Mono

Mono

A Story by Shafaz
"

A (very) short story that takes place in the same universe as my poem Happiness.

"

She strolls out of the white-washed house as though she is off to her wedding, what with the white dress she is wearing. She is happily humming a little ditty, the one her mother used to sing to her when she was young, and has a slight skip to her step. Looking about, she can't help but notice that it is quite the nice day. A clear blue sky is above her, and warm green grass below.

 

Taking in a deep breath of apple scented air she crouches down to her knees. The grass isn't as soft as it first seems, so it lightly pricks her bare toes, but she doesn't mind. Today is the best day of her life. The first day. Nothing can bring her down.

 

With that thought in mind, she wipes the wet blood off of the sharp kitchen knife gripped nonchalantly in her right hand. A smear of red is left, staining the bright forest below her. It reminds her of Christmas, and she quietly giggles at the silly thought.

 

She rises to see a rundown car lazily strolling along the street, towards her. Trying to peer through the muddy windows from a distance, she can barely make out the blurry images. One of the glass screens rolls down to reveal the face of a bright redhead.

 

"Are you ready?" The flame-headed girl calls, ecstatic.

 

She laughs in reply. Looking back at the white-washed house she remembers all of the days she spent there. She has many happy memories of the place: foolish games of tag with her baby brother, cooking mac'n'cheese with the foster children, and being cuddled up between her parents during those grim, stormy nights. She really did have fun with all of them.

 

She sighs reminiscently, then glances down to the silver knife held in her hand, and breaks into a heart warming laugh. She jogs towards the run down car that currently houses her four new friends, and jumps into the waiting arms of the redhead. "It's great to be free, isn't it?" she exclaims, trying to place herself onto the bumpy rear seat, while the car makes its way down the road.

© 2011 Shafaz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on December 25, 2011
Last Updated on December 25, 2011

Author

Shafaz
Shafaz

Somewhere to the west, Canada



About
I'm older than I was before. more..

Writing