Italy Begin Campaign with Win Over Danes

Italy Begin Campaign with Win Over Danes

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

June 16, 2018 (Match 5)

Italy Begin Campaign with Win Over Danes

Italy 2-1 Denmark

Italy have hung on to defeat Denmark in their opening World Cup match, with Florenzi and Pellè scoring.

 

Early on, it was Denmark who went on the attack. Delaney and Lerager both had early shots, though they fired off target. Lerager’s shot was the best chance early, but shooting it over the bar became the norm for him and his Danish teammates. That was until Vestergaard’s long-range shot needing Buffon’s deft parry. 

 

Italy then put pressure on the Dane defence, resulting in a goal in the 38thminute. A pass by Bernardeschi to a running Florenzi caught two defenders watching. Schmeichel ran to dive on the free Florenzi, and the ball popped upwards. Florenzi, the first to react, headed directly for the centre of the goal. The Italians had the lead and sought to consolidate it with another goal.

 

In the second half, Immobile won a penalty, thanks to his body positioning annoying the Danish defence. The referee noticed Kjær impeding Immobile’s drive. Pellè stepped up and slotted the ball in, with Schmeichel hardly diving when he knew he had been wrong-footed. 

 

The Italians adjusted their structure and made substitutions to ensure their lead. Bonucci was rewarded with an early shower after a Man of the Match performance thwarting the main Dane striker, and Chiellini substituted on. The Danes saw this as an opportunity to gain a goal back. Poulsen from Denmark had a few chances to score, only Buffon kept saving the shots, or causing the Dane strikers to make tiny mistakes. In the 88thminute, Cornelius had a chance to best Buffon. The goalkeeper raised his right hand and the ball bobbed up, allowing Buffon time to recover.

 

Two minutes later, Poulsen missed an easy one-on-one chance, guiding the ball to the right of the goals. Finally, as the game entered additional time, the substitute Schöne glanced a ball to the advantage of Cornelius. The striker looked to veer to the near post, but changed direction and shot across the face. Buffon saw this, only the ball edged under his dive, and the Danes had a consolation goal. That was all; the Italians gained their first win for the World Cup.

 

Italy will want to continue a winning form against Togo in five days, whereas Denmark will seek a win against AFC debutants Vietnam.

 

Italy

2-1

Denmark

5

3

54

18

2

0

60

79

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

15

6

46

14

2

2

40

84

 38’ #8 Florenzi (#21 Bernardeschi assist)

 

 

 65’ #9 Pellè (pen)

 65’ #11 Immobile off, #17 Balotelli on


 

  82’ #16 De Rossi off, #13 Verratti on

 82’ #19 Bonucci off, #3 Chiellini on

 

 

 

 45’ #9 N. Jørgensen off, #21 Cornelius on

65’ #4 Kjær

 

 

 69’ #7 Kvist off, #15 Sisto on

 82’ #10 Eriksen off, #8 Schöne on

 

 

 90’ #21 Cornelius (#8 Schöne assist)



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on June 13, 2018
Last Updated on June 13, 2018

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing