Damn Thieves

Damn Thieves

A Story by Michael C. Sahd
"

Inspired by a D&D game I played with some friends every Friday.

"

 Feet stomped on the hard wooden floor of the tavern, all in time to a young lady and a really ugly man playing a drinking song on a stage in the corner.  The large hairy man sat on the back of the wooden stage playing a lyre, and the young lady stood near the front, singing, dancing and occasionally playing a flute. Some of the folk in the crowd would sing along swinging mugs full of ale splashing neighbors. The room was lit with oil lamps and a large fireplace near the stage. The bald, toothless bartender stood behind the bar wiping down mugs with a dirty rag, smiling while watching the musicians on the stage. The duo had asked to play and he readily agreed, knowing full well it would bring more business.

These two captured the crowd, rendering the clientele unable to turn their attention from the bards - except one. A dark figure moved silently from one shadow to another, so silent that were the room empty the mice wouldn’t be able to hear her. She slipped through the patrons unseen, and if one looked towards her thinking they might have seen something, she simply fell into a shadow, disappearing from sight. She wove through the crowd like this, covering the whole floor until finally making her way to the door of the tavern, her pockets heavier than they were when she first started her shadowy slithering. She finally turned towards the stage, stepping out of the shadows. She made eye contact with the young lady singing, and they exchanged winks. The shadowy lady stepped into the night, disappearing once again. On the stage the bards started up a new song, one even faster paced and more exciting than the others played that night. The bartender filled another mug for a drunken patron, fast becoming annoyed when the man could not produce any of the coin he swore that he had a minute ago. 

© 2009 Michael C. Sahd


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on December 29, 2008
Last Updated on January 6, 2009