The Night of Two Lillies

The Night of Two Lillies

A Story by sienna
"

This is my fictional dark short story thats kinda a touch on fantasy, enjoy! ;)

"
   Long, long ago, sat a castle as old as the first stones it was built with. The ones said to be first crafted by God himself. It was as dark as the forest it paved a path through. This castle laid in the very depths beyond the ragged screeching "whisper willow" forest in a kingdom where people never saw sunlight. Each day passed as night for the clouds hovered over constantly. It was where the people of this kingdom were granted with rain to drink, and water to nourish the food they grew. This castle was home to those very rulers who sat as porcelain, poised, prized beauty. This castle was home to the two most beautiful princesses the world had ever seen. Their skin was never touched by sunlight for it was pale and spotless to perfection. Their hair was dark like the ravens that swarmed their castle, as dark as the nights that followed each day for their kingdom. It was said that these princesses were so beautful that it could make a person's heart stop from just one look. The two princesses were close in age but not quite close as sisters. 
  
    The first born princess, was name Davina. She was a wonderfully gifted princess who loved to play the harp. The whole castle was gifted with her peaceful melodies that she could even rock the most vicous creatures in the forest to sleep. The second born princess was named, Lorena. She spent most of her days frollicking within the castle, had no special interests in anything besides picking night lillies. She loved flowers, the poisonous ones really. She liked to crush the petals and drip it of its venom and feed it to the birds. Quite an odd child her parents thought. The two sisters grew up together side by side each waking moment of their lives. They would fight but never often, and never in front of guests. One day, when the girls were all grown up, their parents believed it was time for a suitor. They needed to be married off and sent out of the kingdom of endless nights into a court that for Davina, where she could play her harp outside in the sunlight for her new subjects, and for Lorena, to live amongst fields and fields of flowers. And several suitors did come, and did they go, the sisters could never decide. Till Davina and Lorena both took a liking to the last suitor to visit. He was tall, with dark hair, and stood strong and handsome. He liked both of the girls but in the end he had to choose one. 
  
 The two sisters secretly felt envious of one a nother, worried who the suitor was going to pick. Davina and the suitor, named Silas, were often taking frequent aking strolls together through the castle, and through the kingdom. Always talking with each other. Silas secretly would tell Davina how he would plan to spend the rest of their days with one another and even one night under the full moon he confessed his love to Davina and how he decided he made his choice to marry her. They shared the most passionate kiss under the bright moon beneath the twisted vines of prickling thorns stretched along the center of the castle. But, Lorena stood beyond the center at the garden wall where she was spying on them, peeking through witnessing their kiss. She felt so angry and furious, she felt so betrayed by her sister and even angrier that Silas did not tell her this part of their plan.

   See, earlier that evening Silas had told Lorena, who he knew was very envious of her darling sister, that he would have her be sent away without even knowing it. That way, he and Lorena could live happily together in peace without ever having to see her sister again. Lorena was not told that he would be kissing Davina under the moonlight. She stomped back to the cellar in the kitchen where they often met, and she stood waiting for him to come back. Silas did eventually come to the cellar where he explained how he needed to kiss Davina for her not to suspect that she will be going away, forever. He told Lorena, we need her to be gone, for her to leave us be so we can be in love once and for all, so she will never have to share with Davina again.
 
   Lorena, desperate to prove her love went out to the garden late at night just before it was time to sleep. She grabbed some night lillies and carefuly placed them inside the pocket of her evening gown. There they sat scented like lavender being carried to the tray where the maid often gives Davina and Lorena their nightly tea. There, she took that tray and slipped her fingers through the scented poison to be crushed, dissapated, into Davina's cup to be drunk. She walked into their shared bedroom with a stretched sly smile across her face. Lorena slowly handed her sister the cup of tea and she slowly sipped from hers. Lorena felt so pleased, she suspected her sister would never even see it coming. She watched as her sister began to choke and cough, and begin to suffocate on her own air, her face turning bright red. Her sister screamed "what did you do?!" Lorena started to laugh at her sister, but then suddenly, she felt her throat beginning to feel a little tight, a little scratchy. She started to cough harshly till she too, felt as if she could no longer breathe. Collapsing she raggedly dragged out the worlds "What is happening..." where Davina barely a whisper replied, "protecting my love" just after Davina finally laid there still and unmoving with her eyes open the light snuffed out from death taking her. Both sisters were told to kill one another, slipping each other the same poison in hopes of clutching Silas as their own, but they did not know that in the end what they would bring upon each other. It seems they were more alike as sisters than they thought. 
   
    Silas left the castle like a thief in the night, escaping the treachorous kingdom he had grown so much distaste for. The sisters he could not wait to be relieved from. He sped off on his white horse through the "whipser willows" past the cracking "path of thorns", finally to be free of the two demented princesses. However, he began to find himself lost. Going in circles. Each time he past the "path of thorns" he kept coming back to the same entrance of the "whisper willows" forest. His breathe quickened, his sweat started to form above his brow in fear, confusion. He kept trying to leave the forest any way he could but yet trapped he remained, at the entrance of the forest leading back to the dark castle of horrors. Where there were two dead princesses by his hand. Yet he had nowhere to go. He figured he could find shelter there, and no one suspected it was him who made both princesses go mad at each other, the two never got along and he knew others were aware. No wonder they did this to each other. 
   
   He strod off his horse till he was at the front of the castle where he slowly entered through the grand entry of the throne room. There it lay dark as ever, unlit from any candles to prevent the darkness creeping through every corner. There was not a soul around him, no one seemed to be awake. Silas decided to find a room to sleep in for the night and went to the same one he slept in the days he spent in the castle. The next morning he rose awake, facing no sun, only clouds to make the portrait of view out his room window. He rubbed his head still sleepy and still not used to the constant feel of night in this kingdom. Then suddenly, he began to hear something. Something, music like. He slowly walked over to his bedroom door and opened it just wide enough to see where the sound was coming from. "Hello? Anyone there?", he shouted. Yet the music still remained playing in rhythmic melody. He followed the sound, the sound of what though? It sounded so beautfiul and familiar. Silas realized the instrument that was playing, it was a harp. The only person who coud thread the strings of a harp with their own fingers was, Davina.

 But how? She was dead. Silas ran through the catsle trying to find the where the harp was being played from, but it only grew louder, bolder, till his ears were pierced and his hands were clutching his head as he began to cry. He raced towards the entry way where the exit was to leave. He pulled open the giant doors with all his might yet when they came open Silas was unable to leave. A force was pullung him back and a transparent shield blocked him from the door to the outside world. He was trapped, in this castle, forever with no way out. 

    Silas then lived out the rest of his days in agony while the constant tune of the harp played the same melody over and over. Till one night, he heard a knock at his bedroom door. Slowly he got up from the bed he laid in and opened it. There at the bottom he saw what was left for him. Silas was granted with a cup of tea and night lillies on a tray. "Who could of left this, there was no one left in the castle?" he said to himself. It was thee sisters who had finally decided it was no longer any use to continue his punishment. There was nothing left that Silas couldn't have wanted more, a way to leave. So Silas crushed the petals into his tea, and slowly sipped, facing the fate he brought upon them. In the end, each debt of hatred was paid to one another, and each was the paymnet of their very lives.

        

                                                                                THE END!

© 2024 sienna


Author's Note

sienna
I hope you guys enjoyed my dark short story! Silas was a total dick right? Let me know what I can work on for my next story. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on July 28, 2024
Last Updated on July 28, 2024

Author

sienna
sienna

About
Hi! I am a poetry (and maybe short story) writer for about 14 years now (really ever since I was little)! My poetry and writings are highly emotionally involved and can be dark and mysterious. I love .. more..

Writing