chapter 4

chapter 4

A Chapter by spunkyleo

the cottage was small as my sleeping chamber at the manor. The wooden floors lodged splinters into the bottom of your feet and one small room was a kitchen and bedroom. The horrid smelling outhouse stood feet away from the cottage.

I cringed in disgust. “ shabby, shabby.”

Ruth sat down near the open fire place. “it's not that bad, Daina. Reminds me much of the home I lived in as a child. Living close together like this really brings a smile to my face.”

“ Because you're so unique.” I grumbled falling into my bed mat. My stomach growled like an angry mutt. “I'm hungry!”

Emerson rolled his eyes. “feel free to take a look into the food crate.” he pointed to the box put together with cheap planks of scraps of wood in the corner of the house. “are you kidding me?” the crate was filled with a mix of walnuts, striped squash, and other organic produce of which I have never seen or heard of. I picked out what looked like an apple. The skin was bruised with brown and tender spots. I scoffed, “grand.” And flailed the apple down to the floor, spraying juice everywhere.

“spoiled brat.” muttered Emerson.

“i don't see you digging in!”

“I’m not hungry, thank you.”

“liar! You and I both know neither of us have eaten for hours!”

“ you inference is flawed, Daina. It is a proven fact that adult humans can survive longer without food than a mere child.”

“indeed. But every living thing gets hungry.” I tossed him an unripe peach. “take a bite. I DARE you.”

he stared at the stone hard peach and took a large bite. He chewed slowly, puckering his snooty mouth. His eyes watered. “see? Nothing worth crying about, young lady.”

But we all saw it. A single sparkling tear appearing in the corner of his eye. And it was genuine. He wasn't fooling anyone.

He scratched his scalp uncomfortably. “now then... about schooling for the girls...” (way to change the subject)

“ah yes,” mother said straightening up like the elegant lady she was. “to where will they be attending?”

“i thought this was only temporary mother.” I said sternly.

Mother pressed a finger to her lips.

“public school 2R.”

“public? I gaped. “this is a joke. What happened to private school where I’m SUPPOSED to be? I can't be seen wandering around the these dirty apes!”

“Daina! These kind people have took us in and agreed to treat us as their own kind. I suggest you show a bit gratitude and class rather than running your mouth.” she hissed like an agitated snake.

“sorry...” I said quietly through gritting my teeth.

Angela shook with excitement. “i haven’t been to school in years!”

“lucky you.”

“ oh no, Daina. I love school, always have. Had to drop out to raise myself and make a living when mama passed.”

my cheeks flushed. “I’m sorry, I didn't know, Angela.”

she shrugged. “don't feel sorry. At least I live in a mansion! Or used to anyway...”

I smiled, allowing myself to chuckle beneath my breath.




© 2013 spunkyleo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on May 24, 2013
Last Updated on May 24, 2013