Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Sam

Chapter 2


When I open my eyes the man from the elevator is holding me in his arms.

“You awake?” The man looks into my eyes and helps me up. I look around. surrounding us is the shattered remains of the elevator. The few remaining buttons that are still attached to their wires blink on and off. Besides the buttons and the teal light that glows from my watch, the elevator shaft is nearly pitch black. I can barely make out the piles of splintered wood, when the man (Who is more accurately described as a boy. He couldn’t have been more than 18.) turns me to face him. “Speak of this to no one. I will be by your apartment tomorrow to pick you up. Have a bag and your personal items with you.” I blink confusedly, but before i can speak he covers my eyes, and i feel the air rush around me. 

“What the---” I look around, but the boy is no where to be seen. Just my apartment door and twenty others identical to it. I glance down the empty corridor, i guess looking for some sort of sign of the boy. I sigh and unlock the door.

“Hey!” Kerri glances back at me. “What about your job? Aren’t they going to fire you?” Kerri looks at me with a bewildered look and sets down her breakfast.

“Uh, Kerri?” She looks up at me. “I just fell down an elevator shaft.” My words linger in the air until it finally sinks in. Kerri rushes to my side and examines my face.

“OH MY GOD! Are you hurt?!” She runs her eyes up and down the length of my body. I think about what the boy said- it couldn’t hurt if one person knew what was happening. If he wanted to hurt me then Kerri would know. This is what i think as i sit down and begin to explain what happened. At the end Kerri looks at me with a slightly confused but completely serious expression. “I believe you,” She whispers. “ I can’t believe--- I believe you!” She giggles slightly and then stands up. “Can i see it?” I don’t have to ask what she’s referring to. I pull her out the door and to the elevator.

“Help me pull open the door.” Together we pry our fingers into the small crevice between the two doors.  The steel groans under the improper use, but under both of our body weight- it opens. Kerri staggers back at the sheer drop.

“You survived that?!” She shine her phone light into the dark void. The light barely reaches the opposite wall. “Do you have the flashlight?” I dash to our apartment and pull it from one of our drawers. “Thanks,” She shines the flashlight down the elevator shaft. “And this dude- whom you’ve never met saved you?” 

“Yeah,” I point to one part of the elevator thats still somewhat intact. “Thats where we landed.” Kerri looks at me incredulously .

“Theres a million things i could say right now, but i’m only going to say one.” She folds her arms, and tosses her hair, “Are you going to leave with him?” 

“Probably,” Kerri gives me a look, “I know its not the safest thing but i want to know what happened. He said he needed me alive, and well the man did just save my life- so why shouldn’t i?” Kerri thinks about this, pulling at the hem of her skirt- as she always does when she thinks.

“Ok, but i’m going with you.”Then she stomps into the apartment before i can protest.


- - -

I stand in my room, which has been stripped of my identity- per the mystery mans request. I look at the bare walls, and wood floors - it wasn’t mine anymore. I sigh and sit on my bed and zip up the backpack that i filled with things i would need on the go. Then I lightly kick my suitcase with my foot, swinging my feet off the bed. I glance at my watch. What time would the man be by? I turn on my phone and confirm the time. 12:00 PM exactly. I run my fingers through my hair- which is still wet from the shower, when the doorbell rings. I jump up and run to the door- surprised at my own eagerness to open it, but Kerri beats me there.

“Well hi!” Kerri grins and throws me the why didn’t you tell me he was hot? look. “I’m Kerri, and this is Avery,” She says my name but doesn’t open it enough for him to see me.

“Hi Kerri,” He gives a polite smile then pushes the door open enough to address me. “Are you ready to go?” I nod slightly and slink back to my room to get my suit case. From the “living room” I can hear Kerri’s futile attempts of flirting. The boy seems exempt from flirting. I pull my suit case into the room, then gulp down my nerves.

“Uh......” i start trying to remember his name.

“Liam- don’t worry I hadn’t told you yet.” He grins and fixes his shaggy blonde hair.

“Uh Liam, I meant to tell you- uhh” I look at my feet, “Kerri will be joining us.” I glance up to see his expression. The scariest part- the lack of expression.

“She can’t” He states the words simply, then picks up my suitcase, “Lets go,”

“Why not?!” I would’ve expected Kerri to sound whiny, but instead she sounded enraged. “You think just because Avery was in the elevator with you that I’ll let her go?!”

“Its not----” He starts

“I’M NOT FINISHED!” Kerri stomps her foot and glares at him, “Before 3 minutes ago- i’d never met you. And i’m sure as hell not letting Avery leave with a stranger. You may have saved her life, but i’m not going to let you risk it.” She folds her arms in victory, and sits on the couch.

“Quite a temper,” Liam winks at me as if we already shared some private joke. “ You can come.” Kerri lets out an excited squeal, “BUT if I tell you to do something, you must do it. I don’t want you getting hurt.” Kerri grins and runs to her room to get her suitcase.

“Thank you,” I say and look into his eyes.

“For what? Letting her come?”

“No. For saving me. I didn’t have time to thank you,” Liam shrugs , and puts down my suitcase.

“I needed you alive, but i guess- you’re welcome?” He smiles faintly and glances over to Kerri’s room. “She’s kind of a flirt huh?” I nod and give a small giggle.

“You could say that,”



© 2012 Sam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like how this chapter flowed and the intensity between Liam and Kerri was a large part of that. One thing I'd be wondering about, if I were Avery, is just where Liam is going to take me. I would think that even as open minded and adventurous of a spirit she seems to be, she would be wanting to know a bit more info before committing sight unseen to his wishes. Other than that, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to what happens next. =)

Aaron

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sam

12 Years Ago

I didn't think about that but you make an important point. When i edit i'll fix that. Thank you so m.. read more



Reviews

I like how this chapter flowed and the intensity between Liam and Kerri was a large part of that. One thing I'd be wondering about, if I were Avery, is just where Liam is going to take me. I would think that even as open minded and adventurous of a spirit she seems to be, she would be wanting to know a bit more info before committing sight unseen to his wishes. Other than that, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to what happens next. =)

Aaron

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sam

12 Years Ago

I didn't think about that but you make an important point. When i edit i'll fix that. Thank you so m.. read more
Well, Liam sure has his hands full with Kerri! Something tells me he might regret letting her come along. I think her character has the potential to be the comedy relief in this story.

I think Liam should have been at least a little annoyed at Avery for blabbing everything to Kerri. Just my opinion. It's your story.

I like it that Liam doesn't seem to understand the concept of 'thank you'. It makes him slightly mysterious and ... unhuman?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sam

12 Years Ago

Thank you! I agree (About Liam being annoyed at Avery) I hadn't really thought about that- but i wil.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2012
Last Updated on July 22, 2012


Author

Sam
Sam

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Sam


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Sam


Travler Travler

A Book by Sam