14th December, 2016

14th December, 2016

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles are details of the qualification process for the official second Global Futbol World Cup to take place in Russia in 2018.

"
14th December, 2016
Stephen Clark, GF official correspondent

Nigeria
This qualifying campaign has been a shock to the system for Nigeria. After successful qualification for 2014, they progressed to the Quarter Finals, bowing out to Slovenia. A game of particular note was the Serbian game, where they dominated possession and sent the Winners of Group A packing. 
This early relegation hurts. You will see this on the faces of the players in their final games. Two World Cups (though the 2010 format is classed as unofficial) in a row: now they have to watch from the sidelines. Currently, their ranking is 52nd. They hope to raise that in their games against Egypt and Algeria, although with those teams eager for qualification in such a tough group, gaining any points off these teams will be an immense feat. Is this the end of Nigerian dominance in Africa?

Senegal
Senegal face similar feelings as four years ago when they bowed out of Group B early in qualifications. The team only managed to draw two home games and win the other two. What was worse was the defeats away. They finished 7th in the group and were diminished to 107th in ranking. 
Their last few years have fared no better - with their ranking reduced to 116th, with recent addition to the GF rankings side Tanzania hot on their heels. Time will tell if Senegal can rise to the occasion when they take on Cameroon, Burundi and Mauritius in the Continental Cup.

Greece
Greece, the first European team to be ineligible for Russia, are feeling the pinch of the financial crisis. Despite their 2014 ranking rising from 122nd to 94th now, they are not yet competitive in Europe. Qualifications last time around only yielded 3 draws. This phase has not fared better. Greece will watch now as the remainder of the teams vie for a spot at Russia. Perhaps a new management of both their team and their nation will fare them well for 2022.

Canada
Last time around, Canada finished 3rd in their group of five and came away with no home losses. This campaign, however, failed to mirror that team of four years ago. Their rank has dropped from 45th to 77th, with India and North Korea (currently) slightly ahead of them. To bow out so early in their campaign is sure to hurt the nation, and possibly the coach’s chance of remaining in charge. Perhaps the Continental Cup group with Guatemala, Ecuador, Suriname and US Virgin Islands will serve them well in climbing back to a respectable level.

Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago’s efforts during the qualification campaign have been woeful, to say the least. They have shown little courage at home or away, and have little to suggest they will improve. A loss to Paraguay in a Continental Cup match is signs they are not ready to take on the big leagues. They may fare better against St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, and Bermuda. Currently ranked at 119th (down from 109th after 2014), more was expected of these Caribbean hotheads. The nation's passion for the game saw them qualify for the first two unofficial GF tournaments. Not only did they qualify, but they turned heads doing so. Nowadays, they barely scratch the surface of their former teammates’ quality to compete. It is unlikely to change, though, but we have seen bigger turnarounds.


© 2017 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on September 3, 2017
Last Updated on September 3, 2017
Tags: Sport, Alternative History

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing