Dead Trees Standing, another Adventure with John in his Red Ford Truck

Dead Trees Standing, another Adventure with John in his Red Ford Truck

A Story by Shelley Warner

It’s September 4, 2021 and we head out I 5 North, connecting with 503 towards Cougar, Washington. We pass through tree tunnels, where trees bend over the road. We notice fir trees with dainty pinecones sitting upright on the branches. We slow down for a grouse crossing the road with its head held high and we see a chipmunk dash to the center of highway and disappear down a hole right in the middle of the road.  As we drive on, flurries of yellow alder trees rain down upon us. “It’s the first sign of fall,” we agree.

“Didn’t you tell me that you used to go camping near here?” John asked.

“No, but my brother Chris camped in Cougar every year with his wife Becky and her family. We came up once and he drove us around Yale Lake in his boat.” 

I tear up remembering Chris. He had to sell that boat later to pay for medical expenses when he was battling lung cancer. I remember a photo of him, sitting on my mother’s book case. His hair had grown in after chemo, soft and white and  ripples of the lake at Cougar provide the background. Such a serene scene.

John and I leave the Cougar area and drive up Forest Road 25, connecting with Forest Road 99, climbing up a narrow road toward the back side of Mount Saint Helens. We get out at a viewpoint and read a sign that identifies three mountains before us. To the left, rises Mount Adams, brown with white trails coming down its slopes.  “That’s probably where the sun doesn’t melt the snow,” John explains. Above Mount Adams, rests a circular cloud, looking like a UFO.  The middle mountain is Mt. Hood. We think about my grandson, who is hiking the mountain with his uncle this weekend. And finally, on the right, is Mt. Saint Helens, what’s left of it.

As we meander up the narrow, winding road,  John points out a site where a car, made famous by the volcanic blast,rests. The Parker family had parked there and hiked to a lodge eight miles away. They lost their lives when the mountain blew and their car sits, to this day, where they left it, rusted and flattened, with wild flowers growing through its hood.

We emerge from the forest-lined road and gaze out upon hillsides where dead trees are standing, ghostly monuments to the explosion on May 18, 1980. Many other trees lie on the hillside, knocked over by the blast. It’s like a tree cemetery.  But among the dead, new evergreens grow along with green ferns and bushes.

It’s been six years since my brother Chris passed away. His ashes are scattered at the Cougar Campground. And at Mt. Saint Helens, it’s been forty-one years since the volcano blew, but there’s still dead trees standing.  We saw two memorable places that day. It’s been another great adventure in John’s red ford truck.

© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A poignant write Shelley. Your travels with John took you to some beautiful places which evoked memories. I lost a younger brother to cancer seven years ago, such a huge loss. So sad to hear your brother had to sell his boat to find his cancer treatment. May our brothers rest in eternal peace. Thank you for letting me sit on the back seat again for your descriptive excursion.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

3 Years Ago

What a nice review. I like the part where you thank me for letting you sit in the back seat. I'm sor.. read more
It's so hard for me to believe it has been that long since the mountain blew its top. I had already left the area when it happened, but was saddened by such a tragedy. As you now take us there, I am even more saddened by the details of your brother. Having lost my brother at a way too young age, I feel the sorrow. (Heart disease and cancer--damn them both!)
Yet among tragedies past, there is hope of renewal. I always enjoy these rides with you and John.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

3 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel. I am sorry for the loss of your brother too. Yes, them heart disease and cancer. A.. read more
Samuel Dickens

3 Years Ago

I was stationed on Whidbey Island in the early seventies. While there, my wife (now ex) took a few e.. read more
Shelley Warner

3 Years Ago

I see a typo in my first comment. I meant to say damn heart disease and cancer. My father also died .. read more
A wonderful story shared dear Shelley. I love the history shared and the photo. I take my grandchildren to places my grandparent took me. Create memories for them. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

3 Years Ago

What a nice reviewer you are, Coyote. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Thank you.
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

I did love the story and you are welcome dear Shelley.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2021
Last Updated on September 7, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Kind Of Man My Kind Of Man

A Poem by KAREN


Battling Burma Battling Burma

A Poem by Bubo