Chapter Twenty Three: Love's Abhorrence

Chapter Twenty Three: Love's Abhorrence

A Chapter by Princess

         I thought the masks were silly. 

        I suppose they hid who one was a little bit, but to myself I still thought who I am was ridiculously obvious. And Emma I could have picked out just as easily. None the less, she insisted that I wear a dark blue mask embroidered with silver gems and silver lace in order to match the dress I had brought along for the ball. I entered with the king and queen at their request, since I was soon to be their new daughter (Louis had sent for them; they were to come and visit the castle so arrangements could be made. I knew they would just be absolutely thrilled at the thought of their daughter marrying another man; considering I’m getting old as far as the wedding age goes and I knew they wanted a grandchild before they had to give up their throne to me.
        I was lead into the extravagant ballroom by my betrothed. He had a very light touch on me but he most certainly walked with a straighter back and with a sense of pride when I was on his arm. It seemed as if he knew all along that he was going to marry me; I was still having a hard time getting used to how suddenly I had decided I would do so.
        On the bright side, he was charming and kind and could actually carry on a conversation. We hadn’t been allowed much time together so they could help with the making of the ballroom tonight. Every inch of the ballroom was decorated in all sorts of laces and fabrics. It was one of the warmest nights in winter, so doors had been opened up leading out to their courtyard. Luckily, it smelt more of flowers than cow droppings so the stench did not get inside.
        “Callea, I have something for you,” Prince Keefe announced quietly as we reached our posts in the ballroom. The King and Queen suggested that I stand next to them for at least the beginning part of the ball before I could go off and do things on my own. Such as dancing for example. This would assure people where my stance was on this. Since Aynah was clearly the largest city around Gathinbelle besides Kaithron, I knew that they would have wanted to show me off. The only thing I trembled for was what reaction Kaithron would have when they found out.
        Sometime when the ball started, the king made an announcement. Prince Keefe whispered to me and informed me that Kaithron and Indigo (the other wedding arrangement to the other daughter) had not arrived yet.
        “You look petrified,” Keefe laughed after he had said this. I nodded.
        “Kaithron hates me,” I whispered. I knew he was already aware of the fact but a part of me had the image of them beheading me the moment that they figured out who I was.
        “Don’t let that bother you,” he waved it away. “You’re safe here.”
        I nod my head once. “Now what is it that you had for me,” I questioned. He smiles, then reached into his pocket. Onto my left hand he slid on a gold ring with several tiny diamonds embedded into it. This was the third ring that was for me. I stared at him, and Keefe leaned down to kiss my cheek.
        There were many, many people attending the ball, all faces that I did not recognize, save a few which would visit our balls when we would seldom hold them. The king made an announcement when Indigo had arrived. Their daughter had only been promised to a duke, so not much of the family was attending. Prince Keefe explained that nearly all of Kaithron would be attending except for a couple they would leave behind to tend the war. That only made me more worried.
        An hour passed and I was convinced that maybe Kaithron wouldn’t come. In fact, I suppose I was more like hoping it. But no later had I had the thought did the announcement come out that they were here.
        I kept myself composed and Keefe inched closer to me, showing me that he would protect me. I felt grateful. Abigail inched in on my other side.
        “Ladies and gentlemen. We are pleased to announce the arrival of Kaithron. By order of rank, we would like to announce, King Donnel and Queen Faylinn,” two tall figures descended down the stairs, each devastatingly beautiful. The Queen had dark hair while the kings was very light, but they both looked so composed it seemed almost as if everyone else in the room was degraded. I gulped.
        “Prince Darcy, the heir and Princess Aven, Princess Brigit, Prince Riorden, Prince Brennan and Princess Nuala.”
        Six equally beautiful children started down the large steps but I found myself staring at the one in front. Prince Darcy. His hair was a dark black and he was tall, with a muscular build. I wasn’t sure what it was that caught my attention, but it might have been the fact that he was staring right back at me. I wanted to cower away as the announcer read on names of other courtiers, and they each came towards the king and queen, who I felt like I was suddenly standing to close to. 
        I suppose it became evident I was not a part of them though, because soon I found them each shooting glances towards me as they came close to the king and queen. I felt suddenly very self conscious and I tried my best to keep my posture well kept. 
        “Thank you for coming,” the king of Gathinbelle welcomed them when they were near. I started fiddling with my dress, avoiding the gaze of Prince Darcy that was still shooting daggers at me with his eyes. I trembled beneath all their glances. The king went on speaking, and they exchanged a few words.
        “I don’t believe we’ve met… this daughter of yours,” Queen Faylinn of Kaithron commented. I felt my cheeks reddening as they all changed their gazes towards me. Prince Keefe intertwined our fingers, and I felt a lump growing large in my throat as well as the voice in my head telling me to run getting louder and louder.
        “I don’t suppose you have met my betrothed,” Keefe spoke up, raising his chin a tad as he did so. “Your highnesses, this is Princess Callea of Aynah.”
        The queen of Kaithron lifted her chin, her face suddenly getting tight and her jaw clenching. Her eyes that were so calm just moments before seemed to become clouded over with hate. They were eyes I hoped to never see again in my life and my knees started to shake under all the hateful gazes on me in that moment.
        “We haven’t,” the queen said in a well composed voice. She took a couple of steps closer to me, then stopped to examine me. I clenched my fists together tightly. Then, she smiled. I nearly gasped as she did so. “Well you’re even more lovely than they say you are.” I wasn’t sure if her tone was sarcastic or actual but I managed to thank her somehow. Then she turned away and returned to her old position.
        “This is our daughter, Princess Emma,” the king introduced her and she let out a low curtsy. I felt a sense of relief as they all turned away from me except for one pair of eyes that did so more slowly. 
        “Callea, let’s dance,” Keefe leans down and whispers in my ear. I nod my head, thankful to get away from them. He leads me to the middle of the ballroom. The crowd around us prepared for the dance as we did, watching us.
        “The prince looked at you as if you were something to eat,” Keefe laughed as the music started. 
        “I noticed,” I nodded. “He looked like he wanted to slice my head off then and there.”        
        “It was hard to tell with the mask on. Maybe he just has harsh eyes,” he shrugs. The only one who wasn’t wearing a mask of the family was the king and the youngest daughter, who looked to young to be able to keep it on.
        “I doubt that,” I grimaced. I felt glad that I was able to talk to him so openly like this already, but I felt as if Prince Keefe would never be more than a friend to me. He didn’t exactly seem like he could be completely romantic, but without a doubt he was very friendly.
        “The queen seemed calm enough about it,” he muses. I turn to look at her and I see her turn away from me as soon as I do. Near her, I find Prince Darcy standing next to her and Emma was close by him. He was staring at me again, and I turn away. I felt awful for Emma, and my stomach turned.
        “It doesn’t mean that she doesn’t detest me,” I huffed.
        “True enough,” he agreed. The conversation remained as very simple until halfway through the song, Keefe bowed out for another man.
        His eyes were a dark green and I found myself holding my breath as his hateful eyes looked directly into mine. I parted my lips to help myself breath.
        The name Darcy translates to mean dark. I scolded myself for not remembering this before. I knew why I was drawn to him from the moment I saw him enter, for Prince Darcy, translated to the language of Kaithronese and Aynahn, was better known as Prince Kieran. I could hardly believe it myself, but the truth was that Kier was the heir to Kaithron. And I’m a complete idiot for not making the connection a long time ago.
        I didn’t know what to feel in that moment, because my heart was saying two different things. First of all it told me that I should be terrified because never before had I seen his eyes so full of the hate that was in them right then. But it also thumped with a sense of joy. I thought I would never see him again, yet here he was, and I wanted to both embrace him and run away in that moment. He knew I had lied to him then and I felt ashamed, too, but at the same time he had lied as well.
        The song ended, neither of us saying a word. I quickly pulled my hands out of his after the dance, and turned.
        Every set of eyes in the room looked away and I grabbed my skirts, practically running away from the scene. Emma caught me.
        “What’s going on?” Emma wanted to know. I clenched my stomach, inhaling a large breath. Taking one look at her, I knew I couldn’t lie. I took her shoulder and dragged her to the side of the ballroom, where nobody could hear.
        “Emma, both Darcy and Kier translate to mean the same thing. Prince Darcy is Kier, and it appears he remembers me…”
        Her eyes widen.
        “If you marry him, it wont work. He wont succumb to your seduction because I would guess that he is incapable of love. His heart has been broken twice. His eyes were so cold,” I shake my head. 
        Emma takes a hold of my shoulders. “Callea, you have become a dear friend to me in these past three days. And you’re right. It wont work. Did he love you too, Callea?”
        I gulp. “He did, but that was before he knew that-”
        “You have to marry him Callea.”
        “Emma that’s impossible-”
        “Princess,” Abigail’s voice sounds. “We have to leave. Now.”
        “Keefe-”
        “We were fools to even think of such a thing to be done. Kaithron has just cancelled the engagement,” she turns to look at Emma quickly. “And I heard the eldest daughter speaking to the prince. If you want to save Gathinbelle and your life, you will leave with me now.”
        I turn to Emma, my heart suddenly pounding with fear. 
        Whenever I thought I knew how passionate hatred could be there was always more to it. And each time it got more and more fearful.
        “We’ll write,” Emma nods. “Go.”
        “What if they kill you for trying to help with the peace?” I ask. “Come with us.”
        “They wont hurt us. They’re outnumbered and I’m sure they didn’t bring their army along. Now go.”
        Abigail drags me up the stairs of the ballroom and as soon as we’re out of sight we start to run. They were going to kill me if they got their hands on me again, so with all I could I ran out of the ballroom.
        We ran to the stables to find our coach. Abigail told me to get in and I did as she said. She attached the horses as quickly as she could and I suddenly didn’t care about the smell as I felt more scared then I had ever been in my life. 
        Leaving all our stuff behind, we started to run from the castle, at an accelerating speed.


© 2009 Princess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on October 23, 2009


Author

Princess
Princess

CO



About
My autobiography in an extended metaphor: Royal Records And The Quest For Happily Ever After The official celebrations began in this world years ago as the King and Queen declare.. more..

Writing
The Apple The Apple

A Story by Princess


Memory Lane Memory Lane

A Story by Princess