(GFWC Match 21) Might of Italy Cater for Togo

(GFWC Match 21) Might of Italy Cater for Togo

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 21st, 2018 (GFWC Match 21)

Might of Italy Cater for Togo

Italy 3-0 Togo

 

Italy has almost assured qualification for the Round of 16 after a powerful display against Togo, with three goals from three different players.

 

Italy made one change, swapping Chiellini on for Barzagli. Djené and Atakora made their first appearances for Togo after the African nation’s win over Vietnam. 

 

It was Atakora who had the first chance early before Akakpo tried from distance, both to no avail. A solid Italian defence stopped Gakpé’s shot.

 

Both teams attacked on the counter from this moment. Florenzi missed, with Mensah saving it twice before Djené cleared the ball. Two minutes later, Immobile had a great chance right front of goal, but fired the shot to the right.

 

As the break neared, Togo gave away a free kick right on the edge of the box. Bernardeschi nominated himself and took the shot after Pellè did a dummy run. The ball sailed about mid-height past a diving Mensah and into the netting.

 

Moments later, Florenzi ran into the box away from defenders. Mensah’s body saved the low shot and resulted in a corner. Togo could not clear repeatedly, but held on while Italy failed to penetrate for their second goal.

 

After the break, Italy took control in the midfield and looked to pierce Togo’s defence. However, Gakpé caught the Italians on a fast break. Luckily for the European side, Buffon was able to close down any shot.

 

Man of the Match Bernardeschi nearly had a second from free kick, but it was parried away by Mensah. The resulting corner by Bernardeschi found substitute Balotelli, only for the header to fly over the bar. Immobile’s soft shot on goal produced nothing, so the Italians switched tactics. Bearing down the left, Balotelli suddenly changed direction and crossed the ball in with his right. Florenzi was at the back, and he ran to the drop of the ball. His clear header knocked the ball across goal into the top left corner.

 

Seven minutes later, Italy had another goal from a header. This time it was from a corner and from substitute Jorginho, whose shot slid over Mensah’s reach and just under the crossbar, right in the middle of the goal. 

 

Togo tried for a consolation goal, but all they hit was woodwork. Balotelli then reached for a good header from yet another corner, only for it to be saved. Jorginho nearly had a second with a header from the following corner, almost a mirror image. This time, the ball did hit the bar. Still, Jorginho celebrated with his fellow teammates at the final whistle, ensuring a solid victory over Togo.

 

With the Vietnam-Denmark to follow straight after this game, it will be interesting to see how Group C will finish. Italy will be sure to qualify. The question is, if Denmark knock off Vietnam by a significant margin, who will win in the final game between Denmark and Togo? That takes place on June 26th, while Italy face Vietnam at the same time. 

 

Italy

3-0

Togo

16

11

53

15

1

5

68

83

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

6

0

47

18

2

0

0

74

 41’ #21 Bernardeschi

 

 60’ #16 De Rossi off, #14 Jorginho on

 60’ #9 Pellè off, #17 Balotelli on

 

 

 78’ #8 Florenzi (#17 Balotelli assist)

 78’ #11 immoblie off, #10 Insigne on

 85’ #14 Jorginho (#21 Bernardeschi assist)

 

 45’ #5 Akakpo off, #14 Segbefia on

 

 

 60’ #8 Agbégniadan off, #7 Dosservi on

 65’ #18 Atakora off, #10 Ayité on

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on June 23, 2018
Last Updated on June 23, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing