Warrior * Prologue *

Warrior * Prologue *

A Chapter by merbear22
"

A sneak peak at our heroine mid-adventure.

"
They're right behind me.

I could hear them shouting above the thunder. My heart pounded in my throat, and it was becoming harder and harder to breathe as I ran. I gripped my side, covering the gash, praying to make the pain stop. Branches and thorns ripped at my skin and clothes as I forged past, and the vegetation reached out to trip me, but I couldn't stop. I was barely running now - it was more like stumbling forward - but I couldn't give up. I couldn't let them catch me. Not for anything. 
I came to a small clearing and hesitated for a second to think of where I was. My head was reeling, making it impossible to think straight, and the heavy rainfall made it hard to see very far in front of me. I took a shaky breath, exhaustion clouding my mind.
I couldn't feel my legs.
I couldn't feel anything, really. I felt like I wasn't even present in my own body, but that I was somewhere back in the woods watching myself struggle. The forest seemed to spin around me. I staggered to the side, the trees blurring together. My knees finally buckled and I collapsed in the middle of the clearing.
I stared up at the dark sky, not wanting to close my eyes for fear of not being able to open them again. I knew that if I didn't do something about my wounds fast I would bleed out, but I was too weak to move. The voices got louder as the men drew closer. 
Unable to move, I watched helplessly from beneath heavy eyelids as the dark figures gathered around me. They just stood there and looked at me for a moment, their faces obscured by shadows as they exchanged a few quick words I couldn't make out. 
My mind grasped desperately for an escape plan, but I couldn't think of any way out of this. A gloved hand reached down and covered my nose and mouth, blocking my air.

I've never felt so powerless.


A week earlier . . .


© 2015 merbear22


Author's Note

merbear22
This is something I've been working on for a while now, so if you like the introduction and think this might be your kind of thing, feel free to go on. There's a ton of cool stuff in for you. :) Also, please let me know what you think; constructive criticism is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this a bit better than the other prologue, only in that it didn't contain any markers of our world. In that way, it felt timeless. I would definitely keep reading past the prologue if I had the book in my hand, lol.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

cant wait to finish reading the rest. Thanks for sharing

Posted 9 Years Ago


merbear22

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
I thought that it was really good. Excellent grammar😜!

Posted 9 Years Ago


merbear22

9 Years Ago

haha thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2015
Last Updated on June 9, 2015
Tags: prologue, sneak peak


Author

merbear22
merbear22

PA



About
Hey, I'm Meri. :) In short, I'm a geek. Not gonna lie. I've always loved to read stories. Especially everything exciting and soul-wrenching. ;P You know, fighting, romance, betrayal, the fun stu.. more..

Writing