chapter 5

chapter 5

A Chapter by spunkyleo

the next morning, Ruth frantically coaxed me awake. “Daina! Daina! Get up! We're going to be

late!

what?” I asked groggily, still half asleep.

“school! We're going to be late for school!”

I jumped out of bed. I was still wearing my jumpsuit. I must have fallen asleep in it. “school?! This early?! These people must be completely mad!”

Ruth handed me my school satchel. Yellow, of course. We sprinted as fast as rabbits along with the other late running kids. I was faster than most of the lot. It didn't surprise me. Physical education in public school was crummy. Back at my old school in winterlands, physical education was grueling.

“that’s some speed you got beneath your feet.” said a voice beside me. It belonged to a boy. He looked older than me by about a year or two. His strawberry blonde locks of hair fluttering over his dark eyes and sheet pale skin.

I blushed. He was handsome. His chin squared off just the right way and he had deep dimples when he grinned showing off perfectly straight teeth. “t-thank you.”

“I’ve never seen you or your mate. Newbies?”

“we're transfers from the north.”

he raised and eyebrow.

“the northern springlands that is.” I wiped a bead of sweat off my hairline. That was a close one.

“I'm Paul, by the way. And you?”

“Daina . Daina Doe.”

“pleasure to meet you Daina Doe.”

suddenly, he gripped me by the hem of my shirt. “watch out!” but it was too late. I felt a crunch in my face as I slammed into something solid. My eyes rolled back into my head as I thumped to the ground.

Ruth and Paul hovered over me.

Ruth was frantic from what I could here. “oh god! Shes a mess!”

“calm down. She's fine. Just passed out.”

I blinked, my face throbbing and swelling.”

“i think she's waking up.” he snickered. “nice job smacking into a tree.” he held out a hand, pulling me up from the pine needle infested ground.

My legs shook. “thanks for distracting me.”

he held up his hands. “look, I don’t control your vision... and apparently neither do you!” he laughed snorting. “we should start walking. We're already late enough as it is. Head of the school will paddle us senseless.”

“great way to start my first day of school.” I said. “And I slowed you down too.”

“I’m used to getting in trouble. Ms. Feagan has it out for me. I don't blame her though. I'm late just about everyday and I tend to get in plenty of scraps. Who knew that she hated me so much that she'd actually hold me back. Hell, I’m supposed to be a sophomore but I’m still stuck as a freshman.”

“you must have decent grades then.” Ruth said.

“you'd think, but no. I get straight red marks.”

Ruth bit her lip. “i don't think he's a very good influence for you...” she whispered in my ear.

I scoffed, “whatever.”




© 2013 spunkyleo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on May 28, 2013
Last Updated on May 28, 2013