Noir

Noir

A Poem by Augustus
"

Musings about the different shades of Black.

"
Blackness has its shades
Rampant swirling waves
Often Blackness fades
Often light it craves

Black's the Void of Space
So is Silken Night
Black is fall from grace
Black, a leper's plight

Black is Death's own cloak
Black Holes feed on light
Black is acrid smoke
Black pupils give us sight

Blackness is not dark
Blackness is a door
Flints at night did spark
Man could then explore

All the Blackness shown
By the dark inspires
Teaching not to moan
But to ignite fires

Life is a palette fair 
By thousand hues adorned
Mixed by Him with care
And Black was never scorned

© 2013 Augustus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
S
It is often associated with evil and darkness, the color black. People always cast aside black from their happy moments. Only remembered in gloomy times. That being said, I feel that black always reaches out for light. Always absorbing the radiance. Trying to get its share of good things which has always been denied to it. I like how the ultimate stanza represent the unbiased nature of God towards the socially excludes color. Its a beautiful poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your perceptive review Sayrandhri!



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
I am really drawn to darkness, so of course when I saw the title I had to click on it. I really like how reading this feels like the wind blowing in gusts. I can't think of a better way to describe that... I love that the blackness is turned into the light of learning in this poem. It is a bit of a surprise and nothing is better in any form of writing than giving the readers something other than what they expected to find. The poem is very well written and executed.
wonderful work

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your insightful review!
The multilayered meaning of the color to human. A mere color can speak to us in many different ways. How interesting, I have the same fascination with the impact of the color to the human soul, only that mine is the twilight changing shades --from Astronomical Dawn to Nautical and to Civil Dawn, and to you is black. "And black was never a scorned. ", something that you left to ponder.

I 've notice also that you kept a consistent rhyming pattern : abab, cdcd, efef...and it just flow so naturally like a cascading water. I always say this here that I admire those who respect the traditional manner of writing poetry. Respect to you dear poet...




Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your detailed review, Belle! I have indeed built my style around traditional.. read more
Wow. You really highlighted the symbolic shades of the colour black. I think it's brilliant,funny and oddly enough,informative. Loved it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
This is a really neat poem. I like how it showing that Blackness is just not dark, and can have other meanings. It is a wonderful write.

"Life is a palette fair
By thousand hues adorned
Mixed by Him with care
And Black was never scorned "
This is a very good example of it, and one I think stood out the most.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
"Blackness is not dark
Blackness is a door
Flints at night did spark
Man could then explore"

Splendid write...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

11 Years Ago

Thanks Sanjeeta! I had almost forgotten about this poem! :)
Thanks for making me look at it ag.. read more
 Sanjeeta Sharma Pokharel "Hridayaninadini"

11 Years Ago

Phenomenal, they are...
Augustus

11 Years Ago

Glad you find them so. Thanks :)
I'm so happy you sent me this! Ha! Noir... the 'lovely' shade of black.. my lastname!
Very interesting concept you have here Augustus! You're right, there are so many different shades of black, but you've seemed to have missed out on one of the most known shades around here! Haha! I'm just joking around. Yet again, you never fail to amaze me, really, who would ever think to write an ode to the colour black?! I have a new perspective on the shades of black, and look at it with a whole new light. Thanks for this!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My favorite "absence of color" is black. I have never been able to grip the concept that black is the absence of color and white is all color; I give up trying to figure that one out. I loved your ode to black!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Writer #00

11 Years Ago

You probably won't see this, but it's the other way around. Black is the result of every colour mix.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1068 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 23, 2010
Last Updated on October 18, 2013

Author

Augustus
Augustus

Cambridge, MA



About
My name is Shreyas Gokhale. I have a PhD in Physics from the Indian Institute of Science and am currently a Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. However, I guess.. more..

Writing
Polyphemus Polyphemus

A Poem by Augustus