If you were an ocean I'd learn to float

If you were an ocean I'd learn to float

A Chapter by Blaire Starling

        I didn�t feel much better the next day, but it didn�t stop me from faking my way through first and second period. Avoiding the library during my free period, I found Andy sitting on the steps with the rest of the very small group of rich and popular. It would be a lie if I said I didn�t belong there. In everyone else�s eyes it was probably the best place for me. I certainly fit the part. But I didn�t really like anyone except Andy, and I didn�t like the way they acted or what they did or really anything about them. That really put a damper on the whole thing. �Hey James. You feeling better?� Andy asked, sliding out of Brayden�s lap. He didn�t roll his eyes anymore. He knew where he stood. Caleb, Me, Him. We were the important men in her life (her dad sort of floated in ranking.) I smiled that wonderful fake smile. �A bit.� I lied. She smiled. Her eyes told me the truth. She knew. I sat down beside her on the top step. �Anyways, as I was saying-� McKayla said with an eye roll. I hated her. I didn�t care for some people. I even didn�t like a couple. She was the only person I truly hated. She glared at me, tucking a highlighted wave behind her right ear. I wasn�t listening to her at all. I was simply glaring right back. �James, man. Ms. Glad called your name in calc yesterday- where were you?� Brayden asked. He had interrupted McKayla, cutting off her thoughtless rant. I decided I liked him that day. �Lying on the grass in the courtyard.� I shrugged. He nodded as if he understood. �You goin� today?� He looked and sounded almost hopeful. I had no idea why. �Yeah.� He seemed relieved. I pondered that for a moment before turning back to Andy. �I gotta go to photography now. See you at lunch.� She smiled up at me. I waved as I walked away.
        Kris was in my photography class. We sat next to each other like we always did when we had classes together. Mr. Ford sat a small, terrified looking freshman next to us. He was timid. I thought we probably scared the s**t out of him. �I�m Kris.� Kris grinned. He was always so happy. �James.� I nodded. The kid blushed, swallowed hard, and sighed. �Stephen.� He said quietly. �So Stephen� �Kris was thinking hard of something to say. �I like your hair.� I broke the thickening silence between us all. He blushed even redder. It was cute. And I really did like his hair. Black with bright orange highlights. It was nice. The orange seemed to set off his eyes. Light grey blue. �Thanks.� He smiled. He was cute. I smiled back. �Doesn�t anyone like my hair?� Kris asked in typical Kris fashion. Loudly and with little thought. I smiled again. �Yes Kris. I like your hair.� I chuckled a bit. Stephen grinned. �I do too. The red is really cool. And your ears! That�s awesome!� I looked at Kris� gauges. Double 0�s. They were solid clear pegs with little spades on them. Very Kris. �Thanks. What are yours?� Kris asked. The conversation was in swing. �Only 10�s.� He replied. �They�re cute!� Kris laughed. I shook my head. I smiled.
        �So, do you have a girlfriend?� Kris asked curiously. Stephen blushed. I knew why. �Uh� no�� He looked at the table. He was obviously feeling awkward now. I decided to help him out. �Do you have a boyfriend?� I asked, eyebrow quirked. His blush grew deeper. �No�� I smiled. �Me either.� Kris seemed un-phased. �Really?� Stephen asked timidly, his disbelief was obvious. �Nope! He�s as free as me!� Kris laughed. I rolled my eyes. �Kris, you don�t have a girlfriend because you�re addicted to Andy. If you could ever just get over her and move on from your imaginary relationship you wouldn�t be free�� He looked lost. I smiled. �Andy McKinzie?� Stephen asked. �Yeah, you know her?� I asked interest up a little. �Yeah. Caleb is one of my closest friends. He�s really ticked that Nathan and I are a year ahead.� Stephen smiled. I thought of Caleb alone. It was impossible. He was such a likeable kid. He must have still had loads of friends at the middle school. �Yeah, that must suck. Oh well, he�s resilient!� Kris laughed. He didn�t know Andy well, but I had hung out with Caleb a few times. The three of us played video games. The kid was unbelievable. He beat us every time, in every game, on every gaming system. I smiled at the memories. I had forgotten I could have happy memories.
        At lunch, I sat at my usual table. I waved at Andy. She raised an eyebrow, but I gestured to the table. Nodding, she smiled and returned to her pizza. Taking my seat between Kris and Greg, I pulled out my wallet. I wasn�t hungry. I set it down on the table next to my book bag. Kris was scarfing down a tuna fish sandwich, and Greg was picking lazily at his pasta salad. �Long time no see.� He muttered, not looking away from his noodles. �Been a long summer.� I said quietly. He nodded. I scanned over his neon green streaks. I smiled. He reminded me of Stephen. I thought they would be cute together. I didn�t know if Greg was straight or not. He had never really dated anyone, and we had never talked about it either. I was thinking about it when I noticed a timid looking figure in front of me. �Hey Stephen!� Kris grinned. I barely looked up. �Hey. Un. Do you mind if we sit here?� I was vaguely aware there was someone beside him. �Nope, have a seat!� Kris was still smiling. He was always smiling. �This is Nathan. Nate, this is Kris, and that�s James.� I lifted my hand in a wave that was quarter hearted at best. �That�s Greg.� Kris laughed, introducing him to the freshman. �Hey.� Greg�s voice was a little more enthusiastic than usual. That meant he had showed the slightest amount of interest. I smiled. They would be cute together. �So- Nathan or Nate?� Kris asked, talking to the kid across from him. �Either one is fine. It doesn�t matter to me.� Something about that voice drew me up to look. Once I did, I couldn�t take my eyes off him.


© 2008 Blaire Starling


Author's Note

Blaire Starling
Ignore the grammar and the wonderful tendency to change subjects...please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on June 17, 2008


Author

Blaire Starling
Blaire Starling

Tenino, WA



About
Hey! I'm just a soaking wet Washingtonian, happy in my soggy little corner of the pacific northwest. I live in between Vancouver and Olympia, very wet, and very wonderful. I can't seem to stress enou.. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by Blaire Starling