How to Re-caulk a Shower or Bathtub

How to Re-caulk a Shower or Bathtub

A Story by Shauna Allen
"

Anyone can recaulk a bathtub or shower. All you need is a caulking tube and a caulking gun. But if you do not prepare the surfaces properly, caulking will not last long.

"

Recaulking basics


Anyone can recaulk a bathtub or shower. All you need is a caulking tube and a caulking gun. But if you do not prepare the surfaces properly, caulking will not last long. And if you are careless, the messy caulking work would ruin the look of even the most beautiful work on the shingle.




We talked to a few experts to find out how they get such smooth and clean caulking lines, and we'll show them their technique. And we'll show you the best way to remove the old putty and prepare the surface to get a long-lasting caulking job. Finally, we will give you a heads-up on how to avoid the most common caulking errors.

 

You can remove the old putty, prep the surface, and recaulk a tub or shower in about four hours (including drying time). You will need a razor scraper and single edge razor blades, caulk remover, mineral spirits, paper towels, utility knife, caulking gun, and Kitchen & Bath caulking. A oscillating tool with a flexible scraper blade really speeds up the work of removing the old putty, but you can do the job without it. Then we show you how to get started.



Removing Old Caulk 


In the tutorial how to caulk as a professional, I describe an easy technique for caulking your bathtub or sink. Once you have decided the right putty for the job, the preparation for caulking is important to get good results. And the first step is to remove the old putty if your caulking work is not a new installation.

In this tutorial, I will give you some tips on how to easily remove old latex caulk or other types of caulking and tips on how to prepare the surface for your new caulking.


Like anything else, the preparation has a lot to do with the quality of the final results, and so does the caulking. You will want the old caulking removed and the surface clean well before you try your new caulking work. It is not difficult to get a well prepared surface.

© 2017 Shauna Allen


Author's Note

 Shauna Allen

So what is Caulking anyway? In accordinf to The Review Search There are several types of caulking depending on whether the project is interior or exterior and involves concrete, gutters, moldings, roof, windows, plumbing or other uses.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on August 14, 2017
Last Updated on August 14, 2017
Tags: Home Improvment, tools