11 Novikovas on

 68’ #13 Verbickas off, #7 Česnauskis on

 

 

 83’ #7 Česnauskis (#14 Ruzgis assist)

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on July 1, 2018
Last Updated on July 1, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing